News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Shinnecock (pictures)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »
Philip -

What course in GB&I does Shinnecock most remind you of? Royal St. Georges?

DT

Philip - great pics and an interesting choice of RSG in relation to David's question.

Having played it a few days before you - Shinnecock for mine brought back memories moreso from Muirfield (notwithstanding the terrain changes) ? The clubhouse was an everpresent feature and backdrop. As were the routing directional changes.

Both are wonderfull experiences - the greens at Shinnecock were a highlight and as good as any I've putted on.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
Philip,

Your photo tours do such a great job of capturing what is special about a course. Thanks for posting this.

I, too, eagerly await your tour of the National.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:21 AM »
Kevin, you make a good point re Muirfield and the clubhouse. I was biased towards RSG because I had been there within the last month and Muirfield not for a while. Obviously the latter also has championship scale - I suppose in my mind RSG leaves more of an impression of a huge property with quite discreet holes laid within it, and you get a (relatively) similar feel at Shinnecock. But I think you are right that Muirfield probably belongs in the grouping.

Jim the course did not play especially "firm and fast" - but that may just reflect that there had been a lot of rain around over the recent past. Also, with lots of holes having a lot of elevation change, you are often thinking of the ball in the air, not on the ground. That said, the openings to many greens allow you to run the ball in, but the condition of the greens/course was such that you felt that a good shot was going to hold the green.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Phillip Yes the green complexes are so good. Much like Augusta, one does not  merely aim at middle of the green or pitch to the cup. You have so many little things to look at when planning your shots especially the short game.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
For me, Shinnecock remains the No.1 course that I would most like to play that I haven't yet... and these photos just enhance that sentiment... Thanks Philip...

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
Philip:

Wonderful photographs of Shinnecock. If you would like we could tell you about some of the alteration andrestoration items that've been done there in recent years as well as what is hopefully still in the pipeline to get done.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:42:49 AM by TEPaul »

Tom Birkert

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
I've always thought that the UK course that drew the closest parellel to Shinnecock was Muirfield. Both are very fair tests, not tricked up in any way, shape or form and reward good shots while punishing bad ones.

The ways the holes play in all directions enabling the wind to influence play is another similarity.

I love Royal St George's but the fairways have a lot more contour and you can really get some strange bounces there - not that I have a problem with that - but I think Muirfield is more like Shinnecock in terms of playability.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
Tom P - I would love to hear more about the work done to the course, and work still to be done. David Brookreson was one of our four on the day I played. I think you know him? Sounds like he has a formidable golf CV.

Tom B -  I did discuss in an earlier post the Muirfield comparison, and why I went with RSG. I agree that it is in some ways more obvious and there are some stronger similarities - maybe it is the fact that I have seen blue sky more often at RSG that persuaded me otherwise!

Niall Hay

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
WOW...that's all I got...

Tony Nysse
Pine Tree GC
Boynton Beach, FL

Ditto!

Best pictures I've ever seen of that course, looks incredible! Just make my day...thanks!

TEPaul

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
"Tom P - I would love to hear more about the work done to the course, and work still to be done. David Brookreson was one of our four on the day I played. I think you know him? Sounds like he has a formidable golf CV."

Philip:

I'll try to do it and slowly, little by little starting at the first and going forward.

Yes, I sure do know David Brookreson. In my era in tournament play he (everybody calls him Brooky) was one of the handful of big guns around here (and he beat me a lot more often than I beat him). We played a lot of stuff against one another over the years. He's a great guy on the course and off. His advice and opinion on most things is sort of like his golf swing----eg not much superfluousness; short and sweet and to the point.

One time we were playing in something and I was trying to figure out whether I should get married and so we were talking about it on the course. I guess I was thinking about and talking about things he thought were unnecessary and too much and so he just turns to me and says: "Look, do you love her or not?" I said; "Yeah, I love her" and he said: "That's all you need to know", end of discussion and end of story!  ;)

By the way, Brooky has a great wife and family. His wife, Donna (sp? but pronounced "DOH-NA"), was one of the real supporter wives out on the tournament circuit. She was out there on the course with him and with us more often than not in those tournaments.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
Thanks for that Tom. He had a very engaging directness and friendliness of manner. When I heard that he had been something like 5 times club champion at PV I knew I was in the company of a serious player!

I look forward the slow roll-out of knowledge on the great course - that will help me remember it better, and whet the appetite for a return.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back