News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Buda 2009 - wash up & hole in one!
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
As the previous thread is running to 16 pages I'm starting a new thread to clear up and enable any photos to be added and easily viewed.

Well what a week, decent weather, 2 fine courses running F&F, good food especially the beef wellington, much wine, a splash of Kummel, a first class talk from Gordon Irvine and most importantly excellent company.

As Tony mentioned Nick Leefe's hole in one at Deal will be long remembered and we hope he enjoys the memory via the print of the 4th at RCP.

Due to Nick and Jim's generosity there is a small refund due to one and all, unless there are any objections I intend to go out and have a good meal donate it to the GCA contributions fund. I will do this after one week unless people wish a refund, PM me if you do.

Tom Birkert had serious domestic issues hence his no show, unfortunately he had emailed me a work but being a shift worker I missed it. I hope he gets things sorted soon.

For those who enjoyed Deal foreign membership is available for around $500pa and country membership for a shade over £500 when various foreign and local reciprocal arrangements are considered you may wish to join the growing band of GCA/Deal members!!

The final thing I'd like to reflect on is the number of brilliant courses in the south east of England enjoyed before, during and after BUDA. In addition to Royal Cinque Ports and Royal St Georges various "members" played Rye, Littlestone, Sunningdale, Swinley Forest, West Sussex, Walton Heath, Huntercombe and I'm sure a few more as well. Whilst this part of the UK may not have the depth of quality links courses enjoyed in Scotland and Ireland the inland courses combined with the links over a world class golfing experience all within 90 minutes of London.

Final, final thing, the organiser despite the pressure returned four wins, no losses and no draws!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:03:58 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

Re: Buda 2009 - wash up thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
Chappers

Even though I didn't make it, I am pleased you made the effort to organize the Buda.  I know its a lot of hard work, well, easy work anyway.  It sounds like all had a great time.  I know today Mayday was glowing with his report of your organizational skills. Thanks again. 

I don't know what people have in mind for next year, but I am willing to try and pull something together at Pennard and another venue (Porthcawl, Tenby?) if there is sufficient support.  My efforts would surely pale in comparison to yours, but we all must try.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »
Well, I'm back home and must say this was a great event and superbly organised - thank you to Mark Chaplin and also to Craig Disher for doing Littlestone. I felt like a guest, not a customer, in all three clubs. It was the best week of golf I ever had.

Sorry to not having stayed around for the winners presentation and opting to get in another 18 holes at Deal instead, but it was just too good of a course, too nice of a day and too rare of an opportunity. That being said, are there any official BUDA results out yet?

I will post a few of my best pictures as soon as I find time, but must already forewarn that there will be no pictures of the Deal ladies, as we were not allowed to take any on that round. That being said, while I don't mind that the refund goes to GCA contributions, I do insist on getting my 3 pounds contingency back for staying in front of the ladies! I believe we beat them by 4 holes.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:45:17 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:27:04 AM »

I don't know what people have in mind for next year, but I am willing to try and pull something together at Pennard and another venue (Porthcawl, Tenby?) if there is sufficient support.  My efforts would surely pale in comparison to yours, but we all must try.

IT would make for a wonderful Buda Sean and it would be great to have you there. 
Pennard is unique and as Tom Doak noted in the Confidential Guide, an incredibly friendly club. We would be made most welcome.  That said there are other ideas still crystallising in the ether.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Thanks to the organizers, particularly Mark "Chappers" Chaplin, for putting together such a terrific Buda Cup this year at Royal St Georges and host club Royal Cinque Ports.  I really don't see how such an event could be arranged without the good assistance of the members of Deal.

The GB&I fellows are being very good sports by not mentioning the final result, but they were victors by a comfortable margin when the first day lead of 8-1/2 - 7-1/2 by ROW at Sandwich was disintegrated on Wednesday by a 7-1/2 - 4-1/2 drubbing in the afternoon singles by the GB&I team at Deal.

The Thursday morning fourball finale at Deal was frosting on the cake for GB&I as they won those matches 4-2. 

I think the final margin was 4 points clear for GB&I.  Well done.

My sidekick from Pensacola CC, Joe Buehler, and I also enjoyed rounds at Huntercombe (thanks, Philip!), Rye, and Littlestone.

Rye, Littlestone, Deal, Sandwich.........WOW!  I do love the links of Scotland, but this was an incredible quartet of links golf. 

The Buda is the best.  GCAers who haven't been should start planning now.  There were new players this year -- Mike Malone, Bob Jenkins, John Mayhugh, Ulrich Mayhring from Frankfurt, Scott Warren from Sydney-- so the teams continue to change, but the nucleus of the Buda spirit is there every year.  Thanks again to all who had a hand in arranging this terrific match.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
Thanks to "Chappers" for making this year's Buda Cup such a wonderful event. The golf... the fellowship... the food... the weather... this might have been the best Buda yet!!!!

For those of you who have not attended a Buda you need to add it to your Bucket List. It is three of the best days of golf you will ever have in your life!

And, for those of you who have not had the pleasure of visiting Royal Cinque Ports, Royal St Georges, Littlestone, etc... you need to do so. You will find some of the best links golf on the planet.

Following are a few pictures from the fellowship portions of the Buda. Numerous photos of the course will be posted, I'm sure. But these photos will give you a great feel for what the Buda is truly all about.

Tiger Bernhardt enjoying his "Pie & Peas" at the Monday evening gathering at Royal Cinque Ports:
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
"Dollar Bill" McBride, Nick Leefe and Joe Fairey discuss Nick's recent return from the MacKenzie Cup at Crystal Downs.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »
Scott Warren joins in the conversation with Bill, Nick and Joe.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
Andrew Mitchell & Ian Dickson plan team strategy.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Ulrich Mayring dreams of winning 5 points for the RoW team... which he did!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
At the bar... Chappers entertains the bar maids.
At the table... Joe Buehler and Mike "Mayday" Malone talk to someone in a red sweather (don't know him!)
At the window... John Mayhugh and Joseph Fairey

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »
Mike - the chap in the jumper is RCP club historian David Dobby
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
Chappers displays his meat pie to the ladies!
By the way... that's the Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club jacket Mr. Chaplin is sporting. Now you know why Sean (Scott?) calls it a deck chair cover!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »
Out for dinner... more pixs to come later.

Paul Nash

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
That last picture jogged a memory - the barmaid in the black dress was lovely! A very friendly club with nice ladies, sun, good company....what more could you want!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
One minor correction.  On Wednesday morning Ulrich transferred, temporarily, to GB&I to make it, for one morning only, Europe vs RoW.  I am delighted to report that I had the pleasure of being his foursomes partner and can report that he played 5 matches and won 4 points for RoW and one for Europe.  As Mike suggested elsewhere, the handicapping system in Germany must be tough if Ulrich is a 17!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
Paul - that is Laura who is a great host and very valued by the members especially as she was seriously ill earlier in the year. How many clubs would close the bar after 1 a.m. ?
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »
Indeed, and participate in a spirited discussion about the behaviour of public schoolboys in golf clubs and towards women in said establishments. She and Alison are top notch.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
Mark, many thanks for your stellar efforts. I am sorry I was not there for longer, but at least long enough to be your partner once and to s'under the fancied Fairey boys! Till next year!

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 02:23:11 PM »
At the bar... Chappers entertains the bar maids.
At the table... Joe Buehler and Mike "Mayday" Malone talk to someone in a red sweather (don't know him!)
At the window... John Mayhugh and Joseph Fairey

Never fails, Mayhugh is everywhere! It's like those "Where's Waldo" books.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »
Phillip I didn't get the chance to play with Joe, last time out as partners we won our match for Deal at Oakland Hills. I did however manage to shake Joseph's hand on the 16th! Tony and I must arrange a little home and away with you Huntercombe boys, especially as I've now met you twice at Deal and you've played neither time.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »
Mark, if you do that you might need to re-handicap the "Huntercombe Boy" who shot 78 at Deal off a handicap of 13 on Wednesday morning ;D

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
As Mike suggested elsewhere, the handicapping system in Germany must be tough if Ulrich is a 17!

No worries, I played at home today and my usual miserable game is back! However, I did say before the event that my links course handicap is probably about 14, but the team captain hush-hushed me :)

But it's interesting to compare the golf between Kent and at home:

* I am getting zero roll here, so my home course plays much longer.
* I am not making any three-putts or short-game bloopers at home, our greens are dreadfully boring and easy to hold compared to links greens.
* I can't make any longer putts at home, because our greens don't roll true - in Deal or Sandwich, if I read the putt right and stroked it well, it would go in from any distance!
* I am getting many more bad lies at home, on links turf, on or off the fairway, I can just about smash every ball that I find.
* There is no wind at home - however, at Buda there wasn't much either, but that would be another major difference usually :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:29:49 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Joe Fairey

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
Buda 09...a fantastic week...everything posted to date is absolutely correct...and for anyone who has not experienced Buda ..you owe it to yourself...sometime, somehow, somewhere...congrats again to Nick Leefe on the first Buda hole in one, also to Andrew Mitchell who continued his unbeaten streak in Buda singles.....I saw it for myself firsthand this year...well done Andrew and Nick....until next year

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:34 PM »
Rihc, Craig Disher and Philip Gawith.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back