News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

The Royal Aberdeen Golf Club, which lays claim to the title of “6th oldest golf club in the world,” features two golf courses situated on the northern border of Aberdeen within minutes of the town center. Of these courses, the Balgownie Links is clearly the main attraction, occupying the dune-laden portion of the club’s property along the north-running coastline. The original layout was designed by Archie and Robert Simpson, with subsequent tweaking performed by James Braid, Donald Steel, and Martin Hawtree.

FYI: My other pictorial threads from this trip can be viewed at the following links:
Royal Dornoch http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40107.0/
Brora http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40120.0/
Golspie http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40126.0/
The Castle Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40204.0/
Murcar http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40281.0/
Crail: Craigshead & Balcombie http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40325.0/
Lundin Links http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40387.0/
Muirfield http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40439.0/
Cruden Bay http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40565.0/
Gleneagles - Kings Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40675.0/
St. Andrews - Old Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40696.0/
Gullane #1 & #2 http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41085.0/
Panmure http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41122.0/
Gleneagles - Queens Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41152.0/
Kingsbarns http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41184.0/
Royal Aberdeen - Balgownie Links http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41498.0/
Carnoustie – Championship Course http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41834.0/
North Berwick - West Links http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42104.0/

*not featured: Nairn, Eden, New, Castle Stuart (tour)

Compliments of Mr. Melvyn Morrow, this map from the 1890's show how little the routing has changed in the last century+, although the course now measures at up to 6900 yards.

The first hole is a par 4 measuring 409 yards from the tips the brings the course immediately to the shore. A drive that carries 250 yards will clear the bunkers which pinch the fairway on both sides.

The second shot requires a short to mid-iron played over a sizeable depression to an elevated, skyline green.

A look back to the clubhouse (scroll right) just behind the 1st tee. Downtown Aberdeen and the club's Silverburn course are viewed left.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:19:50 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Chris Buie

Re: A Pictorial: Royal Aberdeen's Balgownie Links!!! (1st Hole posted)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
One look and the first question that comes to mind is:  assuming the rest of the course has similar appeal, why has it not received more acclaim?  I imagine it is amongst the cognoscenti in Scotland but I've rarely heard the name bandied about here in the States.  Thanks in advance for the tour.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:56:22 PM by Chris Buie »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
One look and the first question that comes to mind is:  assuming the rest of the course has similar appeal, why has it not received more acclaim?  I imagine it is amongst the cognescenti in Scotland but I've rarely heard the name bandied about here in the States.  Thanks in advance for the tour.

I wouldn't say Royal Aberdeen is completely ignored, otherwise I woulnd't have included it in my itinerary. It did recently host a Senior Open Championship and I believe the Walker Cup is headed that way.  Aberdeenshire probably doesn't lay claim to enough top-tier golf courses to compete with St. Andrews or the Highlands, but Murcar and Cruden Bay round out a more than respectable collection. If Trump's project comes to fruition and produces another couple of excellent tracks (hope endures), the Balgownie Links may enjoy a much higher profile.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Chris Buie

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm sure it is not completely ignored.  As I said, I imagine it is well known to knowledgable golfers in Scotland.  I've just heard a lot about Scottish courses and only passing comments about this course.  This website continues to be quite an education for me thanks to the efforts of people like you.
Thanks again.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Chris B. -

The front-9 at Royal Aberdeen is as good as any you will find in links golf anywhere in the British Isles.

DT 

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
I think the front nine is world class but unfortunately the quality drops noticeably on the back although it is still a fine inward half.  The movement of the fairways and greensites are just not replicated on the back.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
I used to say it was my favourite opening hole , but I stood and watched so many Seniors drive or almost drive it during the Senior Open , it amazed me .

What you also dont see in Kyles (excellent) pics , is the tee is hard up against the clubhouse , which can be a bit .... distracting , if its busy .

Yes Walker Cup 2011 is at Royal Aberdeen , I am very much looking forward to it , as I hope many of you are also ?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
I think the front nine is world class but unfortunately the quality drops noticeably on the back although it is still a fine inward half.  The movement of the fairways and greensites are just not replicated on the back.

That was my principle observation. After visiting weach cvourse, I like to go back and read what others have written, and our opinion seems to be the consensus.

It does sound as if the inward 9 has been improved in recent years thanks to some tasteful renovations. Can anyone speak to this claim?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
I used to say it was my favourite opening hole , but I stood and watched so many Seniors drive or almost drive it during the Senior Open , it amazed me .

What you also dont see in Kyles (excellent) pics , is the tee is hard up against the clubhouse , which can be a bit .... distracting , if its busy .

Yes Walker Cup 2011 is at Royal Aberdeen , I am very much looking forward to it , as I hope many of you are also ?

I assume there was a strong tailwind or the seniors weren't playing the hole from 409 yards... ??? :o

Also: I have a photo looking back down the hole from behind the green to the clubhouse which I will edit into my initial post.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:11:23 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Chris Buie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I do appreciate it.
I hope Trump doesn't muck up your beautiful country.  Anybody with a haircut like his clearly doesn't have a firm grasp of aesthetics.  If he had class he would not name the course for himself.  I am sure a more fitting moniker could be found.  I would hope that a firm hand is kept on his endeavors over there.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I do appreciate it.
I hope Trump doesn't muck up your beautiful country.  Anybody with a haircut like his clearly doesn't have a firm grasp of aesthetics.  If he had class he would not name the course for himself.  I am sure a more fitting moniker could be found.  I would hope that a firm hand is kept on his endeavors over there.

Chris

Nice thought and one that I've got a lot of sympathy with but unfortunately I think that particular horse has bolted.

Niall

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »
The 554-yard 2nd hole is an excellent par 5, one of the best holes I played in Scotland. It is here that the course heads north along the shore, continuing in that trajectory through the 9th geen.

The hole is a bit narrow, being routed through a small valley in the dunes, but the tight nature of the hole actually plays into the strategy. Players can lay back a bit off of the tee to a somewhat wider landing area or risk a longer drive into a tighter stretch of fairway.

For the second shot, players can once again risk putting themselves in trouble trying to reach the green or lay back into a wider section of uneven ground.

Bunkers are found well short of the green, challenging long approaches while factoring very little into wedge play unless there is a strong tail wind. The green features very subtle contours, yielding lots of two-putt performances.

When the gorse blooms, one would be hard-pressed to find more picturesque setting in golf.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »
Looks like its been put in the hands of Trump Jnr. who was on the local station tonight , saying how they want to evict the locals that wont move , with a market value + 15% offer   ???

But lets not get sidetracked .....

Kyle , not sure what yardage the Seniors were playing from , but a lot of them could get it onto that down slope where it would shoot up to the green .

And that was during the coldest July I have seen !

Each time I have played it (and its not often) , its always been with a prevailing wind , which would normally be off the right on the first hole .

Yes the back 9 is not as enjoyable as the front , but it can be a bit of a brute into the prevailing wind .

John Sabino

Re: A Pictorial: Royal Aberdeen's Balgownie Links!!! (2nd Hole posted)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
Kyle - Beautiful pictures, thanks for putting them up.  I agree with you that the 2nd is one of best holes in Scotland. I remember hitting a lot of long irons off the tee on the front nine as it had some of the narrowest fairways I have ever played. One of the golfers in our group tried to play in shorts when we played Royal Aberdeen and they made him put in socks that went above his knee before he could go out. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Yes John , one of the few courses we have, that sell turtle neck shirts (with logo) in their shop , "for wearing on other courses"   ???

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
I wonder if they ever use the tee in the dunes for the second hole nowadays ?

They didnt during the Senior Open .

It was one tee that has been affected by coastal erosion over the years .

In Kyles second pic. that IS a derrick on the horizon , from nearby Aberdeen Drilling School .

The interesting thing about Walker Cup 2011 week , is that it will coincide with the bi-annual Aberdeen Oil Show . I have no idea how this is going to work , as that is a week that hotel prices treble , and thats if you can find one .

Anyone on planning to visit that week would be well advised to start looking now , and maybe look at staying out of Aberdeen itself .

James Boon

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »
Kyle,

Thanks for another collection of photos from your trip. Looking forward to the rest as I've not yet ventured to this part of Scotland to play, and as has been hinted at already, there isn't much out there on this course.

The first green looks very big, or wide at least, from your photo?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 05:37:30 AM »
Cheers Kyle for putting up the pics of Balgownie links!

I have been there for Dundee Univ vs Aberdeen Uni in a Scottish Unis match in winter. The match was called off after the first group teed off. They played into gusty winds of up to 70 mph with driving rain and it was visible that the waves coming in from the north sea were higher than the dunes!! lol. The initial drives did not reach 150 yards from the best players (Scratch handicappers!!) we agreed on a draw and ventured to the bar - bleary moments! Damn i missed out on playing a great course but will definitely be back there in the future!   

Ben

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »
Kyle,

Thanks for another collection of photos from your trip. Looking forward to the rest as I've not yet ventured to this part of Scotland to play, and as has been hinted at already, there isn't much out there on this course.

The first green looks very big, or wide at least, from your photo?

Cheers,

James

The 1st green is fairly wide, maybe 35-45 yards as I recall. However, the front left portion is more of a false front than true putting surface.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »
Kyle,

Best two starting holes of your trip?

That you have ever played?

Wow - taking the course to the ocean in such dramatic fashion right of the bat is spectacular. And those rumpled fairways on the second are pure links heroin. Fabulous stuff.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »
Kyle,

Best two starting holes of your trip?

That you have ever played?

Wow - taking the course to the ocean in such dramatic fashion right of the bat is spectacular. And those rumpled fairways on the second are pure links heroin. Fabulous stuff.

IMHO

Perhaps the best opening duo of the trip, although the Lundin Links open quite strongly.

I think that the 1st hole of the Balgownie Links is a good hole, not in the same class as the 2nd.

My favorite "1st two holes" sequences belong to Bandon Trails and Spyglass Hill.

Favorite 1st hole is at Sand Hills (a class or two above the Balgownie's opener from tee to green).

Favortie 2nd hole is probably at Pacific Dunes (more interesting around the greens, but the Balgownie's 2nd is up there in overall quality).

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
At 248 yards from the championship tees, the 3rd is a very testing par 3, especially in a gale.

Three pot bunkers protect the hole, placed in a diagonal line from well short right to the left corner of the green’s front.

While the green presents a fairly small target for the distance of the approach, the surrounds are bowled enough to gather slight misses towards the hole. I managed to net a two after my slightly pulled 5-wood kicked right to 10 feet behind the pin.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A Pictorial: Royal Aberdeen's Balgownie Links!!! (4th Hole posted)
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
The 4th is a stern par of 450 yards. Like the 2nd, the 4th presents a choice between laying back off the tee into a wider patch of fairway or hitting the driver into narrow corridor (just beyond the golfers pictured). The tee is elevated, such that the hole plays a bit shorter than the yardage but tee shots are more exposed to the wind.

The narrow section of fairway features some intense undulations, offering little chance of reward for a daring drive. Conversely, laying back will leave golfers with a lengthy approach.

The green is deeper than it is wide. Double check the pin location when selecting your club and make sure you guard against short-siding yourself.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:12 AM »
Thanks for the tour...I thought this course was awesome when I played it some years back...outward 9 was downwind 25mph...we hit #3 with 9 irons!!! inward nine in that wind was very very tough! Looking at Melvyn's routing, how did 2 become a long par 5? Was #1 shifted over? that pic of #2 from on top of the ridge ( #15 or 16?) has been my wallpaper for quite some time!
It is what it is.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »

Eric

Before Tom MacWood chimes in saying I am trying (like Old Tom is accused of) stealing the credit from A Simpson. Its is most kind, well actually its not it’s rather cheeky of you, you seem to be saying that I must be at least 140 years old plus as the routing was done in the mid 1890’s. >:(  My own father was not even a twinkle in his father’s eyes way back then as he would have been about 10 years of age. So not my routing, sorry, just found the course plan.

I did enjoy the idea for all of 10 seconds, then I realized that I might come across another Melvyn who was concerned about Land Fit For Purpose, starting the whole ball rolling again. ;) :'( :'( :'(

I am of course not being serious, it is my routing, and Archie stole it from me, but he modified my back 9 plan. Always told him they were a bit suspect. ::)  But he does build and project manager a construction site bloody well. ;D

Melvyn 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back