News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Radrick Farms (Ann Arbor, MI) w/ pictures
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
I had the joy of playing Radrick Farms in enemy territory (Ann Arbor) last year.  I really enjoyed the course (until this year I thought the only Pete Dye course in Michigan...Wabeek CC apparently a Dye / Nicklaus).  I liked the front nine much better than the back nine.  The back nine had more topography but it didn't seem to flow together like the front did.  The back seemed to follow some more natural features but overall the front had more of a pete dye look and feel to it.  Really an underated course in Michigan.  Anyone played it and provide any other feedback?

FRONT NINE PICS...

BACK NINE PICS...

Deucie Bies

Re: Radrick Farms (Ann Arbor, MI) w/ pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
This is my favorite course in the Ann Arbor area.  Much preferred over both the U of M course and Barton Hills and I have played each numerous times when I was growing up.  Barton has grown on me the last couple of times I played it, but I still like Radrick a lot more.  The greens are very difficult to read.  Unfortunately, the par 5s are too short nowadays.  I like the use of back to back short par 4s (8 and 9).  16 doesn't seem to fit into the rest of the course.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
RF is a wasted opportunity imo.  A much better course should have been built with this very good property.  That said, the course ain't bad.  The bunkering leaves a lot to b desired though.  I don't think RF is a patch on the Blue Course with the exception that it is more serene being out of the city.  The greens are nowhere near as interesting and it doesn't have the interesting holes like the Blue's 3rd, 4th, 6th and 14th. 

All that said, I would join if I lived in the area because its a great deal.  I had to pass on membership the first time around and now I am on a massive waiting list. 

Thanks for the pix Brian.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Chuck Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
If I had ten rounds to play in Ann Arbor;
7 U-M Golf Course (MacKenzie/Maxwell)
2 Barton Hills (Ross)
1 Radrick Farms (Dye)

Also, I caddied for Nicklaus in his inaugural round at Wabeek in the summer of 1973, which is indeed a Dye/Nicklaus co-design from approx. '71-'72.  Truth be told, Wabeek is a co-design of Dye, Nicklaus and Chrysler Realty.  Most of the work appears to have been Chrysler Realty.

Edit. -- Sean's right about what a magnificent piece of property Radrick Farms is, and could have been.  It is the old Matthei family estate, adjacent to the University of Michigan Botanical Gardens, which was also a Matthei family bequest.  To his credit, Pete Dye graciously came back to Ann Arbor to have a second look at Radrick, and he refined a fair bit, including a fair bit of tree removal.  I just can't help picuturing Tillinghast on this large and amazing property, creating another Bethpage or SFGC...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:21:49 PM by Chuck Brown »

Jon Heise

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »
Hmm, I actually just played the UofM course this afternoon.  What a great, great piece of land to build golf courses in Ann Arbor.  Radrick looks very nice, you never hear much about it though.  I'd love to give it a whirl one of these days...
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back