News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Walker

New renovation in Rhode Island...
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
I go to Newport, RI a few times a summer.  My wife and I typically fly up from Philly, but with an 18 month old we decided we would drive this year.  On the way back yesterday I noticed a new renovation occuring on an old muni on Rt. 138--the one about 1.5 miles west of Beaver River and about 2 miles east of I-95.  Anyone aware of what's going on there?   I played the old course there once years ago when I was living in RI and it was pretty rough.  Some of the new holes I noticed looked terrific. 
On another note, was at Newport CC the other day and it was as green as I've ever seen it.

SPDB

Re: New renovation in Rhode Island...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
Probably the old Foxwoods course that they used for guests before Lake of the Isles. Can't recall name.

Jason Walker

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
No, it's not Boulder Hills--played that one as well 12-13 years ago.  It's been a while since I've driven Rt. 138 all the way across but the old stone signs for Boulder Hills were still standing--just not actual signage on them any longer.  That course and Beaver River have got to be two of the tighest routings I've ever played.  You literally needed a motercycle helmet and a flak jacket to play there.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »
Is it Meadow Brook GC.  I do not think you can see Foxwoods from Route 138.  From Google maps, it looks like they are building a new course right across the street?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
It is Meadow Brook that is being renovated, really a brand new course.  This is the second or third year and the Roger Rulewich group is doing it.  It does look good from the road although I'm not sure they're cutting enough trees.  Meadowbrook was an old beat up course.  In the winter it was drop your money in the cup.  I am looking forward to the new design.  I have looked for updated information but have found none.  Rulewich has nothing on his website.

As to Newport.  It is indeed overly green.  As you probably are aware Newport does not water and hasn't needed to this year. So green the course has needed to be closed on more than one occasion this year because of the amount of rain.  Firm and fast is entirely up to nature.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back