News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

New Albany, OH- 2 public choices
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
I am visiting the Columbus area this weekend and can squeeze in a round Saturday afternoon in New Albany. There are 2 public choices:

www.newalbanylinks.com  Barry Serafin

http://eastgolfclub.com   Art Hills

It may boil down to tee time availabilty but any comments are welcome.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brent Hutto

Re: New Albany, OH- 2 public choices
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
I don't remember it in any great details but New Albany Links suited me just fine. Pretty basic midwestern public golf but easy enough to walk and enough tightish spots not to be a pushover. But you can play the same ball for eighteen holes (as long as you avoid a couple of "burns" and the odd bit of unkempt long grass) and there's plenty of room to play without feeling hemmed in by trees or houses. If I recall correctly parts of it may play a little wet when there's been any rain in the past week or so.

No idea about the other course, sorry.

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
Steve-Unfortunately, I am going to be in Cleveland on Saturday or I would tag along with you. Of the two, I prefer East (which I think now goes by its old name of Winding Hollow). It is a decent track with no houses around it. It is not outstanding but it is solid (three of the par threes play over or near water...which I find repetitive and uninteresting). However, there are some neat holes and some mediocre ones. After all, it is an Art Hills design.

New Albany Links is not awful but does have more target type holes on it (with one rather ridiculous forced carry on Number 12...which is simply a bad hole IMHO) and is part of a housing development. At the end of the day, there is not a great deal of difference between the two but I prefer East/Winding Hollow.

If you have the extra hour, I would drive the 30 minutes East on 161 and play Granville...a wonderful 14 holes of Ross. Four holes have been lost to housing (the only section of the course where it intrudes). The Ross that is left is pretty terrific.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
Oh, I forget. As mentioned by Bill there is that one hole with the silly-long forced carry. Don't know how that slipped my mind, maybe I just skipped that hole.

But any chance to play in Granville is worth a bit of extra driving. Love that course.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
Steve -

I played Cumberland Trail, which i believe is just East of Columbus, which is a decent Hurdzan/Fry offering. 

WW

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

Can't do the extra driving as time is limited.

I'll try for a tee time at  East.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Steve -

I played Cumberland Trail, which i believe is just East of Columbus, which is a decent Hurdzan/Fry offering. 

WW

It's been ten years since I lived in Columbus, and to be honest I'm not sure if I ever played New Albany Links.  But I do remember playing Cumberland Trail and thinking it was a pretty decent course.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Did you consider walking one of The Golf Club private options?
cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
Mike,

If it's still men only, that won't work.

Brian Finn

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
Between only those 2 courses, I far prefer East (Winding Hollow).  I have played both courses this year, and Winding Hollow is not only a more interesting design, but also has better conditions.  Getting a convenient tee time should not be an issue at either course. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back