News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Return to Wild Horse
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
Just returned from our annual pilgrimmege across Western Nebraska, which included two rounds at Wild Horse.  It is such a treat to get back to that course.  For those of you who have played the course a few times, which is your favorite hole and why?

Mine would have to be #15, the short par-four.  Both rounds I hit driver towards the left side of the green, made it both times, and was left with simple pitches up the width of the green and made birdie each time.  The rest of the players tried more conservative routes off the tee, and struggled immensely with the hole.  They were heard muttering how unfair the hole was, as the front bunker could not be carried without going into the back bunker.  It was fun to listen to their whining, even more so when they heard I had birdied it each time.  What a hole!  The play from the tee differs from day to day depending on the wind, making the 340 yard par four a favorite of mine.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chip Gaskins

Re: Return to Wild Horse
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
Wild Horse is a national treasure that should be played and studied (architecturally and economically) by all.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
Scott,

I enjoyed Wild Horse a great deal, I only wish I could play it more often.

I think it's the type of course that makes you want to head to the 1st tee as soon as you leave the 18th green.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
Scott,

I enjoyed Wild Horse a great deal, I only wish I could play it more often.

I think it's the type of course that makes you want to head to the 1st tee as soon as you leave the 18th green.

Patrick,

It's nice to find something again we can fully agree on. ;D

Wild Horse is Wonderful.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
Scott, The 15th was inspired by the tenth at Riviera. No wonder you like it.

Wild Horse has many wonderful holes. 11 is my favorite Par 3 for it's look. 6 is my favorite par 5. Snaking through the dunes and bunkerless. It's hard to pick on the par 4's but certainly 5 and 15 are up there. 7, 8 and 16 getting serious honorable mention. 

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it with Ash Towe next month. There are a lot of good holes out there, hard to pick just one. I think so much of the course that a couple of years ago while on a family vacation we happened to stop for the night about one hour away. I was up at 4am to be ready to tee off at first light and was back at the hotel to join my family for breakfast. And it was worth it. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »
I loved #5 because of how precision on the tee shot is rewarded--even though the fairway is generous, I felt there was a 5 square yard patch where you could get the best look at the green.  The closer you hit your tee shot to the bunker on the left, the better, and I mean within a yard appeared to be better than within ten yards.  And as a short par 4 should, it has some nasty little armors to ruin the scores of those who miss.  A brilliant simple design.

My fave par 5 is #3, for the wide-wide open feel from the tee, luring the golfer away from the aggressive right-side play.  #9 is my fave par 3, so I guess the front nine wins for me. 

I agree, can't wait to get back.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:57:03 PM »
I think the greatness in the design at Wild Horse is that there are no weak holes out there.  My favorite par 3 would have to be #13, closely edging out #11 (short par threes are a favorite of mine), and my favorite par 5 is #14.   The fairway seems to be 100 yards wide, but the centerline bunker about 90 yards out is something to contend with if the wind is blowing.

Maybe my initial question should be list your LEAST favorite hole there and explain why.  That might lead to a more interesting discussion.

Wild Horse is just an amazing place, made even more special due to the work of the community of Gothenburg in the construction.  They shoudl take great pride in what they've accomplished.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

David Druzisky

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:04 AM »
you say it should be studies for its economic success.  Apparently so.  I talked to Schaupeter on Saturday and he said he stopped by there the other day on a drive between Denver and St Louis and they had no room for him until about 3:45!  Thats a great thing for where it is located.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
My favorite part about Wild Horse is that it's 2 hours from my house. My least favorite part is that with three girls all under the age of 5, I can't get there very often.

Hands down, the 15th is my favorite hole on the golf course. With Adam, I love the bunkerless 6th. All the par-3s do something for me; the variety from short iron to 3-wood is great.

I don't have a least favorite, but for me the 8th, 10th and 16th have always been the "hardest pars."

Scott Szabo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
My favorite part about Wild Horse is that it's 2 hours from my house. My least favorite part is that with three girls all under the age of 5, I can't get there very often.

Hands down, the 15th is my favorite hole on the golf course. With Adam, I love the bunkerless 6th. All the par-3s do something for me; the variety from short iron to 3-wood is great.

I don't have a least favorite, but for me the 8th, 10th and 16th have always been the "hardest pars."
Tony,

I'd have to agree about the 16th being the hardest par for me.  The green shrugs off shots and even those that stay on the green leave a difficult two-putt.  The same can be said about the green on the 10th.  I've played the 8th much better in recent plays.  The fairways aren't playing nearly as firm as they had in the past based on what I saw last week, so hitting the fairway on 8 has become easier.  The shot into the green isn't nearly as daunting as the 16th.

Scott

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:58:30 PM »
Per the econ lesson, Even with ridiculously low costs it took damn near ten years to get profitable.
 Same is true at Bayside.

Let's hope there are those who will heed the lesson and only build golf for the love of the sport and/or with deep pockets.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
Yes Adam, and I sometimes wonder if most all of the really great golf courses begin and are ongoing labors of love, and the pretenders are the ones that are conceived and developed for the primary purpose of cutting a fat hog in the ass.  The owners and developers of the really great ones, while surely aren't doing it to go broke yet sometimes do, but often perservere and are motivated by their love of the land and game.   While philistine developers become the generators of the indifferent and crass and ultimately failed or discounted- never to go on to be held in high regard by the astute or avid golfer, the BallyNeals, Sand Hills, Bandon, Friars Head, hopefully Prairie Clubs or modest Wild Horses of the world, endure.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »
Sorry to miss this earlier, been traveling.  My favorite is 15, but like all the holes.  8 can be brutal with a southern wind, however I found the best way to find the fairway is to aim at the Cargill elevator in town.  A quick story about why WH is one of my favorites, a friend drove the green on 12 and then immediately three putted the slick tiered green.  The best part is that after his three putt, he said this is one of the best golf courses he has ever played and he said it with a smile on his face.

When I lived in Omaha, I always enjoyed bringing the “big city” folk out to play.  They would always leave with smiles on their faces.

Scott, how did the course survive the winter?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back