News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

5 characteristics that differentiate famous architects work
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
If someone who is keen to learn about golf course architecture but has no specific prior knowledge of famous designers or their work was to visit a course what 5 basic characteristics should they look out for that are likely to help tell them whether the course was a MacKenzie, a Colt, a Ross, a Braid, a Fowler, a Raynor etc etc etc.
In other words, what are the 5 fundamental characteristics that distinguish a particular designers work?
Atb

Michael Moore

Re: 5 characteristics that differentiate famous architects work
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
1. Bunker edging
2. Bunker size
3. Bunker shape
4. Bunker placement
5. Bunker depth
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »
Looks like I haven’t made the question clear enough.
Fundamentals of MacKenzie design
Fundamentals of Colt design
Etc etc for Ross-Braid-Fowler-Raynor-etc-etc
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
Thomas good exercise as I'd be learning more than telling.  One aspect that we perhaps can assume for your exercise, but in reality not a given is the current condition / preservation of the course. We know by all these GCA's who are basically making a living by doing restorations, that the bones may be there but are long in the tooth.  Some features maybe removed or altered over the years.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
Thomas,

Ian drew's blog spot had a list of his top 25 architects with a potted version of their work and style.

http://ianandrewsgolfdesignblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/

In his blog archive 2010 scroll down to find the list.

So you have Raynor's routing skills over and above Colt's desire to have the course "residing rather than imposing on the land".

I always thought Ian Andrew's golf blog was the best out there and he STILL has not acceded to my request that he distill and compile the content in a book! Ash well!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
Good shout Colin (and Ian). Thanks for highlighting.
Atb

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
Ian Andrew's blog spot had a list of his top 25 architects with a potted version of their work and style.

Probably the last month for the blog
It's 80% gone already.

I always thought Ian Andrew's golf blog was the best out there and he STILL has not acceded to my request that he distill and compile the content in a book! Ash well!

It was too expensive to print my Thompson book, so no, that will never happen.
You may get more opinion or best of pieces published here because of that.

Change is good.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:39:16 AM »
David

I'll have a go at actually answering although not sure I can give 5 characteristics or indeed that they necessarily distinguish them from other architects but for MacKenzie I'd suggest his routing in terms of how he focused on natural landforms and made the most out of them to the extent of perhaps trying to cram too much into a confined area (Pitreave GC). Also his love of TOC and his habit of imitating with fairways playing in towards each other as though they were double fairways.

I'm undoubtedly not the best person to speak about Colt (or indeed MacKenzie) but the obvious answer for him is his par 3's and how he found them first. I assume his par 3's therefore would not only be outstanding but feel completely natural int terms of how they fit into the routing for the very reason he partially worked round them. (Colt fans - please feel free to trash this idea  ;D )

One thing I find hard to attribute to any particular architect is their use of bunkers, particularly in relation to the ODG's, since given bunkers have been moved, added to and rebuilt so many times I find it harder to really discern any particular pattern. It's easier to do that with routings.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back