News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason McNamara

Re: What Do You Consider Unfair?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:59 AM »
So Phil's only mistake was flushing a 4-iron (I think it was 4i) 225.  OK.  If he'd "missed" it and hit 5-10 yds shorter, he'd have been fine.  That green is what, maybe 15 paces wide?  Probably less than that. And it wasn't a R side flag - center R at most.

(If he actually did pull it, then he did get what he deserved.  But given the reaction to the shot, I think he believed he'd hit a good one.)

Philippe, what I was trying to determine was the length of the first shot.  I am sure it violates a tenet of this site and I will have the lynch mob after me, but I'm fool enough to think that a missed shot from 120 should get punished more than a missed from 220, par 5s notwithstanding.  And a crappy shot should be punished more than a marginal shot.  Well, maybe the 4th at the Blue Monster is the exception that proves the rule.

Anyway, I think Phil got screwed, but I recognize there's room in golf for a player to get screwed.

Robin Doodson

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 06:24:44 AM »
Question? Would you consider a plugged lie in a bunker unfair? i have 1200 members who would say that anything other than a flat lie in powder dry sand should be subject to a free drop.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
Question? Would you consider a plugged lie in a bunker unfair? i have 1200 members who would say that anything other than a flat lie in powder dry sand should be subject to a free drop.

Robin,

Welcome. Not unfair just part of the game. Play it where it lies. Now in a footprint...unfair.

Anthony

Jason McNamara

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 02:27:14 PM »
Hi Robin -

Tell your members the first step is to stop missing greens with wedges. 

And a lesson or two wouldn't hurt, right?   ;)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »
My biggest pet peeve...

If the ground is in play, you should have a reasonable chance of finding the ball within the allotted time.

If not, it should be marked as a hazard.

Nothing infuriates me more than a hole pinched in by tall "fescue" grass on both sides. You might as well replace that grass with water.

Same with Burmuda rough -- late in the season at a number of courses in my area they let the Burmuda rough get so long it swallows the ball whole.  Is that "fair," or not?  If it's same for all of the competitors, them why isn't that fair?  On the other hand,  I do know I try to avoid playing in those conditions as much as possible because I'm not an accurate enough driver to keep the ball out of the lateral hazards, I mean rough, on each side of the fairway consistently.  I can lose more balls in that stuff than I do in the water.  It's fair, but no fun for me even when my competitor is faced with the same conditions.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
The right side falls into nothingness that is much worse than this drawing -- Good luck indeed.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JNC Lyon

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
Unfair = competing against someone who is not playing the same golf course.  The 7th at Shinnecock Hills was unfair in the 2004 US Open.  Why?  Because the first group played an unwatered green, and other groups played hole with a syringed green.  It is also unfair when women compete in men's tournaments from different tees.

Bad lies, bad breaks, tough hole locations, tight driving holes, and many, many other things might reflect imperfect maintenance or bad architecture, but they are part of the game and NOT unfair.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:38:14 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back