News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Images of Bandon Dunes
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »
A look at the trailblazing 1st course at the Bandon Dunes Resort course to compliment my other recent pictorial threads found here:

Pacific Dunes
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37711.0.html

Bandon Trails
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37741.0.html

My first substantial look at the Bandon Dunes course come at 1st light from the 1st tee at Bandon Trails. From right to left over the creek one sees the 18th green beneath the Bandon Dunes Lodge, Bandon Dunes clubhouse, McKee’s Pub/Mackenzie room, the 1st and 2nd holes on the Bandon Dunes course, and the Pacific Dunes clubhouse.

Panning left from that same vantage point, much of the back nine loop is visible.

Zooming in we see the 18th fairway in the foreground, 10th green, 11th fairway getting a trim, and the 13th fairway left of recent gorse removal.

4th approach viewed from the inside of the dogleg.

4th  green viewed from the left (12thhole).

5th  tee shot. My apologies for this small morsel of narcissism.

5th hole from the short tees. Senior Henderson is about to discover the difficulty of an approach played from too far right.

5th viewed in reverse. I was very impressed by the naturalistic aesthetics of #5, especially after the slightly heavy-handed appearance of the first 3 holes.
6th viewed from front right. The green seems rather innocuous from this angle, but there is a front left bunker and severe slopes on all sides that repel imprecise tee shots.

7th hole. This is another gem of which I’ve heard very little discussion. There is a lot more room to the left than it appears, provided that one’s tee shot carries 240 or so from the blacks

7th hole as seen from a bit closer. The green is more elevated than it appears as the fairway dives over a crest past the deer.

7th viewed in reverse. My matriarch is marveling at the surprising efficacy of our combined play at this particular juncture (no thesaurus necessary). I love those fairway contours! One of the more naturally elevated greens protected by a mound front left (right of this view, not pictured) and a severe slope on the right (seen left of my maternal unit).

8th green from front left.

9th approach with Lodge at left, Inn ahead, Trails clubhouse at right.

10th hole approach from the right edge of an enormously wide fairway. The green is obscured from this angle.

10th green.

12th green from front left. I love the dune side grass bunker hidden in the hollow just right of the green.

15th hole. Bailed out long and left to avoid that potentially career-ending bunker. This picture doesn’t do it justice. That feller is deep.

16th  Hard to believe the ridge line between the lower and upper fairways is essentially man made.

16th approach after an aggressive drive.

17th

17th hole approach.

Bring on Old MacDonald!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:09:51 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt OBrien

Re: Images of Bandon Dunes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
Wow these pics are awsome Kyle. This brings back many great memories from my trip in the spring. Although I thought bandon was the weakest of the 3 courses, these pics are changing my mind!! I cant wait to get back and I will check these pics everyday as inspiration to save!!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:55:49 PM »
Kyle,

I know BD doesn't get a ton of love on this site versus the sister courses but these pics make we just as excited to play it as the others. There are some spectacular vistas - your pic of 16 after the long ball off the tee is spectacular - well done.

Ian_L

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »
Did they remove some shrubbery from the middle of the 5th fairway?  Great pics, can't wait to go!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
Did they remove some shrubbery from the middle of the 5th fairway?  Great pics, can't wait to go!

There are 3 fuzzy mounds in the 7th picture I posted. Are you referring to something else?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
Kyle:  fan-freakin' tastic, again.  Thanks for taking the time.

I too love the shot of the approach on 16.  Damn that's a tough leave, especially when things are really firm and fast, as they damn near always are there.  That little pot-bunker in front of the green is genius.

TH

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »
I love the pictures but am having a hard time getting past the black glove  :-[

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »

It was white when I put it on. ;D

Actually, that's a wet-weather glove, hence the color. As it turned out, I never needed it after the first couple of holes on the trip, but it was quite comfortable so I stuck with it..

Richard Boult

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »
you've definitely inspired a return trip for 09.... posted your photo tours at:
http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Oregon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

I like the hat w/ short sleeves combo myself. 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »

I like the hat w/ short sleeves combo myself. 

I have more hair on my arms than my head.

To complete the discussion on my attire, I should note that those "slacks" are actually rain pants, swishy sounds and all.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm thinking your Bandon costume, replete with black glove would be perfect for a new WWF character.

You'd fit in very nicely with "DX".....HHH, Chyna.....and Kyle. The crotch chop would never be the same.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »
I'm thinking your Bandon costume, replete with black glove would be perfect for a new WWF character.

You'd fit in very nicely with "DX".....HHH, Chyna.....and Kyle. The crotch chop would never be the same.

I'm ashamed to admit I have even a vague idea what your'e talking about. Perhaps my moniker should be Crotcho Libre?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

Kyle,

I love the angles of your pictures. You do not get those views while golfing. WELL DONE.

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:12:53 PM »

Kyle,

I love the angles of your pictures. You do not get those views while golfing. WELL DONE.

Anthony

I did sneak these photos in between golf shots. Generally, I was trying to avoid shooting at the sun and my playing partners' arses. I also like to climb gorse-free dunes for a little downward angle when I can.  I probably covered about 10 miles/round.

Good photos of this particular course were the most difficult to obtain since my camera crapped out when the light was best, although I did have to rounds to choose from. I only had a single loop at Bandon Trails.

It's pretty cool what you can get with a $200 handi cam these days.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »

Great job Kyle. It is hard to concentrate on your game and take photos at the same time. Your score usually suffers so thanks for the sacrifice.

Anthony

Jim Tang

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 02:27:56 PM »
Kyle -

I just took a look at all three of your threads on Pac, Bandon and Trails.  Very well done.  Part of the genius of the resort is that all three golf courses offer a completely different golfing experience.  I think your photos capture that exactly.  The look, feel and style of play on each course is so very different.

Was the resort very crowded while you where there?  I've been to Bandon twice, but both times were in August.  I wonder about the crowd and weather in Nov/Dec.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
Kyle -

I just took a look at all three of your threads on Pac, Bandon and Trails.  Very well done.  Part of the genius of the resort is that all three golf courses offer a completely different golfing experience.  I think your photos capture that exactly.  The look, feel and style of play on each course is so very different.

Was the resort very crowded while you where there?  I've been to Bandon twice, but both times were in August.  I wonder about the crowd and weather in Nov/Dec.

Thanks, Jim.

The place was pretty much booked. However, they close The Grove accomodations for winter, so even though they were at "capacity," the summer is still busier. The tee sheets for all courses were full until about 1:30 pm. That being said, my dad and I got a full 36 holes in, plus an hour lunch on both days that we tried. Pace of play was very good. 4.0-4.25 hours. Like clock work.

Other than a brief hail storm on our 1st hole of the trip and some overnight showers, we saw partially cloudy (mostly sunny) skies with calm to gentle winds. I heard a few caddies state that normally the weather would include cold rains and 20mph winds in late November. As I said before, I almost felt guilty paying winter rates. Yeah for frugality!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

Great job Kyle. It is hard to concentrate on your game and take photos at the same time. Your score usually suffers so thanks for the sacrifice.

Anthony

Actually, as my parents struggle mightily with the game, it was a good way stay in my own head.

Check my lie and yardage. Take a few photos until I see three balls ahead of me. Hit my shot.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 12:26:29 AM »
Add me to the fan club for your image of the approach on 16. Great stuff! That single bunker is so perfect with the cliff to the right and the ever present wind.

I do miss some of the scruffiness, like the little bumps on 5 and the ridge on 16...
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back