News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Images of Bandon Trails New
« on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

Sister courses can be viewed here:

Pacific Dunes
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37711.0.html

Bandon Dunes
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37759.0.html

My second day in paradise began perfectly. A tasty breakfast at the Bandon Trails Clubhouse. 1st group off of the tee. Chilly but clear and calm. I’ve included quite a few shots of the early holes when light was best. I hope you enjoy.

1st hole from the tippy tips. The panoramic view of dunes, ocean, the Bandon Dunes course, lodge, and forested hills frame the scene dipicted here. Nirvana.

1st fairway view.

1st hole  landing zone with requisite divots.

1st green from left.

These dunes are to the right as one walks from the back tees to the green site on the 2nd hole. Rumor has it that this sandy paradise might become the home of a par 3 course.

Another dunes teaser.

3rd hole bringing us inland.

4th tee. The second group of the day is seen playing # 3 on the left. My parental units are chasing their tee shots and chatting with one of the resort’s congenial forecaddies. Note the diagonal ridge in the fairway that dominates play on this hole.

4th approach shot was played from here after carrying the predominant ridge.

4th viewed in reverse.

5th tee, light just breaking on the green surface.

5th viewed in reverse. Such amazing green contours. I’m very glad I kept my approach just short and right of the pin.

6th green from front left angle.

This pond is adjacent to the 7th tee and the pricey Grove Cottage accommodations (seen in the trees at left) . Morning mist rises from the chilly waters. Note the small green and flagstick on the other side of the lake

7th viewed in reverse.

8th hole. I put my tee shot hole high from 320... but down the left slope. Tough par save.

10th.

12th tee. This par 3 played 263 (!) that morning. I love the finish work in and around that tee box!!!

14th hole. Amazing view. Pray that your drive hugs the left fairway.

15th hole. I heard very little in advance about this gem.

15th green sited seamlessly with its surrounds. Pure artistry.

16th stairway to Bogeyville. Plenty of grass hidden from view on the right hill side will feed your ball down into the fairway.

17th hole. And I thought the 17th at Sand Hills was a goodie.

I was worried that the other courses might be a bit of a letdown after playing Pacific Dunes the previous day. It’s good to be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:07:26 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Kirk

Re: Images of Bandon Trails
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
Thanks, Kyle.  Tip-top.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »

This view is one that really sticks out in my whirlwind weekend. How many designers would've been drawn to changing this landscape, taking the course back towards the sea?
What they did inland was spectacular.
It's been suggested that Bill Coore poured his heart and soul into this project. Undoubtedly the existing two courses forced him to do so. Bravo!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
Spectacular pictures. Thanks

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:04:08 PM »
Kyle:
Great pics, thanks.  Incredible set of par 3's, IMHO.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
I loved BT from the start (played it that first summer) and I was an unabashed admirer of the 14th, especially after the walk it takes to get there!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:22:11 PM »
Well done Kyle! What was it about BT that was to your liking? How did you like it in comparison to the others?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
Well done Kyle! What was it about BT that was to your liking? How did you like it in comparison to the others?

I covered that in Thursday's "Images of Pacific Dunes" thread.

Check it out. Reply #21.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37711.0.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:03:46 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
Thanks man. Sorry, I didn't look at the Pac Dunes thread aside from the great pics. :-[
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
Thanks man. Sorry, I didn't look at the Pac Dunes thread aside from the great pics. :-[

No worries. I'm still shocked that more than one person gives two sh!ts about my opinion on anything.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »

No worries. I'm still shocked that more than one person gives two sh!ts about my opinion on anything.

Now hold on. Let's not get carried away. ;) ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 11:57:32 PM »
I agree...one sh!t at best.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:30:41 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 03:35:50 AM »
I agree...one shit at best.

4 sh!ts at worst?

Paul Nash

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
apart from an invite to an exclusive world-ranked course like Augusta, PV, Cypress, NGLA or Shinny, I think this would be my favourite destination for a golf trip - the whole place looks stunning and, this course looks like it could even be the pick of the bunch. Going inland like this reminded me a bit of Prai Del Rey in Portugal.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 07:55:18 AM »
Paul, It's everything you can imagine. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:34:22 AM »
Man, do I love Bandon Trails.  Don't get me wrong, I really do love Pacific Dunes, but Bandon Trails for me is nirvana. 

Elegant, scruffy, natural, fun, and most importantly thoughtful. 

I always feel I have so many options on how to play the next shot which is the most fun aspect of golf.  Unfortunately I often will pick a harder, but more fun way to play a shot, especially if the ground is firm and fast, just to see if I can pull it off and watch the ball bounce and roll around.  Then again I am not a pencil and scorecard slave and rarely keep score, so courses that allow me try so many fun shots like Trails does is simply the best 4 hours in golf for my liking.  I have not played Hidden Creek, Sugarloaf Mt., or Old Sandwich but they all look very similar to Trails in the aspect of "thoughtful fun".  Sorry to ramble, but I just love the place!

The angles off the tee, #3, #4, #6, #11, #15.

The approaches #3, #10, #13

The risk-reward #8, #14

The greens #3, #5, #8, #13!, #16, #17

The seemingly undisturbed nature #4 green, #9 approach, #15 green, #17 the unbelievable setting

#15 looks like what I think Royal Melbourne would look like.  Such an underrated hole.

What architects have the confidence to NOT mess with the #9 green like they did.  Just mow it and play.  Awesome stuff.

How there are 100 better courses in the world (Golf Magazine) is beyond me. When you mix Ben Crenshaw, Bill Coore, Mike Keiser, fescue, firm and fast, and perfectly sandy soil and not end up with a top 20 course is a mystry to me.  Why Trails isn't ranked in the Top 40 in the world is simply a travesty.

Michael Blake

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 09:42:30 AM »
Great images Kyle.

I agree with you on #15...

The green setting is so naturally beautiful and peaceful.  It just felt like a green was 'supposed' to be in that exact spot.

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »
Piling on with a few of my own since I may never get to the Fan's Photo Tribute...

Approach at 1

Looking back on 1

A look at 2

Looking back on 4

One view of 5

Another view of 5

6 Tee

6 Approach from the right side

Approach on 9 with a glimpse of the tree behind bunker  :(

11 Tee

11 Approach

13 Approach

Closer view of 13

15 tee

15 Approach

18 Tee

One look at 18 approach

And another

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
Good work here, my overly buffed out amigo. Your first image brings forth many emotions, namely tears of joy concurrent with a jealous rage.

If technology brings us nothing else, hi-res images of a great course on a clear day might be enough.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »

I proclaim this Simper Lake ...

Ps;  without the aid of yardage markers or range finders, it is a 3-wood to the flag.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »
 ;D

Kyle has a big swing to match as I recall.

Kyle,

You sure you didn't photoshop that drive where your tee ball is soaring dead straight  :P

Awesome pics and can't wait to go...

... my overly buffed out amigo.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks Kyle.

Just an aside: BT's 14th hole reminds me a bit of the 18th hole at
Temple GC (on Sean Arble's thread).

Willie Park Jn, almost a hundred years earlier, on much different
land/site - but a similar (and simple) use of the natural cant/slope

Peter

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Tim Bert: Great photos! Thanks for filling in some of the gaps around the course, especially 2 and 11. I was fighting hazy skies and shooting right into the sun on those holes.

Patrick: As I recall, my big swing was producing big hooks when we played Pasa. Now I'm back to hitting it straight but straight up as well, compliments of a steep downswing. As Spaulding (the truly long hitter) has pointed out to me before, big shoulders restrict more than they accelerate the golf swing. It was nice to be playing as well as I ever do on this particular trip -- playing with my parents as opposed to relative strangers helps as well.

Get to Bandon ASAP. It's only an 8-hour drive.

Spaulding: Maybe you'll can free up some time and join me on my 3rd or 4th return trip. ;)

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
Kyle,

Thanks for the great pictorials, and excellent call on 15 ("gem") and 16 ("stairway to Bogeyville")  :)

Your pics and Tim's bring to mind the thought that, if forced to choose, holes 14-18 at Trails would stand out as the most interesting + challenging finish of the three Bandon courses.  Some might say too...uh...interesting.. with respect to 14, but not I.

But why choose when there's so much to enjoy at all three courses!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 06:50:14 PM »
Kyle,

Thanks for the great pictorials, and excellent call on 15 ("gem") and 16 ("stairway to Bogeyville")  :)

Your pics and Tim's bring to mind the thought that, if forced to choose, holes 14-18 at Trails would stand out as the most interesting + challenging finish of the three Bandon courses.  Some might say too...uh...interesting.. with respect to 14, but not I.

But why choose when there's so much to enjoy at all three courses!

The 15th and 17th at Trails are sublime. However, I think the 16th hole is best at Bandon Dunes and I prefer the 18th at Pacific Dunes. But, like you said, the choice is between great options and greater options.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back