News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Pacific Dunes: A Pictorial!!! New
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:11:48 AM »
Pacific Dunes has been discussed and depicted ad nauseam in this forum, but I thought others might like to see a sampling of the images I was able to capture between shots during my maiden Bandon voyage a few weeks ago. Enjoy.

Sister courses can be viewed here:

Bandon Trails
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37741.0.html

Bandon Dunes
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37759.0.html

1st tee view, light sneaking beneath the clouds before a menacing hail burst.

2nd tee view, light breaking through  as the hailing clouds pass.

3rd tee view. Gorse pile burning at Old MacDonald.

4th hole in reverse.

5th hole in reverse.

7th hole rear view featuring my progenitor.

10th hole. What a stunner…

11th hole bringing the visual symphony to crescendo.

12th hole in reverse. 4th hole on the right. My current desktop photo…

13th tee shot (you can see my ball in flight).

13th right of landing area. This dune is among the greatest hazards in golf, without a doubt.

13th in reverse.

14th hole

16th approach as sunlight wanes. New clubhouse on the horizon.

17th tee shot. More gorse smoke seen on the left.

17th green surrounded gorse and a breathtaking panoramic view.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:44:44 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Rob Rigg

Re: Images of Pacific Dunes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »
Great pics Kyle - there is a lot of desktop background potential there - Thanks for sharing.

We have had some pretty decent weather in Oregon the past month or so - a good time to have visited Bandon (bringing the chapeau is always a good idea in late Novy).

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:59 AM »
Great pics Kyle - there is a lot of desktop background potential there - Thanks for sharing.

We have had some pretty decent weather in Oregon the past month or so - a good time to have visited Bandon (bringing the chapeau is always a good idea in late Novy).

Yeah. Other than that 5-minute spat of hail and some nighttime showers, we enjoyed very nice weather conditions. Never more than 5mph winds. I felt guilty paying winter rates.

We also lucked into the yearly inventory clearance. $200 windshirt? Try $30...  Nice. 8)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Sheehan

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:54:11 AM »
Some really fine photos, Kyle.  I'm itching to go back...And don't feel too bad about those prices.

Ian_L

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:33:16 AM »
GREAT pics, Kyle.  Hopefully I'll have the same luck on my first trip in a week and a half.

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
Kyle,
Awesome Pics!!! Exactly what kind of camera do you have?

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:30:18 AM »
The pictures almost look fake! wow.
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »

Kyle...Thanks..............DREAM GOLF>>>>>>>>

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:39:42 AM »
Kyle,

Did you play all three courses?

If so, what were your thoughts and how would you break out 10 rounds across BD/PD/BT?

I always figured that on my first trip I would try to do 3 days with 36 in total on each, which will have to become 4 days x 36 when OM opens.

That would be really tough this time of year though unless you got some smashing weather and got off as the first or second group of the day. Looks like you may have been able to do that?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
Did you or your friend take your personal push cart?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
That view up on 17 is one of my favorites in the world.  

If you've never been to Bandon, you have no idea how noisy the ocean is.  But it's a beautiful noise that recharges the soul.  That spot up high on 17 tee is your farewell to the ocean as you turn home on 18.  It's a wonderfully melancholy time during any round at PD.

Wonderful pictures, Kyle - Great light that really brings out the genius of the place.

Thanks for sharing!

Eric Olsen

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »
Oh man are these awesome pictures!  We are headed out in March for what will be something like my 12th trip or so, and I can't hardly wait!  ;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
Kyle,
Awesome Pics!!! Exactly what kind of camera do you have?

It's a little Sony 7 megapixel handicam. It captures some nice ones when the light is right. It also helps when you take 300 pictures. At least a few will usually turn out that way.

I had less luck during a June afternoon at Sand Hills. :-\

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 10:29:30 AM »
The pictures almost look fake! wow.

I didn't even think about using photoshop this time, after a previous lashings over said transgression...  ::) :P

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
Kyle - great pics for sure -thanks for posting.

Do you have a closer-up view of the clubhouse?  Shot in the dark, I know... but I am one of these oddballs who LIKED how it was the old way.  I am reserving judgment on whether what they've done now is an improvement.

Would love to see it....

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »

Is there a new PD clubhouse?

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »

Is there a new PD clubhouse?

Anthony

Indeed, there is. I obviously have no idea what the old trailer was like, but I thought the new building was a good contrast to the other clubhouses. I'll try to dig up a photo.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »
Calling the old place a "trailer" is like calling one's Mom a "woman."  Tecnically correct, but doesn't really do justice.

I dug the ole porch, battered wind-screen and all.  Sitting out there with a burger and a beer, watching back down 18... that's all I needed in between or after rounds at PD.  If one wanted more one shuttled back to the larger BD facility.  I kinda liked it that way.  But I guess most guests would want more, thus what's there now.  I just hope it's not too gaudy.  From descriptions it doesn't sound like it will be; sounds like it will fit in fine.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »
Calling the old place a "trailer" is like calling one's Mom a "woman."  Tecnically correct, but doesn't really do justice.

well-said friend! :)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Matt OBrien

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
I heard that they also got rid of the Big Jim sandwich? If thats true then I will never go back  >:(

Carl Nichols

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »

I dug the ole porch, battered wind-screen and all.  Sitting out there with a burger and a beer, watching back down 18... that's all I needed in between or after rounds at PD.  If one wanted more one shuttled back to the larger BD facility.  I kinda liked it that way.  But I guess most guests would want more, thus what's there now.  I just hope it's not too gaudy.  From descriptions it doesn't sound like it will be; sounds like it will fit in fine.

TH

I liked the porch a lot too--cool vibe to sit there, having a beer, talking to other people coming off the course or congregating around--but would've preferred a slightly nicer and larger bldg to go with it.  I suspect the new one is a lot bigger than that.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
Kyle,

Did you play all three courses?

If so, what were your thoughts and how would you break out 10 rounds across BD/PD/BT?

I always figured that on my first trip I would try to do 3 days with 36 in total on each, which will have to become 4 days x 36 when OM opens.

That would be really tough this time of year though unless you got some smashing weather and got off as the first or second group of the day. Looks like you may have been able to do that?

Rob,

I played PD twice the 1st day.
BT and BD on Day 2.
The 3rd day just BD (my mom was tuckered out, the clearance sale was calling, and I had a twilight tour of Old MacDonald to squeeze in ;)).

Thoughts:
PD is superb. I especially enjoyed the recovery shots around the greens. It wasn't as much of a clear favorite as I was expecting. As a set, par 3s don't get better than these. PD is the only course on property with a strong finishing hole relative to the preceding tests. The course logo features seals circling one another – a better metaphor for my local muni than anything near Bandon.

BT was my favorite driving course. Most holes offer an interesting set of options off  the tee, thanks to the massive width and contours. The greens rolled a few feet faster than the other two courses. A nice contrast to its sisters and an aesthetically superior layout (not even Monterey's Del Monte Forest is quite this majestic). Also, like PD, a lot of fun options for greenside recoveries. They had a small shuttle between the 13th green and 14th tee, due to the long, steep walk. 16 is also built on thorny terrain. Still, I like the routing and I’m glad they stuck with it, despite the relatively difficult (for my maternal unit, at any rate) walk it produced. Watch out for deer poop.

BD had plenty of compelling holes. My only major gripe reflects the finish work, which is not as refined as at BT or PD (tough competition). Many areas between holes were bare dirt from recent gorse clearing or brownish, trimmed fescue from previous gorse clearing. Hence, the course had a bit of an manicured, country club look to it in spots, and an under-maintained municipal look in other places. The shaping around some greens (especially 3,4,6,9,12,18) seemed strangely artificial. Still, the 16th is perhaps the best hole on property, thanks in part to Kidd’s remarkably naturalistic diagonal ridge construction and placement. The 5th is a world-class original, even if the natural mounding in the fairways isn’t perfectly placed. 7, 8, 10 and 14 are compelling inland holes. If the 1st, 9th and 18th can be spruced up a bit, this course will be one of the elite.

All of the courses reward drive placement as much as power. Strategic golf at its best.

The lack of housing and carts, quick pace of play, excellent food and service, comfortable lodgings, and golf-centric atmosphere make for the most sublime experience in public golf.

10 round split:
Pacific Dunes: 4
Bandon Trails: 4
Bandon Dunes 2

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »

TH

The new clubhouse features an outdoor porch with fire place adjacent to the upstairs dining area. I think you'll be pleased. The ocean views are pretty sweet.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »

I liked the first clubhouse. Very relaxed.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:40 PM »
Kyle:

Cool assessment, works for me for the most part.  It is one hell of a place.

You've also done very well explaining the "finish work" comment that others have made about BD before you.  I just never really knew what they meant.  I get it as you explain it.

I never had that experience there myself, but it's been nearly two years now since I've been there.  Maybe that is how it is now.

Good stuff.

As for the new clubhouse, oh hell I have no doubt I will love it if and when I get back up there; I am not that particular.  My wonderment remains about the contrast as to what was there compared to what is.  That won't matter to many people at all... it's more a curiousity I have.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back