News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Do you consider yourself one of the finest minds in golf?
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »
I know I do, if you don't...why?

archie_struthers

Re: Do you consider yourself one of the finest minds in golf?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

relative to who and on what ?????

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
John

You are a goof, but an entertaining goof!

From the finest minds come original ideas.  Everything I know about golf is begged, borrowed or stolen.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
I would place myself at about the 1 millionth finest mind in golf. And yes, I'm proud of my place in the top 5% or so. And for everyone else on this board: you all rank ahead of me, so enjoy your elite status, you Ivory tree(house) huggers.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:17:51 PM »
??? ??? ???

relative to who and on what ?????

Relative to everyone who has ever played the game and on whatever you love about the game.  

JESII

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »
John,

I think you were flattered by JSPayne's acclaim of your other quote and ejaculated early with this thread...

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »
"Do you consider yourself one of the finest minds in golf?"

JohnK:

One of the finest minds in golf for what?  :P

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »
TEPaul,

You didn't answer the question.  I fully admit that without the Google I wouldn't be able to answer any questions concerning history or stats. 

Brian Cenci

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »

Who sits around thinking of topics like this?  Pretty funny though.  To answer your question I do not.  You used the term "golf" which could mean anything from architecture to maintenance to the swing.  As far as the average weekend golfer I'm sure I know a lot but compared to people on this site I'm probably below average in knowledge of golf history, architecture and such.  All I can say is I've played a lot of golf on a lot of different courses and that intitles me to my opinion relative to others on this site.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
I think my previous 1000+ posts pretty much answers this question.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:28 PM »

Only in regards to TEPaul and Pat Mucci ;) ;D :o
Dave

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
"TEPaul,
You didn't answer the question."

JohnK:

I guess that's because I've become influenced by one of my non-responsive "Discussion Adversaries" on this website (now apparently departed) who was generally inclined to answer my questions to him with a counter question of his own, nothing more and most certainly never an intelligent answer to my question. I think it's called deflection, dismissal, avoidance or some combination thereof.   It might also have something to do with gas and flatulence too but I'm not completely certain about that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:45:45 PM by TEPaul »

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
You all realize, of course, that JK is merely seeing who responds to this message.

"OK, he's full of himself...he thinks he's a great mind...TEPaul, check...JES, check...Kirk, definitely needy and self absorbed"

There are no great minds in golf.  It's just a game.  But if we calculate the dynamics of a ball that strikes the ground at 105 mph, at an angle theta of pi/3 radians, and we assume that the coefficient of restitution for a parkland course is 0.25, then we can begin to make some sense out of this design.

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

yes  absolutely but only relative to all semi-retired caddies from Pine Valley who were treated in their youth by Doc Dyson  !

sorry JES  although you could ask for disqualificaton as you may not have earned your full union card ....or received the lithium carbonate while forecaddieing on #2  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »

Epiphany!

If John's one of the greatest, is it any wonder we are in the mess we're in? You boys in the industry are really screwed.

Even the greatest mind will be wrong 13% of the time.

Put me down as one who knows I know nothing.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
"But if we calculate the dynamics of a ball that strikes the ground at 105 mph, at an angle theta of pi/3 radians, and we assume that the coefficient of restitution for a parkland course is 0.25, then we can begin to make some sense out of this design."

Mr. Kirk:

There's a certain overall elegance to that formula or yours but you fucked up somewhere in it (it may've been as simple as a minor spelling error) which turned the final result into evanescent flatulence. Go back to the blackboard and try again, if you please.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
This thread reminds me of how my father-in-law used to hire people to come work for him.

After doing the interview in which he would roundly tell them how unqualified they were, weren't a good fit for the company, lacked the skill set, yada, yada....his major basis on whether he would consider hiring them or not is if they would call back in a few days to follow up on the position. He said few ever called back, but most who did, got one job or another at the company!!

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess this thread isn't really about the question posed.   :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:02:13 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 06:59:14 PM »
Let's not get off topic here because we are scared of the facts.  If people like me and you are not the finest minds in the game then who is?  Please don't start naming off a bunch of wanna be dentists stuck on the island of misfit toys trying to get in copy under a deadline.

John Goodman

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
The phrase "one of the finest minds in golf" is synonymous with the phrase "one of the finest minds in marketing" or "one of the finest minds in politics."  A phrase that would only be used to sell people something.  JK - are you one of the finest minds in road construction? 

TX Golf

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »
John,

That reminds me... I guess I am gonna have to break out the box of VHS tapes and the VCR now that the holidays are approaching. I don't know if that one can be found on DVD.

John Kirk

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »

I'm sorry; I just don't find this question lends itself to a serious response.  But the serious answer is no, I do not consider myself one of the finest minds in golf.  Like many here, I have a good deal of experience as a trained observer of golf.  I also pride myself on understanding bias in course evaluation.

I'll say this.  We work hard at this.  But you're not great in this field until a consensus of your peers says you're great.

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »
"But if we calculate the dynamics of a ball that strikes the ground at 105 mph, at an angle theta of pi/3 radians, and we assume that the coefficient of restitution for a parkland course is 0.25, then we can begin to make some sense out of this design."

Mr. Kirk:

There's a certain overall elegance to that formula or yours but you fucked up somewhere in it (it may've been as simple as a minor spelling error) which turned the final result into evanescent flatulence. Go back to the blackboard and try again, if you please.

No spelling errors there that I can see, Dr. Paul.  No real content, either.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 07:15:03 PM »
John Kirk:

But the pink pants and sneakers sure are chic though!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »
Let's not get off topic here because we are scared of the facts.  If people like me and you are not the finest minds in the game then who is?  Please don't start naming off a bunch of wanna be dentists stuck on the island of misfit toys trying to get in copy under a deadline.

I'd gladly take a Bob-in-a-box.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
John Kirk,

Who are my peers?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back