News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

If you guessed Crystal Downs give yourself a gold star! 

Every year Crystal Downs does what I absolutely think is the coolest gesture of any top private end course anywhere.  They open their gates one day a year to all residents of Benzie County for $10.  Tee times are booked in advance a week ahead by calling the shop and apparently within 30 minutes the entire day is filled.  They call it "Benzie Days" and all golfers must show a valid form of ID that indicates they live in the county. 

I grew up in Lake Ann, which is on the east end of Benzie county, and this program was not in place when I still lived there but my dad will be taking advantage of it today.  Who ever said that the problem with the top end private clubs being too restrictive for most people ever to play obviously never heard of this event.

-Brian

Cliff Hamm

Back in the '60's Baltusrol had a day called Mayor's Day.  As I recall it was a weekday in August whereby all residents of Springfield could play although I don't recall the cost.  Don't know if it continues.

Tom_Doak

Brian:

They have caught a good day for it, too -- sunny and mid-60's.

I know of several high-end new courses which had to make some sort of similar promise in the permitting process.  Usually the promise is to host 1-3 charity outings per year with the charities approved by the town.  Crystal Downs is unique as far as the $ amount is concerned.

TX Golf

That is awesome.... I might have to talk to a few of my college buddies a get myself a fake ID from Benzie County!!!!  ;D ;D :o

Brian Cenci

That is awesome.... I might have to talk to a few of my college buddies a get myself a fake ID from Benzie County!!!!  ;D ;D :o

I can just see it now, an ebay auction for a fake Benzie County ID to play Crystal Downs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back