News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Kittanning Country Club-1922- pics
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »
Last weekend I played Kittanning CC in western PA. The course was challenging with lots of narrow, tree lined fairways. The green complexes were excellent to say the least.  #8 is a short par 4 the first time around and then becomes a par 3 with an alternate green. Likewise, #6 is a par 4 for the front 9 and switches to a par 3 with the same green, but a different tee box. Kittanning is located an hour and a half north of Pittsburgh, kinda in the middle of nowhere.

Here is what their website has to say:

Kittanning Country Club is a private facility with a long and proud history. The golf course is a 9-hole basic design with some alternate tees and greens included. The course plays to a par 71 (36/35) and measures nearly 6,100 yards. For men, the course rating is 70.8 and the slope rating is 133. For women, the course plays to a par 73 (37/36) and measures 5,545 yards. For women, the rating is 72.4 and the slope is 126. The golf course opened in 1922 and was designed by Emil Loeffler, a long time employee of Oakmont Country Club as both a pro and superintendent. Loeffler designed several quality courses that include Kittanning Country Club, Alcoma Country Club, Latrobe Country Club, Nemacolin Country Club, Uniontown Country Club and Williams Country Club, in Weirton, West Virginia.

Here are the pics:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:59:38 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Mike_Cirba

Re: Kittanning Country Club-1922- pics
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »
Very Cool...

Man, someone should write a book on great old nine-hole courses!   ;) ;D

Tony...is a Part Deux forthcoming someday?   It's a virtually limitless topic.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
There are quite a few 9 hole private courses in this area of Pennsylvania. Back in the early 1900's there were a lot of wealthy people due to the oil boom in the area.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
Is that last pic an alternate par 3/par 4 hole?

That would be unique, can't think of any hole like that, although I'm sure they exist somewhere...

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
Is that last pic an alternate par 3/par 4 hole?

That would be unique, can't think of any hole like that, although I'm sure they exist somewhere...

I'm trying to remember, but I think if you play 18,  it is a par 3 for one 9 and a par 4 for the other 9.

Kittanning is a fun little course.  Not overly long.  They have plans and the land to build another 9 holes, but I don't think they have the finances to do so at this point.  The land to the right of the next to last picture would be where it would go.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
Yes, hole #8 for the front 9 is a short par 4, on the back nine it is a par 3, two greens, two separate holes, multiple tee boxes.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:42:20 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Last 7:

Richard Boult

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back