News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

The Capstone Club by Gil Hanse is for sale
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
I just received an email from Hilda Allen, the golf course broker.  If you're in the market for a Gil Hanse original design, here's your chance @ The Capstone Club in Brookwood, Alabama.

Hilda W. Allen Real Estate, Inc.
Is Pleased to Present
The Capstone Club
Brookwood (Tuscaloosa County), Alabama

For-Sale
At
Hybrid Sealed Bid Offering

The Capstone Club consists of:
18-Hole Championship Golf Course
12,000+/- square foot Clubhouse
25+/- acre Practice Range
Maintenance facility
On course Restrooms
Cart Barn
225.77+/- Acres
6.6+/- Acre parcel at Entrance
Semi-Private
Gil Hanse, Golf Course Architect
7,032 Yards
Par 71
Opened in 2002
Bid Opening:
Wednesday, October 29 @ 11:00 AM Central Time

Property Preview
October 8, 2008 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM

hilda-allen.com

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:56:28 PM by Eric Smith »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Capstone Club by Gil Hanse is for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
Looks good. How's the economic climate in the area?

www.capstoneclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
It looks like a bargain to play but will be very difficult to support as an investment .

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
It looks like a bargain to play but will be very difficult to support as an investment .

Perhaps not at the right price!

RJ_Daley

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
Capstone is an excellent course.  It's in an out of the way location, about 12 miles from the Interstate and I'm guessing 25 miles from Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  The course is on some nice, rolling terrain with sandy soil.  The greens are what you would expect from Gil.  Nice mix of holes and long enough to hold the better player's interest.  Overall, an excellent track with a nice clubhouse and cart bart that's a bit out of the way.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:29:52 PM »
Capstone Club is very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit. A number of good holes with enough quirk to be interesting, but not silly and enough tough holes to be challenging without being a total killer.

If you're in that part of the world, it's worth playing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:08:27 PM »
Wasn't that course tied in with the University of Alabama somehow?  Who actually owned it?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
A little googling:

The Capstone Club, in Brookwood, is a joint venture between Arnold Palmer Golf Management and the University Clubs of America. With clubs at the universities of Kentucky, Louisville, Alabama and South Carolina, the University Clubs is a growing portfolio.

Arnold Palmer Golf Management was founded by Arnold Palmer in 1984 and acquires, leases, and manages quality golf facilities worldwide, working with private individuals, corporations, municipalities and developers. Headquartered in Orlando, Fla., Palmer Golf is backed by Olympus Real Estate Partners. Founded in 1994, Olympus Real Estate Partners has invested more than $5 billion in real estate assets, including real estate equities, mortgages and securities in major markets throughout the U.S. Olympus, with offices in Dallas and New York, has more than 3,500 employees.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Dan Herrmann

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 09:46:43 AM »
Bad location has been a problem from day one

Keith Williams

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
Played there a little over a month ago on a golf weekend in Birmingham and I can agree that the location definitely hurts the place.  The design is very good (especially for us GCA folk), but the conditioning was a mixed bag.

We played on a friday and other than our two groups there was only one other foursome out on the course.  The residential component of the property that you drive through to get to the course is all but empty... a couple of houses and a few oil pumps.

Fairways and greens were maintained pretty well, but many of the bunkers showed serious signs of neglect, some were downright unplayable, while others had been abandoned and grassed over.  I thought there were some really great and unique holes - 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 16 and 17 come to mind.  The rest of my group was less enthusiastic - they couldn't get over the number of blind shots and the conditioning- in fact they all favored the (lame) RTJ Trail courses over Capstone.  I hope (wish) that my group's viewpoint is the minority and that the design isn't a contributing factor to the golf course's struggles.

Keith.

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
I hope that Dan Wexler won't need to write a chapter someday on the NLE Capstone. It got rave reviews when it opened. Entirely justified I thought.

I had hoped it would lead to more work for Gil in the SE. Here's hoping for the right kind of buyer.

Bob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 09:21:57 PM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
....didn't know this was part of the University Club deal .

I'm guessing this is the third to go down....I guess even alumni money responds to lack of location and price for the dollar after the hype dies down.

....and I was close to being part of the deal....whoa.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »
I had hoped it would lead to more work for Gil in the SE.

Bob

Gil is co-designing (w/DLIII's group) a course right in your state.  Supposedly broke ground early this year on Victory Lane in Cobbtown, GA (west of Savannah) on a sandy, rolling site that will be also home to a private, Indy/Formula 1-type-car road race course.

Paul Cowley, any update/info you can provide on it?

BCrosby

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
Scott -

That's great news. I had not heard. I'd love to hear Paul's update.

Bob

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back