News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Omaha CC Keith Foster's Maxwellian redo
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
One of the more obscure courses (unless your a billionaire in Omaha) for sure, this little gem is a delight. The work done here has yielded a fun place to golf. Trees do not interfere with most lines of play, and, are sparse enough that the wall to wall turf is as good as one could ask for.

With varied terrain and movement, the golfer is treated to great greens from the mind of Perry Maxwell, which if missed can exact a price. Mostly Saucer like bunkers with consistent sand are reminiscent of Lawrence's Desert Forest placing the emphasis on the task at hand and the movement beyond.

If one needed to nit a pick it would be the length and nature of the last one shotter. Eerily reminiscent of the first drop shot par 3, only 20 yards shorter.

A Doak, I have no idea. But, if in Omaha and would like to, or need to, run into the Wizard, this would be the place to have your best shot. Fun golf nice people. What more does one want?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:58:40 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

Re: Omaha CC Keith Foster's Maxwellian redo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
Any photos Adam?  I lived a half mile from OCC and never had the chance to play, they were rebuilding when I moved.  Course conditions always appeared to be top notch from my morning runs.

The member confidence was high on Foster's ability because of his reputation for his course in Ames, The Harvester.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:31:20 PM by Jason Hines »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
Jason, The course was in top notch shape. Sorry no pics. Even firm on the high spots.
 I played the Harvester two days later. There were no similarities. I felt the H was very good until the back nine. Then the archie started to bench too many greens and obscure ground beyond the greens unnecessarily.
I played Champions Run between and thought it the rudest design to the golfer I have personally ever seen. The hideous mounding was an afront to the senses. One had to climb a hill to every teeing ground and the Himalayas to get back to the cart path from every green.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »
Adam,

Curious about your take on Champions Run.  I played with a member from there last year during our tournament and he spoke very highly of his club, although if he thought different, he would likely not be part of it.

Sorry you were unable to defend your title from last year - maybe next year it will be in the cards!

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »
Adam,

Kudos to Foster, I think the OCC had too much tradition and a completely different piece of property to try and mesh the two styles together. 

So did he preserve or restore Maxwell's original influences in your opinion?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:01:43 AM by Jason Hines »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »
I had talked briefly with Keith about this job and it sounded impressive from what he told me.  I find it interesting that the club wanted to renovate the entire course to try and reflect the style of Maxwell, instead of restoring to the original look by Stiles and Van Kleek.  Maxwell renovated the original course on about half the holes.  I wonder why they ended up choosing to go with that style instead of the original.     

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
Chris,

I just think they liked the Maxwell holes better.  The green contours, making up for the shortness of the course, may have had something to do with it, as well.  And, the history of being Maxwell's last course remodel is probably more stirring than being a Styles and Van Kleek, esp. since they are convinced its a Langford course.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
Of course I have never been to OCC, but it is interesting that they self ID'd it to C&W as a Langford and Morreau, done in 1927 with a Maxwell remodel.  I would think that Whitten being something of a native of NE would be keen on proper attribution to a home area course.  And, it fits with timeline of work in the area, where L&M did Happy Hollow in 1926.  Of course HHCC had a list of remodellers over the years...  I did walk HH and didn't see too much that recalled L&M.  A few gull wing bunkers that had been left to grass over, and trees planted to obscure them.  Not much dramatic green contouring left, if there ever was any. 

One thing about OCC that strikes me in looking at an aerial, it really has an excellent balance of hole directions on the compass...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »
For some reason I was thinking it was S&VK that did it.  Don't know why.  Thanks for the correction Jeff.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Chris,

The jury is still out on whether its SVK or LM.  SVK had an add proclaiming it as theirs, but some list had it as LM, I think.  CW found the SVK ad.  Ron Whitten looked at it long enough to think it looked more like SVK than LM.  Club still believes its LM, but favorite holes were the Maxwell ones.

The club did have different gca's over the years. Dave Bennet did a master plan, and some local Omaha Pro actually built some greens in the 70's.  The first par 3 was originally a reverse slope punch bowl but that local pro made it "more standardized" as would be popular in the 70's.  I actually routed a new nine for them years ago, but it was obviously never built.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Word was OCC was in line to host the 2013 Senior Open. Don't know if a final decision has been made on this or not? Also, the Tillinghast Society has him there in 1933 (about the same time as he was doing Swope and other in KC and St. Joseph, MO). Can anyone verify this?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
What did Tillie do in St. Joe?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:29:38 AM »
According to the Tillinghast Society, he did St. Joe Country Club.

Also, official news from the USGA today that OCC will host the 2013 Senior Open. This will be the third USGA national event host in the state of Nebraska. Johnny Goodman brought the 1941 US Amateur to Omaha Field Club and young Kelli Kuehne won the Women's Amateur at Firethorn.

Exciting news for Huskers! http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10427703

Alan Gard

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
Nebraskans generally support events well, so I'm sure attendance will be strong.  Plus, it won't be football season yet so folks won't be distracted.

As one not familiar with OCC, will it accomodate a high volume of fans well?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
Any photos Adam?  I lived a half mile from OCC and never had the chance to play, they were rebuilding when I moved.  Course conditions always appeared to be top notch from my morning runs.

The member confidence was high on Foster's ability because of his reputation for his course in Ames, The Harvester.

great tour on their website

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back