News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re: Are there any truly great sharp dogleg holes?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:17 PM »
Bandon Trails #14 is not a dogleg. It is the short hole from the ridgetop to the "      "green. 

Petey, I suppose I should have put an emoticon w/ a wink on that one but I really do try to avoid those things.
You are a fine golfer and you probably play #14 straight up the gut. I, being full of swing foibles, generally play it as a dogleg.

BTW  "      " green. ?  I assume you mean "comforting" green.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »
6 at Lahinch is a pretty sharp dogleg, and it is definitely a great hole... not sure if its quite sharp enough though!

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
Its amazing how many of the holes mentioned are nowhere near 90 degrees turn - including #10 at St Enodoc.  Much of the time these holes are closer to 45 degrees.  Perhaps this about the area we all consider to be a sharp legger, because 90 degrees is really very, very sharp.  

Ed

Bunkers and/or rough can define a dogleg - they most often do on links - though even 45 degree leggers are rare.  I would think most of the time something is in the way that must be hit around such as the 1st on North Wales (houses), but I bet that is only about 60 degrees.

The one hole I am thinking of now is Pennard's 17th.  The map shows it incredibly straight, but I am sure this is inaccurate as with the 10th.  In any case, that turn is so sharp that to try and cut the leg on the second becomes very difficult because of the angle making the fairway so narrow.  Effectively, one has to really go for the green on the second or hit out to the turn of the leg with a layup.  So many times times I have seen what seem like good shots cutting the leg, but not going for the green lost.  I don't know if I can call this a good hole, but it has always frustrated me so it must have some merit. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:05:40 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

mike_beene

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »
No par 3s mentioned.The old 5th at Pebble had more dogleg than some of the holes already mentioned.

David_Madison

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »
Ridgewood's #8 West is a wonderful uphill sharp dogleg par-5. Lots going on with the hole, including some key trees which really force you into making sharp decisions about how you are going to play the hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back