News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Bedford Springs GC
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
I was pleased to see a story in the Phila Inquirer today about the complete
renovation of the historic Bedford Springs (PA) Hotel ($125 mil). I played the course about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. It has some pretty varied topography, and quite a few conversation-provoking holes.
(I'm trying to remember the courses pedigree--was it confirmed as being a Ross?)

I know that some of you have followed the ongoing renovations with interest. Has anyone played it recently? What were some of the more significant changes? I'm contemplating a 3 1/2 hour trek back there to tee it up again.

michael j fay

Re: Bedford Springs GC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:46:23 PM »
Bedford Springs was built as an 18 hole golf course in 1895 by Spencer Oldham. It  was reduced to nine and redesigned by A.W. Tillinghast is 1912. In 1924 Donald redesigned the course and made it into an 18 hole course.

The course was restored/renovated recently by Forse design. The stream that runs through the property was rerouted to its original route of 300 years ago.

Ron Forse and Jim Nagle rebuilt the course with elements from Oldham, Tillinghast and Ross. It is extremely well done. It reopened in mid 2007 to very good review. I played there opening day with Jim Nagle. The work is marvelous. The three styles have been woven together to create a very cohesive sensible and challenging venue. It is playable by all levels of golfers with five sets of tees. The corridors are wide, the angles are interesting, there are many risk/reward shots presented and the greens are quite well done.

It is definetely worth the ride.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »
Craig,

A number of us were talking about having an outing at Bedford Springs in the spring.   

If memory serves, I think George Pazin was working on it, and we were all hoping Jim Nagle could attend (as well as Ron Forse).

I think that was the plan as of November, or so.   From what I've heard from Tom Paul and Wayne about the place, it would be a great place to see some cool old architecture and get together with some of the other numbskulls from this asylum.  ;)

Anyone have an update??  George?  Jim??

Mike

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:18 PM »
michael J:

You give a really fine and comprehensive course revue of that place in very few words. Well done!

It reminded me of something we talked about with Forse Design just when they were getting started at Bedford Springs and that was---EVEN IF some of those really old features such as mounds and such from the original 1895 course didn't exactly come into play or into the strategy of the holes just leave them there anyway just as they've always been to serve as something of a "walking tour" of basically the entire evolution of American architecture!

I think I owe you something, michael. Sorry about that---I just flat-ass forgot which isn't unusual these days.  ;)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:47:09 PM »
MIke,

You wrote, "A number of us were talking about having an outing at Bedford Springs in the spring..."

Although it isn't this spring, the following was sent out to all Tillinghast Association members in February. Anyone who'd like to join us for a wonderful weekend of golf, fellowship and possibly a drink or two  ;D might consider joining either Association (or both):   

Dear Tillinghast Association Member:

We are pleased to announce a joint meeting of the Tillinghast Association and the Donald Ross Society to be held on Saturday September 20, 2008 at the Bedford Springs Resort in Bedford, Pennsylvania.

We are working on an exciting agenda which will include golf and dinner on Saturday.  More information on accommodations will be forthcoming.  In the meantime, we are working on an early headcount, so if you are interested in coming please e-mail Bob Trebus at Trebus@optonline.net

The Bedford Springs Resort is proud to be home of one of the country's first golf courses.  Overlooking breathtaking views of the Allegheny Mountains and Cumberland Valley, this remarkable course spans the work of three golf architectural masters-Spencer Oldham, A.W. Tillinghast, and Donald Ross. Bedford Springs Old Course has undergone a total renovation overseen by noted classic golf course restoration architect Ron Forse, restoring it to its original course layout.

More info on the resort can be found at their web site at http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com/golf/golf.asp

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
I was just looking at their website and they have a really interesting deal going on at the moment.

If you spend $199.00 in the Pro shop before March 31st you will receive two free rounds of golf and you must use the rounds by April 15th. I don't know if the two rounds must be used by the person spending the $199.00, or you can use one and bring a guest. A call to the Pro shop would answer that question. 

Either way, it sounds like a good deal. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »
Craig,

A number of us were talking about having an outing at Bedford Springs in the spring.   

If memory serves, I think George Pazin was working on it, and we were all hoping Jim Nagle could attend (as well as Ron Forse).

I think that was the plan as of November, or so.   From what I've heard from Tom Paul and Wayne about the place, it would be a great place to see some cool old architecture and get together with some of the other numbskulls from this asylum.  ;)

Anyone have an update??  George?  Jim??

Mike

I think someone closer to them (not physically, just better friends) was supposed to contact RF/JN to find a good date for them; I think most felt May was preferrable, but a few expressed a preference for June. I can try calling them myself if need be.

I have been hearing ads on the radio for the resort - they mention some sort of golf package for 2 w/ overnight stay for around $250 or something like that. Don't hold me to that, my short term memory is long gone due to long term sleep deprivation.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:26 AM »
Bedford Springs was built as an 18 hole golf course in 1895 by Spencer Oldham. It  was reduced to nine and redesigned by A.W. Tillinghast is 1912. In 1924 Donald redesigned the course and made it into an 18 hole course.

The course was restored/renovated recently by Forse design. The stream that runs through the property was rerouted to its original route of 300 years ago.

Ron Forse and Jim Nagle rebuilt the course with elements from Oldham, Tillinghast and Ross. It is extremely well done. It reopened in mid 2007 to very good review. I played there opening day with Jim Nagle. The work is marvelous. The three styles have been woven together to create a very cohesive sensible and challenging venue. It is playable by all levels of golfers with five sets of tees. The corridors are wide, the angles are interesting, there are many risk/reward shots presented and the greens are quite well done.

It is definetely worth the ride.

On a much happier note, virtually every word that Michael Fay wrote here is true, indisputable, and I would heartily SECOND his sentiments.   The architectural attributions are also well-documented.  ;D

Anyone with the slightest appreciation of golf course architecture would be well-served by a trip to Bedford Springs.  ;D

The only nit I'd pick, which is a tough one because so much of what is there is sooooo good, is that it might not be a good course for beginners or those who can't carry the ball an appreciable distance, as close to 12 holes require some type of forced carry, even though that aspect is minimized as much as possible from the front tees.

I'd also point out to some of the folks around Philly that I made it there in 2 hours and 40 minutes without too much speeding.

http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com/golf/golf.asp
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:31:14 AM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »
I'd also add that the recent Golfweek listing of Best Public Courses in each state has Bedford Springs listed as #4.

One could make a good argument that this is a bit low.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
We are pleased to announce a joint meeting of the Tillinghast Association and the Donald Ross Society to be held on Saturday September 20, 2008 at the Bedford Springs Resort in Bedford, Pennsylvania.

This sounds like a must to attend.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »

This is absolutely a Must-Attend.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
Mike, if I hadn't been printing Pens t's all weekend, I'd be offended you didn't call. :)

As things stand, maybe a GCA get together Friday, 9/19 would be good. People coming in for the Golfweek thing could just come in a day earlier, maybe a few GCAers could meet some new people.

Any thoughts anyone?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil Benedict

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »

Sounds like a Civil War reanactment.  By the way, is it okay to belong to more than one architectural society, or should one choose sides? 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »
As long as it's not the annual meetings of the Hugh Wilson Society and the CB Macdonald Association, I'll be there.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
Mike, if I hadn't been printing Pens t's all weekend, I'd be offended you didn't call. :)

George,

You name the course, I'll meet you there.

Deal?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back