News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Yellowstone Club
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
Real Hillbillies just love a good tussle between rich folk:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aqYoXSWaLx_M&refer=home

How good's the golf course?  I dig the hole renderings.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt_Ward

Re: Yellowstone Club
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Michael:

Yellowstone is a very playable Weiskopf course meant for seasonal member play. I would not elevate it to the level of a Lahontan or Silverleaf but it works well for the location.

One of the more noted holes is the par-4 9th and par-4 10th. The 9th is a short uphill par-4 with two greens -- the one on the left is the easier target but when you play the one on the right you must cross over a creek to a putting surface nicely angled to handle only the most skillful of approaches.

The 10th is also slightly uphill -- you can't see the botton of the drive zone. The hole dog-legs right and there is a landing shelf for tee shots that are hit with optimum distance and accuracy. The green is elevated slightly and if pin placements are pushed to the far corners the approach can be a bit testing.

All in all, Yellowstone accomplished what it was meant to do. Be entertaining to its membership with some interesting holes sprinkled into the mix. Weiskopf has done better but the course at Yellowstone would hold the interest of most golfers.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
If I owed anyone $20 Mil on my own golf course, it would be named yellowstone for what leaked out to the floor when I peed my pants....... :-\

Or "Brownstone" ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
There have been a couple good write up's in some of the business mags & WSJ lately on this. It's truly sad how much greed it portrays.

His wife got Porcupine Creek in Palm Springs during the divorce proceedings.

Whats the chances that

A - It stay a private playground / club?
B - Gets plowed under for real estate?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Matt,

What's your general take on Weiskoph's work, with or without Moorish? 

I've only played The Rim, which I thought was very good, though perhaps a little over-rated on Golfweek's modern list.

Mike

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
$1 million in stocks, bonds and cash?  Oh yeah, I'm sure he can get $250 million for that mansion in Rancho Mirage.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
Michael H:

Like I said previously, Yellowstone is a member's oriented course. It's got plenty of width, the greens are defended well but not overly so. The views of the surrounding mountains are indeed spectacular. When you stand on the tee at #1 you are looking down to the fairway below and it seems like your tee shot hangs in the air forever.

I like what Weiskopf has done with a number of his courses after splitting up with Moorish. While Yellowstone is fun -- I'd recommend Lahotan and Silverleaf as two more rounded and more detailed architectural efforts.

I liked what W & M did with The Rim -- but I see more of their work relying more on off-site views than with detailed holes that work well with one another. Don't know if you played Chapparal Pines right across the street but I see that layout as the best of the two in Payson. Agree with you on The Rim being a bit overrated and in too lofty of company.

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
$1 million in stocks, bonds and cash?  Oh yeah, I'm sure he can get $250 million for that mansion in Rancho Mirage.

Yes, despite claiming to be worth $1B on paper, he appears to have some significnat liquidity issues.

I assume the $250M includes the entire Porcupine Creek Club (which, I believe, he designed).

Lifestyles of the (self-proclaimed) rich and famous (for all the wrong reasons).

mjw

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Matt,

I found Chapparel Pines to be a little claustrophobic in places with one or two really awkward doglegs.  Off the top of my head I liked the big hilltop to hilltop par three but will need to check my yardage book to refresh the memory.  As I recall Panks is the architect.

Mike

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »
Real Hillbillies just love a good tussle between rich folk:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aqYoXSWaLx_M&refer=home

How good's the golf course?  I dig the hole renderings.

Mike

What kind of hillbilly looks at Bloomberg.com?

BVince

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »
Maybe the Beverly Hillbillies?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »
as the saying goes....you may not be able to buy happiness, but you can choose your own misery!

this guy has too many irons in the fire....I'll offer $50K for a lot!

Reef Wilson

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 07:57:14 PM »
I hear you have to take bear repellent out with you on the course.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »
Michael H:

Like I said previously, Yellowstone is a member's oriented course. It's got plenty of width, the greens are defended well but not overly so. The views of the surrounding mountains are indeed spectacular. When you stand on the tee at #1 you are looking down to the fairway below and it seems like your tee shot hangs in the air forever.

I like what Weiskopf has done with a number of his courses after splitting up with Moorish. While Yellowstone is fun -- I'd recommend Lahotan and Silverleaf as two more rounded and more detailed architectural efforts.

I liked what W & M did with The Rim -- but I see more of their work relying more on off-site views than with detailed holes that work well with one another. Don't know if you played Chapparal Pines right across the street but I see that layout as the best of the two in Payson. Agree with you on The Rim being a bit overrated and in too lofty of company.

I liked the Rim way better than Chapparral Pines, but it has been years
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 09:41:49 PM »
I thought about driving up to Yellowstone from Jackson, WY when I go in a few months but decided it was farther than I cared to go when Snake River and 3 Creek Ranch are right there and probably comparable courses by reputation.

I played both The Rim and Chaparral Pines last year and while I liked both of them I would prefer The Rim by a slight margin. I think the holes themselves compare pretty well except for #11 which was a little odd to me. Its one of my favorite Weiskopf/Morrish courses although I think Forest Highlands Canyon is better by a fair margin. I like both actually better than Double Eagle even though it is higher rated generally on the lists. I think The Rim belongs on the top 100 modern list, although I would put it in the 2nd 50.

Weiskopf has also done pretty well with Seven Canyons and the Meadow Course at Forest Highlands and Morrish with Stone Canyon. From what I've seen though their better efforts were together in FHGC Canyon and The Rim than their solo stuff. Maybe Snake River or Pine Canyon (Morrish in Flagstaff AZ) will change that.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 10:17:06 PM »
I think the Rim blows away Chaparral Pines in my mind too

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »

Why is there a lake on the side of a hill?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 11:15:50 PM »
The Yellowstone super did a presentation at a spring meeting last year on snow removal....they use snow blowers, skid steers, and snow shovels to remove the snow from the greens...starting about now....from the photo's it looks like they have 4-6 feet of snow on some greens....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back