News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Is Melbourne the best golf city in the world?
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »
Just read on another blog that it might be.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Is Melbourne the best golf city in the world?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:54:07 PM »
I hope so! I'm visiting there in March!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ash Towe

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
This topic has been discussed in one form or another quite a few times.  If it is not the best it is right up there.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
My advice would be to not bring your mistress there as their tabloids are obviously more scutinizing than ours!

I would venture to say that London is the only city that could compete with them for both quality and quantity.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:12:45 PM »
Melbourne is the best, if weather is any bit of a factor.  If not, London and New York will give it a run, as long as you are willing to venture further into the burbs.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »
It is the best I have never been too. Of course I hope to do so soon.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
The Sandbelt is unique but the courses are of a similar, but great genre, anyone played The Dunes which looks a pretty good faux links course? Ive yet to play the National courses which all look superb.

I'm also paying a March visit which includes the RM composite course, KH and Metro.
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »
Yes - taking into account weather and driving distance

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
For the ability to play year round golf, proximity of quality courses, accessibility, cost and closeness to the CBD itself - it should be there or there abouts.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
Only if you have access to private clubs.

Otherwise, not so good.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Chris Kane

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »
Only if you have access to private clubs.

Otherwise, not so good.
Correct. For an interstate or overseas visitor its terrific. If you live in Melbourne and aren't a member of one of the sandbelt clubs and don't know any members at the courses you'd like to play, you're left to play goat tracks.

The GCA contingent in London appear to fairly regularly play the best London courses (at admittedly high prices) without any connection to the clubs - that just isn't possible in Melbourne.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
I disagree with that Chris. With a little application, effort, and expense, I managed to play most sandbelt courses many times while I was a member at Northern of all places. The annual charity days each Sandbelt club seem to host are a good start, as are corporate days.

For those who doubt Melbourne's credentials as perhaps the best golfing city on earth, search for Lloyd Cole's account of his visit to Melbourne.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »
Hard to argue with Mr Doak...I have not yet made the trek to Melbourne, but at this point, London and New York would be my winners.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
If you are not looking at resorts, for the size of the place I would suggest that Southport is pretty good especially if you take into account the area inside say 30 minutes drive.

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »
Brian - RM are holding a five day event in March for their reciprocal clubs. There are four days of golf and on one of the days the composite course is being used. I've also arranged a game at Kingston Heath and as a team will no doubt arrange a formal visit to Metro.

Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31:38 AM »
Brian - RM are holding a five day event in March for their reciprocal clubs. There are four days of golf and on one of the days the composite course is being used. I've also arranged a game at Kingston Heath and as a team will no doubt arrange a formal visit to Metro.

How does one qualify to represent Royal Cinque Ports in such an event? Some Royal clubs held a competition... others a lottery. What was RCPGC's process for selecting a team to represent the club?  ;)

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan King

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
There are some mighty fine courses in the southwestern corner of San Francisco. You have three courses at Olympic, San Francisco GC, Harding Park and Lake Merced all within walking distance of each other. It's a bit more of a hike, but California Club is in the same area.

Cheers,
Dan King
One day if I do go to heaven -- I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'
 --Herb Caen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back