News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: 2016 US Open to Oakmont
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
Terry:

But Erin Hills will get the first real close-up evaluation by the USGA over Cog Hill when it hosts the US Amateur coming up. If EHills "passes" that test (similar perhaps to how Merion got back into the mix by hosting the US AM), I think they'll get the US Open before Cog Hill. Comments about a course's worthiness from strictly an architectural standpoint are a lesser concern these days, it seems, than in the past. Essentially the USGA seems to doing an "over-the-bar" evaluation of Open courses, and if they can pass that test (is it stern enough? can it test the best players without being ridiculously hard?), other considerations take over (logistics, regional distribution, willingness to host).

Don't you think hosting the BMW Championship in the fall is a better "test" than an Amateur could be?

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
Terry:

But Erin Hills will get the first real close-up evaluation by the USGA over Cog Hill when it hosts the US Amateur coming up. If EHills "passes" that test (similar perhaps to how Merion got back into the mix by hosting the US AM), I think they'll get the US Open before Cog Hill. Comments about a course's worthiness from strictly an architectural standpoint are a lesser concern these days, it seems, than in the past. Essentially the USGA seems to doing an "over-the-bar" evaluation of Open courses, and if they can pass that test (is it stern enough? can it test the best players without being ridiculously hard?), other considerations take over (logistics, regional distribution, willingness to host).

Jay:

WStraits is hosting two PGAs, one Ryder Cup, with the US Women's Open just down the road at Blackwolf Run, all within the next several years. I'm sure Herb Kohler would love a US Open, but the Wisconsin golfing well isn't that deep.

Phil-

I think it would be neat to host an Open at Blackwolf Run...they did recently lengthen the course significantly. I know I'm probably dreaming but I think it gets a second billing to the views at WS, when really it is very interesting.

I agree that Cog Hill is now Open worthy, could and probably should host an Open...eventually. It seems as though all signs are pointing to an Open at Erin Hills for whatever reason, despite hearing little good things about the course from people I know that have been there.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 04:56:40 PM »
Pat:

I'm curious about the attendance differential between the women's US Open and the men's. My recollection is that the River would have some difficulty handling the crowds associated with the men's tourney, in terms of getting people around the course. Plus WStraits is set up to handle a really big tourney, with the way Kohler put all of the tent areas up top, away from the lake, with the course fronting the lake.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
George,

Do you believe Oakmont to be a difficult course?  I sure as hell would.  Take Oakmont, add the fact the tournament being played is a major, an event most players agree will define their career, and let them play.  Why add ridiculous fairway width?  Why grow rough 6" deep?  Is the course and the circumstances not tough enough?  No one single tournament will identify the best player in the world, just the best player that week.

No PGA Tour event can measure up to a major if for no other reason the increased pressure.  Organizations like the R&A, USGA and PGA of America spend a lot of time choosing facilities to host these major championships, whatever reasoning they use.  Prepare the course and let them play.  A goofy setup produced Paul Lawrie beating Jean Van de Velde and Justin Leonard.  Torrey Pines produced one of the best U.S. Opens in history.  Let the players be the story, not course set up.

Ken

Just so we're clear, how would you characterize the '07 setup? Too difficult? Too narrow and too deep rough? You may find this hard to believe, but I (and I believe many others) think the '07 setup was eminently fair; it could have been much more difficult, simply by drying it out a little more.

I agree Carnoustie was goofy. I think TP's story is 10000% the story of the best golfer winning on one leg, the course was almost immaterial, other than if it were anywhere else, Tiger might not have played. I think 2007 Oakmont was fantastic, but then again, I think Shinny 04 and Sandwich 03 were great, too. Call me crazy, I think the toughest setups - not crazy ones like Carnoustie 99, but really challenging setups - are the best way to sift out the pretenders.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ken Fry

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »
George,

Was the '07 set up fair?  For the most part, yes.  It was our first look at what Mike Davis envisions for his championship set ups.  It had great variety.  Where did it go over the line a little?  Some areas of rough got out of hand.  I make this comment independent of Mickelson's wrist issue and complaints about the rough.  As was mentioned earlier, Oakmont is tough enough.

Ken

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »
Okay, that works for me. Personally, I would love to see how Oakmont would play with less rough (in a dream world, no rough). I think the green complexes are sufficiently fantastic :) to give anyone a real challenge, but thick rough seems to be a pretty standard MO for the US Open, regardless of venue.

For all the crap that everyone loves to give the USGA, I think the US Open has been as good as any tournament over the last decade. There have been a couple hiccups (the 18th at Olympic in 98, the 7th at Shinny), but I believe that may happen if you push things to the edge, which is admittedly my preference... :) I think it's a little hypocritical for many to preach firm and fast, and then complain when things get a little too firm and fast. I'd rather see the occasional hiccup than the monotonous setups we see week in and week out on the PGA Tour.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PCCraig

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »
Pat:

I'm curious about the attendance differential between the women's US Open and the men's. My recollection is that the River would have some difficulty handling the crowds associated with the men's tourney, in terms of getting people around the course. Plus WStraits is set up to handle a really big tourney, with the way Kohler put all of the tent areas up top, away from the lake, with the course fronting the lake.

Phil -

Like I said...I'm dreaming a bit  :) 

WS is by far the better "tournament" course of the two, but by using the US Women's open layout (Blackwolf Runs first 18), there are 18 very strong holes there. Perhaps its better suited for the US Women's Open "rota." (How come no one argues where they should hold the Women's events???)  ;D
H.P.S.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »
I thought the 2007 setup at Oakmont was eminently fair and a great venue for the Pros. As for the spectating aspect, it was more of a carnival atmosphere complete with hutksters at booths selling anything and everything associated with the word "golf."

You were herded to the outskirts of the action. Watching from fairways, due to the bunkering was difficult. 30 deep with people is not conducive to getting into the action of what's going on. I can still recall on a dreary Monday morning in 1983 watching Larry Nelson drop that incredible putt to beat Tom Watson in regulation. And I also recall Monty, Els, and Roberts battle up close and personal from playoff hole to playoff hole. 

No way could you get that close in 2007. And if you chose to sit in the stands, fry like bacon, and never hear a roar, well, in 2016 I suggest you go, watch what you can for a couple of holes, have a beer or two in an air conditioned tent, and call it day.

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »
No way could you get that close in 2007. And if you chose to sit in the stands, fry like bacon, and never hear a roar, well, in 2016 I suggest you go, watch what you can for a couple of holes, have a beer or two in an air conditioned tent, and call it day.

I'd suggest something a little different - go to practice days, catch Thurs Fri action, go super early on the weekends, and stay away from the leaders. Just observe the treasure that is Oakmont.

Then maybe head downtown and see if you can see one of the many Super Bowl or Cup trophies... :)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
I was chatting today to a pro who played in the US Open in 2007 and who is a fixture on the European Tour. He expressed how much he enjoyed Oakmont, despite the difficulties. Of all the courses in the world it's one that fascinates me more than pretty much any other.

The stories about the speed of the greens are legendary, and if things work out according to plan I hope to experience them in about 3 weeks.

Michael Blake

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
officially announced a couple days ago

Oakmont Country Club To Host 2016 U.S. Open
Far Hills, N.J. (June 17) - Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club has been selected by the United States Golf Association as the site of the 2016 U.S. Open Championship, marking a record ninth time the venerable layout will host the national championship. The dates of the championship are June 13-19.

Designed by Henry C. Fownes and opened in 1903, Oakmont Country Club has been the site of 14 previous USGA championships, the most recent in 2007 when Angel Cabrera held off Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk to win the U.S. Open. In 2010, the Pittsburgh-area club will be the site of the U.S. Women's Open, July 5-11.

"The USGA is extremely pleased to continue our long-standing relationship with Oakmont Country Club," said USGA President Jim Vernon. "As evident from the results of the 2007 championship, the course is a wonderful and complete test of golf. Equally important is the fact that since the early 1900s, Oakmont has been a proud supporter of the game. The USGA remains grateful that we have been invited back to conduct our 16th championship, which includes our recent visits in 2003 for the U.S. Amateur and in 2007 for the U.S. Open, as well as next year's U.S. Women's Open."

The nation's first golf course to be recognized as a National Historic Landmark, Oakmont has been the site of the crowning of these U.S. Open champions: Tommy Armour (1927); Sam Parks Jr. (1935); Ben Hogan (1953); Jack Nicklaus (1962); Johnny Miller (1973); Larry Nelson (1983); Ernie Els (1994) and Angel Cabrera (2007).

"We are honored that the USGA has accepted our invitation to return to our historic course for a record ninth U.S. Open Championship," said Oakmont Country Club President Bill Griffin. "We value our longtime relationship with the USGA and are looking forward to building on the success of the 2007 U.S. Open, which is regarded as one of the best in that storied championship's history."

In addition to hosting more U.S. Opens than any other venue, Oakmont has served as the site for six other USGA championships: the U.S. Amateur in 1919, 1925, 1938, 1969 and 2003, and the U.S. Women's Open in 1992.
Prior to 2016, the U.S. Open will be played at Pebble Beach (Calif.) Golf Links in 2010; Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md., in 2011; The Olympic Club in San Francisco, Calif., in 2012; Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa., in 2013; Pinehurst Resort & Country Club in the Village of Pinehurst, N.C., in 2014; and Chambers Bay in University Place, Wash., in 2015.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 11:24:44 PM »
Ok...who's excited for Congressional in 2011...raise your hands.

Can we just skip that year?

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »
That's great news.  Having just played there recently, I'm looking forward to the carnage like in '07.

You thought that was carnage? 

Given the speed of the greens and depth of bunkering, I thought Oakmont was set up in 2007 to be as enjoyable a U.S. Open to watch as I can remember.

The old tournaments at Oakmont were a lot more painful to watch, with 6" rough and trees enclosing too many corridors.  2007 was a joy by comparison, IMO.

Bill,

Oddly, in those other Opens Oakmont got absolutely toasted, with a ton of folks under par the year Miller shot 63, Larry Nelson shooting 65-66 on a weekend (sort of), etc. etc.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back