News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Very Good North Berwick website...
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »
I was trying to unearth more info on Peter Lees and came across a NB site I've never seen.

http://www.northberwick.org.uk/clubmaker.html

GREAT info on the sons of NB who were the first pros of all those great US east coast courses. I am always filled with admiration at how they just boarded ships and sailed away...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Adam Clayman

Re:Very Good North Berwick website...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Martin, Thanx for the link. I just started to read when this hit me.
John Arundel and his twin brother James were born in North Berwick in 1894, sons of Thomas Arundel, a master plasterer and his wife Margaret Merdie. The family lived at Springhill, 2, Clifford Road, North Berwick where his father had a plasterers business. The company motif can be seen today embedded in the pavements in the Quadrant.

On leaving school, John apprenticed as club maker and was a member of Bass Rock Golf Club, winning the club scratch medal in 1906.

Did he really win it at the age of 12?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
Bumping this,

Re: Magnificent North Berwick website...

great find.

Anyone else know this?

"James Braid's first venture into golf course design came in 1894 when he assisted Ben Sayers to layout the nine-hole Rhodes course at North Berwick. "
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »
Martin & Tony - I found this great site a few weeks ago when I was doing some research on our local Greenville Country Club. One of North Berwicks' favorite sons, Davie Ferguson, was the first head professional at Greenville CC and lived in Greenville until has death in 1963.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:56:57 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
I was trying to unearth more info on Peter Lees and came across a NB site I've never seen.

http://www.northberwick.org.uk/clubmaker.html

GREAT info on the sons of NB who were the first pros of all those great US east coast courses. I am always filled with admiration at how they just boarded ships and sailed away...

FBD.

Martin
What a great site.  Whilst aware of the history of the West Links, Ben Sayers etc I had never realised the full extent of the contribution North Berwick and its citizens has made to the history and development of golf.

Surprisingly I've been on the main site (www.northberwick.org.uk) a number of times for golf information without finding the subsite.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Paul Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
Dougie Seaton is the "proprietor" of the North Berwick website and an absolutely wonderful ambassador for North Berwick. He has been working on the site for about 10 years now adding things here and there over the years. Dougie and I had a several year period during which we were exchanging emails on a regular basis about golf and in particular its history at North Berwick.

I went to Scotland in '98 and Dougie and I had a chance to play the West Links together. It was an absolute blast. Dougie came here to visit in Richmond, VA, in about 2000. He and his wife visited in July in the middle of one of the most brutally hot stretches of weather I can recall. It was over 100 degrees their entire stay. Certainly not the weather they are used to in NB - they about melted.

Dougie was appointed as Bass Rock Golf Club's official historian in the 90's and was commissioned to write the Club's history. Bass Rock Golf Club is 1 of 4 clubs which share the West Links course, the others being Tantallon, North Berwick Golf Club, and the Women's Golf Club which plays there. Dougie gave me a copy of it when he came over. It's called "Bass Rock Golf Club: The First 125 Years." It is a really interesting read with some great old pictures. Here's the book cover:

I have an extra copy of the book. If interested, IM me and I will be happy to mail it to you.

When Dougie was in the early stages of developing his NB website way back when I scanned quite a few photos for him to use on the site. I always get a kick out of seeing that some of them are still being used on his site.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:32:20 PM by Paul Sinclair »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
Bass Rock Golf Club is 1 of the 3 clubs which share the West Links course, the others being Tantallon and North Berwick Golf Club.

Paul, I hope you never say this in front of the Women in NB - there are 4 clubs that play on the West Links ;).
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back