News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Re:Royal St Georges (pics)
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »
Andrew - I am not sure, but I would suspect the pin may ve been closer still than it appears in the picture when the Open was played.

There is nothing to add to what Ed has said in terms of what Bjorn should have done, and the two errors he made - too greedy off the tee, and too ambitious out of the bunker (twice).

To Brent's points re the rough and funny bounces - doubtless everyone remembers that Tiger lost his opening tee shot on the first hole in 2003. Personally I am not sure that is much of a badge of honour!

When we played it the course was still very green following a very wet summer, so some of the fire you would get in a warmer summer was absent. That said, my sense is that the club know that too many pros missed the fairway on 1,17 and 18 during the Open. Next time round I suspect these fairways will be easier to find.

I wonder if he took his lessons from RSG to Hoylake in 2006. Hoylake does not have same undulation that RSG has, but maybe that style of play is what is needed round RSG too if you want to avoid some of the vagaries of the bounce.

All that said - I think focusing on "vagaries of the bounce" is to miss the point. It is a wonderful golf course that does not deserve to be remembered that way - except possibly when the course set up is extreme.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »
Let me add this to my earlier comments. For every "well struck drive" that I saw bounce into the fescue during Amateur week, there were four or five drives that looked good in the air but due to slightly misjudged distance, line and/or wind landed a couple yards into the tall stuff. Having watched a tournament in person I now remember Royal St. George's as a brilliant test of driving your ball whereas after having seen it played only on television my mental image had more to do with bad bounces and so forth.

I think it is hard to tell on television the difference between any old tough, narrow course off the tee versus a comprehensive driving examination such as RsG.

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »

Bump for those interested in traveling to play in BUDA 2009.  Enjoy Philip's photo tour of RSG.

This one is moving higher up my "must play soon" list.

John,

Now on your "will play September" list - congrats.

Phil McDade

Re: Royal St Georges (pics)
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
Nicklaus was fond of saying Open rota courses got better the farther north you traveled, which many took as a slam against Sandwich, the most southerly course in the rota. I can see why Nicklaus -- who liked courses with obvious features and logical outcomes of shots good and bad -- wouldn't care for RSG. Wonderful pics; is the place as "stuffy" as its reputation?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

I'm not scared.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
is the place as "stuffy" as its reputation?

Phil

What reputation ? the staff and members seemed nice enough at lunch when I was there with them.

One gentlemen was politely reminded that he needed to put a tie on the the bar afterwards but I dont see any problem with that as after all he was a guest of the club. The staffer then provided the visitor with one from the spares he had for the area.

The history in that room is awesome.

Phil McDade

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Based on my (admittedly somewhat limited) readings of the Open rota courses, Sandwich has a reputation of being, for lack of a better term, stuffy. It's said to have one of the more distinguished memberships in all of GB.

That's not to suggest I don't enjoy the course from afar. It has a great history, and I'd rather watch an Open at Sandwich than almost any other rota course.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 04:59:40 AM »

Bump for those interested in traveling to play in BUDA 2009.  Enjoy Philip's photo tour of RSG.

This one is moving higher up my "must play soon" list.

John,

Now on your "will play September" list - congrats.

Eric

Thanks for the bump.  I'd forgotten Philip's excellent photo tour which certainly whets the appetite for next September.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back