News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Any Info on Ballyhack?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
More construction pics of the course, taken on 23 Nov:

Front nine:

#9 from tee:

#9 shaping:

#3 and #4:

tlavin

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
I'll leave a more definitive opinion to the pros on the board, but that sure seems like a perfect property for the construction of a golf course.  As for the name, the "bally" may be overused, but I rather like the ballyhack.  Could also go with ballyslash, ballychunk, ballydunk, ballyslap.  Hell, the possibilities are endless.

Anybody know what a national membership is going for?

Paul Carey

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »
Is the site up for Ballyhack yet?  It looks great so far!

Terry, an article in the Roanoke Times:
"The club model calls for only 60 local and 200 national members. Fully refundable membership deposits run from $40,000 to $130,000, with annual dues from $2,500 to $10,000. All of those numbers vary depending on a member's location and status."

Paul

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Paul, look what I found:

http://www.ballyhackgolfclub.com

Lots of construction pics and other info.

Lester George

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting the latest pics.  

Terry,

As I explained in an earlier post, I would have avoided the name "Bally" anything until we found out that Ballyhack was actually the name of the area until about 1940.  There are actually people who STILL call Mt. Pleasant "Ballyhack".  

As for the site, the pictures really don't do it justice.  It is a breathtaking site with tremendous terrain that is bold and has about perfect frequency.  Its is not perfect, but it is very good.

Lester

Paul Sinclair

Re: Any Info on Ballyhack?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:59 AM »
I worked with Lester George on a renovation of a course I'm a member of in Richmond, Virginia. We had such a great time working together on that project that he asked me to help him create a little website where he can keep people up to date on the progress of his Ballyhack course. Lester is both the course architect and a partner in the project and he has been really interested in telling the story of Ballyhack from his personal point of view. We're setting up a blog where Lester and some of his partners will be doing just that. It's in the early stages of development right now but it's here:

Building Ballyhack Blog

We're going to try and make a little bit of a "reality show" about what goes into building a golf course. We hope it will be educational as well as interesting for golfers who may not ever have the chance to be involved in a golf course construction project. For most of you guys here on GCA there will probably not be anything particularly educational for you but it will give you a chance to keep up with the project if you are interested in it.

Lester George

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
Thanks Paul.

Ya'll check out the Ballyhack Blog

Lester

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
Mr. George,

Just checked out the blog and watched the videos, looks like a really special project.  I was just curious as to the type of grasses that you are using at Ballyhack?
Thanks,
Brendan

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:45 PM »
I live in Roanoke, and know several BallyHack members.  Lester and crew are building on a truly spectacular piece of property.  Honestly, the photos don't do it justice.  It's maybe four miles from the city, but it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere.

Playing a round there when the fall trees have changed colors will be truly special.

WW

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 08:58:06 AM »
Some updated construction pics of bunkering:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:38:55 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Lester George

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 11:14:47 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting.  I am Ballyhack today and tomorrow to final grassing lines.  We start seeding next Wednesday.  On schedule to open next summer/fall.

Lester

Cory Brown

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 12:18:15 AM »
Lester,

The bunkers look great.  Are you planning longer fescues on the bunker banks or will it be cut a rough height?  Either way they look very rugged.

Lester George

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Cory,

Most bunkers will have the Primary rough cut (2-3 inch fescue) associated with the fairway side and Secondary (6+ inches, native blend) around on the backside.  Our goal is not to look too contrived or formal anywhere.  Bunkers in the middle of fairways will have fair (bent) right to Secondary.

Lester

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
Grassing has started on a few holes:

#4:

#4 fairway:

#3:

#4 tees:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back