News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Paradigm shift needed for clubs
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
Minimum spinimum, liquor counts against ours. My family prays for the month I don't meet mine.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
Minimum spinimum, liquor counts against ours. My family prays for the month I don't meet mine.

I spill more than our minimum. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
Brian, it's very important that your kids NOT know the family club account number!

Impossible.  For domestic tranquility, the club bill should be sent to the office and paid from a separate account

To the guy who has never had a good meal at a club, I have had many.  Sadly, very few at my former club of over 20 years.

Without monthly billing, membership rolls would decline, probably steeply.  Not a small number of members struggle enough to pay the monthly bill, even with their names and amounts owed posted on the bulletin board.

You are spot on, the club bill, and the American Express bill, always go to the office.   This is important info for the younger guys!

Ken Moum

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
"Two great Golfing Nations separated by strange customs."

Each model has been, and likely will continue to be, successful in their own way.

DT    

I'm not so sure.

In my part of the world one club after another is going under, and ending up in the hands of people who realize that full-service restaurants are killing the business of golf.

It may not have reached the coasts yet at that level, but I cannot see how our system can stay in operation.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Andrew Buck

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
At our not particularly upmarket club, the dining service is mostly there as an amenity for the roughly 50% of the members who live either adjacent to the club or in subdivisions within a mile or two. They love doing the Friday night dinner thing and they see all the usual suspects there each week. Problem is, those "usual suspects" are at most a dozen couples and fewer than a handful of families. Most Fridays there are single-digit numbers of occasional diners. So you've got this enormous kitchen and dining room with a moderately elaborate menu being put into service for about 30-odd people. And that leaves off the occasional Friday where for various random reasons nobody at all shows up or there are only a single-digit number of dinners served, total.

P.S. And don't get me started on the underpriced, overserved "money making" wedding banquets we host 25 or so times a year. By the time all the staff make their overtime we either lose a few dollars or maybe occasionally come out a hundred bucks to the good. But the staff love their twice a month extra hundred bucks and I suppose I should not begrudge them that.

Brent,

It seems our clubs share *some* similarities.  Based on that, I suspect the weddings aren't really there to make money, but simply to provide enough work that they club can retain the staff (wait and kitchen) at the level desired for the 30 people on their Friday nights.   I know that was one reason they extended that business outside of just members at our club, they were unable to retain the quality of staff they desired if they didn't have enough work to justify it.

Basically, need to go through all that effort to break even on 25 nights, because without it, you can't afford the Chef or waitresses on your own.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back