News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

To The North III: NAIRN New
« on: June 27, 2007, 04:20:41 PM »
This is a course that despite holding a Walker Cup not long ago and placing favourably in the UK rankings still seems to go a bit unnoticed.  I haven't heard much about the course on GCA except for ambivalent comments.  I will go on record now and say I think the course is very good.  There isn't an absolute knockout hole on the course except for perhaps the 14th.  This was certainly the best short hole I played this week - even better than Dornoch's 6th.  One aspect of the design which impressed me were the several greens which fell from front to back - very subtly.  It seems to be a rare feature and when one does come across this sort of thing it tends to be in bunches.  Also, there are several short par 4s to help things along when times are tough.  These aren't just pushover holes either - they all have something cool about them.  Here a few pix to whet your appetite. 

The approach to #1.  I slashed a 5 iron out of the rough and onto the green from 145 yards into a 20mph wind.  Once I saw the ball roll something like 50 yards after landing I new I wasn't in Kansas anymore.  Just walking across the first green was all I needed to see to realize that Nairn's greens were in absolutely perfect condition.  Very firm and rolling about 10, an approach just lightly bruised the carpet.  It has been more than a few years since I have seen such pristine greens.

Things became more interesting on the 3rd, a dogleg left to a raised green with a front to back slope.  

The 13th takes us up to the high ground and #13 is a great par 3 down the hill, but back into the wind.  The main feature is the all-world green. The contours are so bold they are easily made out from the tee.

There is a wild false front and almost in an effort to counter-balance this drop off is the massive hump in back. Between the pin and the hump is obviously a large swale.  You can just make out my ball on the hump, how a 3 wood from 200 yards holds this tiny section of the green is beyond me.  Here is a side shot of the green.

The very short par 4 15th has a wonderfully humpty bumpty fairway.  The approach to 17 must traverse a burn and the 18th is a par 5 not without merit. 

As I stated earlier, I don't know what about Nairn could be unpleasing.  I think it is a solid course with a few excellent holes.  I don't normally deduct or add points for conditioning, but in the case of Nairn it would be criminal not to reward the course for the state of their greens and how they maintain the rough at a manageable length.  Nearly all balls well off line are findable, but recovery is gonna cost you.  Nairn probably isn't the sort of course one plans a trip around, but the proximity of the airport and quality of the greens makes it a good way to start or end a trip.    

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:26:21 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Huckaby

Re:To The North III: Nairn
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
More great stuff, Sean.  And I'm with you - never could understand how Nairn gets poo-poohed, as it does in here.  I liked it a lot.  And when I played it several years ago, the greens were fantastic then also - that's one of the first things I commented on as well.  Nairn's greens in terms of condition were the smoothest and truest I saw in all of Scotland.  Some in here look at that as a bad thing.... I guess it's too American?  But heck, great greens are great greens.  And there sure as heck are some wild contours, also.

6.4 sounds right to me.  I likely would have given it closer to 7.4 when I played, but I probably paid at least 75 pounds less than you did.  I recall this being something like 20 pounds.

TH

Tom Huckaby

Re:To The North III: NAIRN
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
Sean - I understand completely - I was just speculating/trying to recall the complaints that others had before.  My recollection of the greens jives with your take here completely.

And when discussing this course I've treated it the same way - you just can't NOT mention the high-quality green conditions.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »
Tom H. -

I believe the green fees at Nairn are higher than at Royal Dornoch.

Sean A. -

I think Nairn will be hosting a Curtis Cup within the next few years. They have played the British Am there as well.  

Again I agree with your comments. The greens in Nairn are the best conditioned ones I have seen so far in Scotland.

While Nairn is not in the least "unpleasing," it does not have the magic that one finds at Royal Dornoch and it is way too polished to have the "diamond in the rough" quality that makes Brora so interesting. It is just a very, very good golf course! ;)

It will be interesting to see how the course up the coastline at Castle Stuart turns out and how it will compare to Nairn.

DT

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
David - wow - well, that takes it down a few notches on the SRA scale.  It's been several years since I was there... maybe my memory is wrong, maybe I got some great deal, but I don't recall paying very much.

TH

Doug Spets

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »

I played Nairn last August in fairly benign conditions...and loved it.  I'd love to play it with the wind howling.  Had a 15 minute rainstorm that struck just as we climbed the 13th hole. (as high a climb as I saw on a Scottish links course last summer)  The 14th green was incredible...almost Augusta-like, if memory serves, as I was battling rain that was coming down sideways at the time.  One of the local members in our group painted a great watercolor of that hole that he gave each American in my group.  It's also available in the golf shop.  Great, great golf course.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
Sean

More great photos - keep 'em coming ;D

I played Nairn in 2004. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it, and how good I thought it was until I saw these photos. I thought the greens were the smoothest I'd ever played on - almost as if they'd been ironed rather than rolled! For a course which has hosted a recent Walker Cup it has a very low profile both on here and elsewhere in the UK golf media.

The third is a great short par 4, and indeed the run of opening holes along the Moray Firth is as good a set of starting holes as you could wish for.  Things go a bit quieter once you go inland but the sequence through 12, 13 14 & 15 is excellent.

We also played Moray Old and Nairn Dunbar when we were up there. I think you made the right choice in Nairn. I was disappointed with Moray as the fairways were in very poor condition and whilst the jets flying directly overhead on take off/landing are entertaining to begin with the noise etc becomes tedious after an hour or so!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
Sean ,

A great report and some wondeful photos. We played as a two-ball and had a fine eighteen holes and finished in a good deal less than three hours. Instead of playing again, which I now regret, we went over to Nairn Dunbar. Not nearly as scenically attractive as Nairn, it had some muscular par fours that got my attention. It was some time ago but I thought Dunbar was a couple of shots harder.

Nairn at the time of my last visit had the tiniest pro shop in golf and it was stacked to the rafters with merchandise. I understand the new shop was built with money left by a member in his will. Sean, what is it like?

Bob

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
Bob -

Nairn likely has the most modern club house & proshop of any golf club in the Highlands. I presume it was built around the time Nairn hosted the Walker Cup.

It is a very nice facility, but, to be honest, it is a little too modern, too "American" for my taste. Not much "old-world" charm there.

DT

Michael Hayes

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:18:06 AM »
Sean...

Thanks for the great pics of Nairn.  I admit it had faded from the forefront of my memory as I played it early in the day as a 2-ball before one of the most memorable rounds of my life at Dornoch.  I do remember the greens being as close to perfect and the 14th is a green I could play to again and again.  

Thanks...

Michael Hayes
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:27:12 AM »
£75 to play a course that has hosted the Walker Cup and British Amateur sounds like a pretty good deal to me AND you can play at weekends for the same money.

I've a friend whose a member but never ventured to Nairn yet, although I have been to the town for a wedding sadly sans clubs.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
I am one who rates Nairn highly.  Even the seemingly straightforward holes have mischief and the speed of the greens all year round makes the approach shot testing on every hole.  The one hole I have a problem with is the 13th.  I cannot hit a long enough drive to leave myself a high enough shot to reach the green.  I should need a 100-yard start over you, Sean, on that hole.  Nice photos.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:38 PM »

I didn't care for the clubhouse at all.  Dave is right, it has no soul - it feels like it should be full of old people drinking tea.  Mind you, none of the clubhouses up this way have soul except for Carnegie.  Nobody ever claimed the Scots were brilliant architects!

Ciao

Sean,

Someone built some beautiful buildings in Edinburgh but I guess that was a long time ago.

Bob

Ray Tennenbaum

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »
really nice reports & photos, Sean.  

unless I've missed it -- just curious, what sort of photo gear are you using?  any post-production tweaking?  

Doug Bolls

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 09:17:55 PM »
Nairn - Just another golf course among many in Scotland.  I don't have it in my top 10 by any means.
It was enjoyable enough, but not particularly outstanding.  I remember a little loop back inland and into the woods then back out to the seaside - like they ran out of room and had to improvise.
I would put it well below North Berwick, Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen - and maybe even Montrose.  
I didn't dislike it - just not so memorable when compared to others in Scotland.
DB

Ken Moum

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 10:35:09 AM »
The thing that stands out to me about Nairn is how "American" it seems.

We played it last July after playing Cruden Bay and most of Dunbar, then followed it up with RDC, Brora, The Boat, New, Jubilee, TOC, Lundin and N. Berwick.

My wife and I we accompanied by our VERY "American" friends who thought Nairn was the best course the played, mostly due to the quality of the putting surfaces, how "fair" is was, and it's familiar feel.

My wife and I OTOH, adored Brora..... For its essential Scottishness.

My friend said this trip would be the last time he'd leave the USA, while my wife and I didn't want to come home.

The other thing that stands out about Nairn is how flat it seems, compared to the lovely undulations of some other linksland.  

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ken Moum

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »
The rest of the course is generally flat with several noted exceptions, but none the less it is pure links.  Consequently, I find it odd that anybody would think Nairn is American like in setup, style or how it plays.  

Ciao

I think it was the relative lack of fairway undulation more than anything. My friend is a ridiculously straight driver, and courses like Brora, Cruden and TOC drove him nuts. He'd hit a "perfect" drive and it would get a goofy bounce--and he'd go off.

But at Nairn, that generally didn't happen.

Perhaps is was the fact that I sandwiched Nairn between Dunbar, Dornoch and Brora that made it feel that way... because you're right, Nairn certainly isn't American-style golf.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:42:32 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back