News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Shout Out to Forrest Fezler
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »
Did anyone notice the brief glimpse of a very young Forrest Fezler during one of NBC's taped interludes Sunday afternoon? I was sitting around with my dad after Father's Day dinner with the TV on and the sound off. There was some kind of feature about Roger Maltbie and it showed what looked like yearbook photos of Maltbie and our friend Forrest. I grabbed the DVR remote and said "Wait, I know this guy!"...

George Pazin

Re:Shout Out to Forrest Fezler
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
Brent, they did a segment on the time that Mr. Fezler switched into shorts in the latter stages of a round. It was pretty funny.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:25 AM »
There was a story about Forrest wearing shorts in a US Open....It was an embarrassment.  I knew the guy had no fashion sense when he wore a disco leather blazer at the Dixie Cup.  I really felt for the guy as most of our phopaws of youth are not so well documented.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
There was a story about Forrest wearing shorts in a US Open....It was an embarrassment.  I knew the guy had no fashion sense when he wore a disco leather blazer at the Dixie Cup.  I really felt for the guy as most of our phopaws of youth are not so well documented.

For those of you from a Blue State...

phopaws = faux pas
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom Yost

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:10:31 PM »
Although I didn't remember the name Forrest Fezler, I remember the incident and enjoyed the TV segment.

Man, looking at the fashions of the time,  those short-shorts were just wrong.  :o

Tom

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
Although I didn't remember the name Forrest Fezler, I remember the incident and enjoyed the TV segment.

Man, looking at the fashions of the time,  those short-shorts were just wrong.  :o

Tom

Obviously you have not seen my legs!! :)
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
At what US Open did Bobby Clampett hit the ball off his knees?  These stories do little to promote the game as anything more than a spoiled childs game.  Next year the feel good fluff pieces could be much better given the public nature of the course.  My round at Torrey was the first time I had ever played with an African American man or an Aisian woman...and I did it during the same round no less.  Any other feel good Torrey Pines stories out there?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:28:14 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »
At what US Open did Bobby Clampett hit the ball off his knees?  These stories do little to promote the game as anything more than a spoiled childs game.  Next year the feel good fluff pieces could be much better given the public nature of the course.  My round at Torrey was the first time I had ever played with an African American man or an Aisian Woman...and I did it during the same round no less.  Any other feel good Torrey Pines stories out there?

Are you referring to Criad Stadler on his knees when he used the towel?  That was at Torrey Pines and he got rung up for "building his stance"...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Obviously you have not seen my legs!! :)

I hope you have longer shorts for Sunday, even though you have such nice legs ;).
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »
At what US Open did Bobby Clampett hit the ball off his knees?  These stories do little to promote the game as anything more than a spoiled childs game.  Next year the feel good fluff pieces could be much better given the public nature of the course.  My round at Torrey was the first time I had ever played with an African American man or an Aisian Woman...and I did it during the same round no less.  Any other feel good Torrey Pines stories out there?

Are you referring to Criad Stadler on his knees when he used the towel?  That was at Torrey Pines and he got rung up for "building his stance"...

The Stadler incident should make a nice piece. (Is there anything easier than coming up with golf topics?) I was talking about a time when Bobby Clampett hit a drive from his knees as a joke and it got him in loads of trouble.  I would Google it myself but am stuck once again posting on my phone.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »
Though I do not remember the year, Clampitt was invited to play as a marker after missing the cut. This occurred very early in his career. For some reason I'm under the impression that his group started on the tenth hole- perhaps there was a weather problem that necessitated a two-tee start.

Anyway, he played from tee shots from his knees for one or two holes before being relieved of his assignment. It was felt (correctly, IMO) that his actions were contrary to the nature of the competition. I do not know how his fellow competitor(s) felt.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »
I found this:

Bob Clampett, 19, one of the United States' top young amateur golfers, was taken off the U.S. Open course after the 12th hole today by furious U.S. Golf Association officials because of repeated antics that included teeing off from his knees and putting between his legs.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »
Forrest — my brother — tells a great story about putting on the shorts. We hope to be working together on a few projects this coming year.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:55:43 AM »
If anyone has the opportunity to go up to the Member's Room at Spyglass they still may have the plaque and scorecard of Forest Fezler's record breaking round of 70 that he shot as an amateur that stood for some years, it was shot during an NCGA Championship round and was from the tippy tips. Not many Crosby's went all the way back.

Some of the so-called best rounds there were generally of the lift, clean and place variety. Fezler's was one genuine record.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 12:56:48 AM »
I found this:

Bob Clampett, 19, one of the United States' top young amateur golfers, was taken off the U.S. Open course after the 12th hole today by furious U.S. Golf Association officials because of repeated antics that included teeing off from his knees and putting between his legs.

Nice....He stinks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back