News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Bill,

That is a fascinating thought. Obviously I am not who you're looking for, and local soil / turf has to have something and maybe a lot to do with it, but Mac designed his bunkers using principles he developed for constructing military entrenchments -- specifically how to design trenches so they would not cave or collapse, a very big deal in WW1.

Mark

RJ_Daley

did any of you gents hear commentators this week talking about the RM tournament preparation practice of bringing in extra heavy rollers to go right up to those fall-in bunker lips, to compact them so that those razor straight cuts into the bunker face slopes do not catch and hang up a ball that might be flown directly into their steep or vertical faces? 

I continue to believe that the straight edged, "curvilinear high side lips" as was described on this old thread so aptly, is unique to the cultural maintenance practices of the Australian tradition.  I also would like those that play RM and some of the other sand belt courses to comment as to whether they let these sharp edge cuts go and not so razor cut on a normal everyday member club play basis. 

It just seems to me that one way to cut those edges razor sharp would be exactly as the commentators suggested;  to heavy roll them to compact the soil and then cut them with whatever soil cutting instrument, leaving a hard face of compacted soil and roots off of which balls bounce and repell rather than stick like velcro.  Then, after the big toon-a-mint, they can let them shag out a bit and regain their body and rootzone integrity.  I also wonder if the particle types of their sand may be more angular and sharp and tends to allow them to compact the edge without crumbling, as opposed to more round particles that would seem would naturally crumble and not compact.

Just speculating, until someone that actually knows from being part of or close to the local maintenance practices can come on here and tell us the actual facts...

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back