News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Hickory golf and marketing
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
Ken,
I don't think you mean 1935.
The periods we are most concerned with are in the decade following WWI and then again in the early part of the 1920s, following the first ball rules.
The magazines of the era will typically have hole descriptions that include a recommendation for the club. I recommend going out and trying to recreate the shots so that you can see for yourself. I have found an iron shot into a 3 par to be the best test for a comparison.

It is unfortunate the books on balls don't deal with this subject, but there purpose is more about 'valuation'.

You're right, I meant 1931, when the 1.68" ball was created.

Since I don't have any of the magazines you mention, where would you suggest looking for a good reference?

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »
John,

My wife and I wee playing Rancho Bernardo Inn GC last year and ran into Chris McIntyre, who is the head of Play Hickory Golf. They specialize in running events in which they will outfit the entire field with hickory clubs and more importantly period balls. He was then in the process of perfecting both rubber and gutta percha balls. Hit cut in front of us and with our permission drove of 3 different types of balls with a circa 1890's driver. All three drew beautifully and landed in a tight grouping about 185 off the tee. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.playhickory.com/

I must admit he did look dapper in his plus fours, shirt with tie and Hogan cap.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:58:11 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
Ken,
I don't think you mean 1935.
The periods we are most concerned with are in the decade following WWI and then again in the early part of the 1920s, following the first ball rules.
The magazines of the era will typically have hole descriptions that include a recommendation for the club. I recommend going out and trying to recreate the shots so that you can see for yourself. I have found an iron shot into a 3 par to be the best test for a comparison.

It is unfortunate the books on balls don't deal with this subject, but there purpose is more about 'valuation'.

You're right, I meant 1931, when the 1.68" ball was created.

Since I don't have any of the magazines you mention, where would you suggest looking for a good reference?

K

Try the periodicals section here;
http://www.usgamuseum.com/researchers/usga_segl/
Rummage through their collections of The Golfer, American Golfer, Golf Illustrated, USGA Bulletins.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:26:10 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
John,

My wife and I wee playing Rancho Bernardo Inn GC last year and ran into Chris McIntyre, who is the head of Play Hickory Golf. They specialize in running events in which they will outfit the entire field with hickory clubs and more importantly period balls. He was then in the process of perfecting both rubber and gutta percha balls. Hit cut in front of us and with our permission drove of 3 different types of balls with a circa 1890's driver. All three drew beautifully and landed in a tight grouping about 185 off the tee. Here is a link to his website:

I must admit he did look dapper in his plus fours, shirt with tie and Hogan cap.

I played with the 1920s style ball shown on his site.  The balls are pricey, but mishits did not seem to go nearly as far offline - they just didn't go anywhere.  I almost managed to lose one ball at Kingsley, but found it on my next round of the day.

Have you tried hickories?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
I occasionally see the Bobby Jones Calloway Hickory Sticks for sale and was wondering if anyone knew how these clubs would play when compared to vintage or era clubs from the 30's and earlier.  The woods are persimmons and the irons are somewhat modern (70's/80's) cavity backs all with hickory shafts.  It looks like these clubs would not be permitted in hickory golfers assoc. tournaments so I'm guessing that means they will play more like modern clubs.

Ken Moum

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:59 AM »
I occasionally see the Bobby Jones Calloway Hickory Sticks for sale and was wondering if anyone knew how these clubs would play when compared to vintage or era clubs from the 30's and earlier.  The woods are persimmons and the irons are somewhat modern (70's/80's) cavity backs all with hickory shafts.  It looks like these clubs would not be permitted in hickory golfers assoc. tournaments so I'm guessing that means they will play more like modern clubs.

Those are actually steel-shafted clubs.  That's why they are allowed in hickory competitions.

The hickory shafts were bored and the steel shaft was inserted in the hole.  I seem to recall a story about Dick Helmstetter in which he said he got hired because of his experience as a billiard cue designer--something about application of technology to the golf biz.

But the hickory stick company was actually formed by Richard Parente and Dick De La Cruz, who sold it to Ely Callaway.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike Policano

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
Ralph, congratulations on the award you received from the Society of Hickory Golfers. It was well deserved.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
I occasionally see the Bobby Jones Calloway Hickory Sticks for sale and was wondering if anyone knew how these clubs would play when compared to vintage or era clubs from the 30's and earlier.  The woods are persimmons and the irons are somewhat modern (70's/80's) cavity backs all with hickory shafts.  It looks like these clubs would not be permitted in hickory golfers assoc. tournaments so I'm guessing that means they will play more like modern clubs.

Those are actually steel-shafted clubs.  That's why they are allowed in hickory competitions.

The hickory shafts were bored and the steel shaft was inserted in the hole.  I seem to recall a story about Dick Helmstetter in which he said he got hired because of his experience as a billiard cue designer--something about application of technology to the golf biz.

But the hickory stick company was actually formed by Richard Parente and Dick De La Cruz, who sold it to Ely Callaway.

K
Ken I assume that was a typo.
The old Callaways are NOT allowed in any 'hickory'events that I know of.
Over the years people have tried to sneak them into wood shaft tournaments.
FYI; Over the years I have tried to convince some of the people interested in the early steel shafts to start there own events.
no success, yet.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:30:43 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike McGuire

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
John,

Our club rented a bunch of hickory sets from Chris McIntyre several years ago for a hickory event on our 75th anniversary.  It was a huge hit and I recommend Chris's company.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back