News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Stankevich

New Course: Park Ridge GC, Lake Worth, Florida
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:54:43 PM »
On Friday March 16th, I had the pleasure of spending a couple hours riding around the brand new Park Ridge Golf Course in Lake Worth, Florida.  My friend and former employer Roy Case is the architect and he was kind enough to show me around the site, along with his design partner Jeff Grossman.
I have played close to 50 courses in south Florida and I can honestly say there is nothing in the area like it.  It is scheduled to open in the next week or so and the rates are supposed to be very reasonable (at $49 with cart I believe).

The course is on the site of a former landfill which was closed about 17 years ago.  Since the majority of the golf course is built on top of the landfill, most holes have 360-degree views and are exposed to the ever-present winds in the area.  There are virtually no trees on the site (except the obligatory plantings by the city :'(), and there is more elevation change on this site than Hawk's Nest in Vero Beach or Jupiter Hills.  
The routing flows around the site very naturally and even with the elevation changes, the course is very walkable with tees relatively close to greens. (walking will be allowed)

There are only about 30 bunkers on the entire course, but I never felt like there should have been more.  If there is one thing that GCA'ers may criticize, it's that the bunkers are fairly benign and they don't have the rough, natural look that is favored by many on this website.  There are only a couple of forced carries, but the rest of the holes allow for shots to be bounced or rolled into the green.  The course is fairly green right now, but they're starting to brown things up a bit and it will be playing firm and fast very soon.

There is this great expansive feel about the place.  Just golf course and a lot of sky.  This makes for some terrific blind shots, as well as many shots that you have to just trust the distance.  This is not an easy proposition with the amount of wind on the site.  The only water on the property is a large irrigation lake which runs along the par 5 12th, but it barely comes into play on 2 other holes

The course plays to a par 72 (35-37) with 6 par 3's, 6 par 4's, and 6 par 5's.  It has a nice balance of short, medium, and long par 3's and par 4's.  The yardage from the tips is 6919 with a course rating and slope of 73.2 and 134.

It's easy to get to as well.  Take I-95 to the Lantana Road exit and head west past the Florida Turnpike until you reach the intersection of Lyons Road.  The entrance to the course is just ahead on the right.

If you're in south Florida, it's definitely worth checking out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:59:04 PM by Pete Stankevich »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:New Course: Park Ridge GC, Lake Worth, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »
My wife and I played the course with Roy Case during our FL trip in early February. I had written to Roy requesting information on the course and he wrote back inviting us to play as the course was not officially opened yet. The course was ready but the clubhouse and the entrance road weren't. Roy was particularly interested in seeing how the course played from the forward tees and my wife obliged with 2 birdies on par3s.I played fairly well but didn't birdie any holes. The course is a 6-6-6 layout and is very playable. The elevation changes will generate a lot of play as the course is "different" for the area. The low cost should make this a prime candidate for GD's Best New Affordable. Roy has promised to send some quality pictures. Here is the course layout:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:59:06 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
Steve:
I think we were driving the cart down the 11th fairway when he told me the story about your wife and her 2 birdies!
That's the original routing plan that you posted and the one that's on the Palm Beach County website.  The 1st and 10th holes were switched and there is 90% less sand than is shown on that plan.
The new routing plan is on the scorecard which was just printed and I would imagine they will change the one on the website sometime soon.
I took about 25 pictures out there and I plan to post them soon.  I'm in the process of changing home computers, so I'll get to it eventually.
The entry road and parking area looked ready, although we parked at the treatment plant next door.  The clubhouse looks pretty close to finished.  They were working on some landscaping around the clubhouse on Friday, but I never made it inside.
A lot of town employees and guests of those connected to the course have played it.  In fact, there were a few groups out there while we drove around.  Roy said they may try to open it early this week if it's ready.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »
Holes of note:

The par4 5th: Split fairway.

The par4 8th: Requires a drive to the end of the fairway. The approach shot to the sunken green is severely downhill and over junk.

The par3 11th: A long drop shot .

The par5 12th: A risk/reward  with water on the left.

The par4 13th: A Cape hole that can be drivable downwind.

The par3 16th: Uphill.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »
Pete, Is is on the same sand ridge features that run though that part of central Florida?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
Tiger

As the site was a dormant solid waste landfill, I doubt the sand ridge was a factor. More than likely bulldozers were a major factor in creating the elevation. The course was jointly developed by Palm Beach County and its Solid Waste Authority. Roy Case has done other "brownfield" courses.

www.casegolf.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:19:16 AM »
Thanks Steve.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back