News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Mackenzie's Northwood Golf Club (Pics)
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
Northwood Golf Club in Monte Rio, California just west of Santa Rosa has got to be one of the hidden gems in golf.  In a recent trip to Northwood and Bodega Harbour, I was absolutely astounded at what I found in the Redwoods of Sonoma County.

Northwood Golf Club was established in 1928 and designed by Dr. Alister Mackenzie.  The course remains largely intact, despite many bunkers that have been grown over and various greens that appear to have shrunk over the years.  This course has one of the most amazing feels to it I have ever experienced.  I had the same feeling at Northwood that I had at SFGC.  I'm Serious!  You realize you are in a truly special place.

The course plays to a par 36 at 2,858 yds and is the epitome of what golf course architecture and GCA is all about.  This course had some remarkable bunkering to dictate lines of play, but has since been lost.  The mounding around greens and through fairways shows that bunkers were creatively placed to challenge the player to find the most suitable line to the green.  The Good Doctor's mark is all over this golf course.

The course was an absolute pleasure to play as I hit only one driver, and a bunch of three irons.  The course lends itself well to shot making as it takes some creative shot shaping to weave your way between 200+ year old redwoods.  The greens are also in great shape.  They are extremely consistent and smooth considering it is a very inexpensive daily fee course.  Holes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 have the most movement throughout the greens and the surrounds.

Below is a brief description of the holes with pictures.  I'm not sure what Doak rated this course in The Confidential Guide, but I would say if you are playing Mayacama or anywhere near the Santa Rosa area, you MUST go play this course.  If you don't, you are missing a seriously delightful round of golf.  This course has unbelieveable potential if a restoration was done.  It would be one of the best nine hole courses in the country.  Northwood would be a dream job for any of us!  To  simply walk the property and note where bunkers used to be and how the trees dicatated shot shop is truly special.

I've read the other threads on Northwood and the concensus seems to be that it is quite average.  I'm here to tell you that if you miss Northwood, you are missing one of the special places in west coast golf (PERIOD)!

The majesty of Northwoods

Hole #1 - 296 yds. - Par 4
A great opening hole that sends you into the redwoods from the most wide open space on the course.  There are two bunkers situatied about 240 yds. from the tee.

The green is situated just behind the redwoods on the left.  Note the grassed over bunker in the foreground.

The green of the first and the two bunkers, which only come into play if you hit driver or 3 wood.

Hole #2 - 382 yds. - Par 4
This is one of the best holes on the golf course.  The undulation throughout the fairway is amazing.  Soft, subtle rolls that look like something out of St. Andrews or Ballyneal.  This green is guarded by an extremely narrow gap of redwoods.  This holes actually lends itself to a low, running shot up the right side that feeds off the slope on the right side of the green.

From the center of the fairway, the golf can hardly see the top of the flag.  The green is located just below the gap in the redwoods.  Note the subtle undulations.

This picture is from behind the second green.  The slope on the left is the one I was referring to, when playing a low, running shot to this tight target.  AWESOME  The slope would be even better if it were maintained at fairway length.

Hole #3 - 145 yds. - Par 3
This green is one of the flattest on the course.  I don't think its the original either.  However, this hole is simply stunning as it is flanked by redwoods on all sides.

A picture of the third green from the second fairway.

Hole #4 - 274 yds. - Par 4
This hole present some interesting options off the tee.  I wasn't sure weather to hit six iron, three iron, or a punch cut driver around the redwoods.  The green on this hole pitches sharply from back to front, making anything long a very difficult shot, whether it be a chip or putt.

The teeshot on the 4th.  The green is located behind the tallest tree on the right.

Evidence of what may have been a bunker just to the left of the forth green.  Now a cartpath traverses its capes and bays.

A view from behind the green.  The second green is just to the left of the flag.

"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Jonathan McCord

Re:Mackenzie's Northwood Golf Club (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:32:33 PM »
Hole #5 - 478 yds. - Par 5
This is one of the narrowest holes on the course, but that's not saying much.  ;) It appears there used to be a string of three bunkers up the right hand side of the fairway challenging golfers to avoid them.  This green complex, along with the bunkering, is true Mackenzie.  The bunkers are very reminescent of Pasatiempo and Valley Club.

The narrow drive on this short par 5.

Here you can see the green and bunkers set below the redwoods.  These bunkers have the most character on the course and make me think that if all the bunkers were faithfully restored, what an unbelieveable look this course would have.

A closer look at these magnificent hazards.

Hole #6 - 274 yds. - Par 4
Originally, this holes probably had some of the best bunkering on the course.  It appears as the though a line of  five to six bunkers ran down the middle of the fairway towards the green.  The hole is know bunkerless, but would have been something back in the day.  It is a short dogleg right, forcing the player to avoid a leaning redwood off the tee.  This holes runs alongside of #1, and proceeds back out into the open space of the first tee area.

Your teeshot must find its way around the leaning redwood on the right.

Looking towards the green, you can see where some bunkering used to be.  This is about 160 yds. from the green.

The bunkering did continue across the fairway and ran into the left hand side of the green.  I would also think there was an interesting shaped bunker on the right side of the green between the tree and the putting surface.

Hole #7 - 368 yds. - Par 4
This little dogleg right is another very tight hole, especially for the approach.  The green is flank by to great bunkers making the low runner much more difficult then it is on #2.  A tee shot must favor the left side of the fairway, to stay away from the overhanging redwoods on the right.

Looking back towards the teeing area on #7.  It is right between those two stands of redwoods.

The green is at grade and is flanked by two perfectly shaped bunkers, making the run-up shot below the redwoods more difficult.

Hole #8 - 110 yds. - Par 3
This hole immediately reminded me on the 15th at Cypress.  The green has certainly shrunk over the years as I believe it may have been an upside down L in its shape.  There are four great bunkers around this green making a tough target, especially at its current size and width.

The great 8th.  Try to picture the green being widened to the bunkers on each side and then imagine a back right tier.  The undulations in the green would certainly make this possible as you would be able to putt from the back right to front and vice versa if needed.

This is from behind the green.  Picture the green expanded to the bunker on the right and then follow the push cart lines around the slope on the bunker on the left on the picture.  This would make for an awesome par 3.

Again, look at the separation between green and back bunker.

Hole #9 - 527 yds. - Par 5
The website says this is one of the toughest par 5s in the Bay Area, and to some extent I agree.  I simply hit 3 iron, 3 iron, gap wedge.  It's not that tough, you just have to use a little bit of course managment.  I would like to think there was another very impressive bunker on the right hand side of this fairway.  It appears as there is some interesting shaping where the cartpath now runs up the slope.

The teeshot.  Take a look at the cartpath going up the fairway.  It is going through, what I think, used to be one of the larger bunkers on the course, or one of the more impressive series of bunkers.  There is some unique mounding there.

The approach to the green.

Again, the majesty of Northwood is unreal.  I encourage all of you to stop by, as it is simply a stunning walk.  Just enjoy the tranquility of the wilderness and the work of the Doctor.  It is truly spectacular.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:35:45 PM by Jonathan McCord »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 03:36:35 PM »
Love to play there.  #8 is one of my favorite short par 3's.

Maybe Hammy can chime in.  I think he plays there frequently when he is out for the Bohemian Grove summer encampment.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:37:44 PM »
As an aside, a course like this is one answer to the question "what course should not be cleared of trees?"

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Interesting.

I've played there many times, and I've never found it to be all that big of a deal.  These pictures don't change my opinion - though they are fun to look at.

I've always advised people who ask about Northwoods to make the trek to see it only if they REALLY must see everything MacKenzie ever did... and even then, don't expect all that much.

I gather you'd disagree with that Jonathan?  Because this to me is crazy talk:

This course has one of the most amazing feels to it I have ever experienced.  I had the same feeling at Northwood that I had at SFGC.  I'm Serious!  You realize you are in a truly special place.

Maybe living in CA for my whole life, huge redwoods aren't that big of a deal... I can see if one's never seen a redwood, Northwoods would be pretty neat.  But outside of that.. man the feel I got there was "uncared for muni" and I surely never got the feeling I was in a special place.  Maybe I've become too jaded.  I don't think so... most courses do get me pretty jazzed.  For whatever reason this one never has.

And I don't want to get all Mucci on you, but re this:

The course plays to a par 36 at 2,858 yds and is the epitome of what golf course architecture and GCA is all about.  This course had some remarkable bunkering to dictate lines of play, but has since been lost.  The mounding around greens and through fairways shows that bunkers were creatively placed to challenge the player to find the most suitable line to the green.  The Good Doctor's mark is all over this golf course

Well.. you talk about what the course WAS and what it MIGHT BE... not really what it is.  I found the Good Doctor's marks all over it BUT OBSCURED AND WIPED AWAY to be very frustrating, rather than any sort of inspiration.  I guess as a study piece for a real MacKenzie-phile or architecture nut this is interesting... but man didn't it piss you off as you played the course, especially since it would seemingly take so little to restore it and they seem to have zero interest in doing so?

I don't get celebrating this course.  It's not all that fun to play as is, and is frustrating in what it might be.

Man I've become a curmudgeon.  I don't like this Mucci role.  Tell me something righteous and hopeful to get me back to my cheery self, Jonathan! ;D

You do sure get around, btw.  Are there any courses left up here you've yet to play?   ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:59:33 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »
Different course, Tom.  Northwood without an 's'.  Agree that Northwoods is nothing special.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Different course, Tom.  Northwood without an 's'.  Agree that Northwoods is nothing special.

No Kevin, that's it.  There's only one up there in Monte Rio, near Guernville.  This is the course I am talking about and questioning the worth of.

TH

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
Well maybe its possible that I see the courses potential versus what is actually there.  But in all seriousness, I had the same feeling walking the fairways of SFGC.  The difference being that at SFGC the scale comes from the width of the fairways and playing corridors, whereas at Northwood the scale comes from the shear size of the surrounding Redwoods.  Again, these are just MY feelings and what I felt while walking the course.

I had a marvelous time, not only playing the course, but analyzing what was and wasn't there.  The old bunkers, the original sizes of the greens, things like that.  I just throughly enjoyed my time and think others would as well.

But you bring up a good point.  I am from Iowa, and Northwood is the furthest thing from anything in Heaven....I mean Iowa.  ;D  So maybe you just see trees as trees, I see them as the ever impressive Redwoods.  Nonetheless, I would have rather played 36 holes, at Northwood, then trucking all the way to Bodega, even on a crystal clear day.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:05:56 PM by Jonathan McCord »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 04:25:17 PM »
Jonathan:

Gotcha.  I think you are a little overimpressed by huge trees (or me underimpressed); and I am a little jaded about MacKenzie courses being butchered, as well as being way more interested in what's there than what's not.

I am going to continue to recommend this place only to MacKenzie-philes or architecture nutcases, though.  Us normal golfers don't tend to find much to enjoy there all that much.  I don't think I've ever disagreed with an assessment of a course more than I disagree with yours re this one... man your last few paragraphs have me really shaking my head. "One of the special places in west coast golf"???? Hoo-boy... did they pay you or something?

That's ok, it's fun to get excited about golf courses, particularly those that could be seen as hidden gems.  Just do understand it's now your fault if people go up there expecting greatness and find lots of big trees but not much else!

;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:45:03 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »

No Kevin, that's it.  There's only one up there in Monte Rio, near Guernville.  This is the course I am talking about and questioning the worth of.

TH

Uh, I guess my dry-ness was a bit too dry.   :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 04:41:06 PM »
Kevin - aha!  I get it now.  Silly typo by me.

Hey, I think BOTH courses are no big deal.  But then again I should also confess I don't think I've ever played either very sober.

;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
Jonathan:

I didn't give Northwood high marks in The Confidential Guide, for pretty much the same reasons that Tom Huckaby cites.  It looks like they've "restored" several bunkers since I was there fifteen years ago, I remember only a couple of them being sand on the entire course -- the eighth hole looks much more interesting than what I remember.

I agree it's cool to be among the redwoods, but I don't get that big a thrill over hitting 3-irons through them.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
Claustrophobics beware! :(

Never seen the course in person and the pictures are pretty but I don't see how they grow grass in the middle of that forest.  Also, while the bunkers and greens looked cool, hitting off the tee looked like hitting down a bowling alley, over and over and over......

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
More than a couple photos remind me of Vernon Macan's Royal Colwood course, in Victoria, British Columbia.

I think Colwood's a great course on the ground. And the big old trees there - many are unbelievably massive - are spectacular. However, they're overbearing; detracting from the golf in many ways.  
jeffmingay.com

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »
Claustrophobics beware! :(

Never seen the course in person and the pictures are pretty but I don't see how they grow grass in the middle of that forest.  Also, while the bunkers and greens looked cool, hitting off the tee looked like hitting down a bowling alley, over and over and over......

You don't get that feeling, generally, playing there.

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 09:40:52 PM »
I had visions of Pasatiempo #7.

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »
I'm sure this course is a fun little treat to deviate from the norm, but like both Toms mentioned, I didn't see anything to warrant a special trip.  I've played my fair share of tree lined fairways in the spokane area, but that does look more than a wee bit crowded in.

For you South Bay folks, I'm guessing Boulder Creek would be very similar to what is found there and a lot closer.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 12:53:55 AM »
Jonathan:

I didn't give Northwood high marks in The Confidential Guide, for pretty much the same reasons that Tom Huckaby cites.  It looks like they've "restored" several bunkers since I was there fifteen years ago, I remember only a couple of them being sand on the entire course -- the eighth hole looks much more interesting than what I remember.

I agree it's cool to be among the redwoods, but I don't get that big a thrill over hitting 3-irons through them.

I remember being not too impressed when I played in probably '89 or '90.  I'm glad to see some of the holes restored/changed.

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back