News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Sneddon

Walking ..... Encouraged!!!
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »
I wish more courses would do as Angel's Crossing is doing, in encouraging walking.  

From their website:

The Nudge
Sometimes we all need a little nudge to get or stay fit.  So if you need an excuse to get out for a good walk, we're happy to fill that roll.  As part of  special fitness program this summer offered through local health service providers we're proud to announce THE NUDGE.  The Nudge is a special 18 hole walking rate for those trying to get or stay fit.

18 Holes Monday through Thursday from 12:00 to 3:00 for just $35

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Kalen Braley

Re:Walking ..... Encouraged!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
Most of the courses I play already have this in place.

A flat fee to play the course...walking.  And then an extra fee to take a cart.  In this case what are the normal rates??  And does this include a cart?

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:54 PM »
Some of us need more than 18 holes! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »

As part of  special fitness program this summer offered through local health service providers we're proud to announce THE NUDGE.  The Nudge is a special 18 hole walking rate for those trying to get or stay fit.

This is great, but it speaks volumes to the sad state of affairs that golf has become for so many.

David Sneddon

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »

As part of  special fitness program this summer offered through local health service providers we're proud to announce THE NUDGE.  The Nudge is a special 18 hole walking rate for those trying to get or stay fit.

This is great, but it speaks volumes to the sad state of affairs that golf has become for so many.

Agreed, Lloyd.

David Sneddon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:37:07 PM »
Most of the courses I play already have this in place.

A flat fee to play the course...walking.  And then an extra fee to take a cart.  In this case what are the normal rates??  And does this include a cart?

Rates etc are available:

www.golfangelscrossing.com/

David Sneddon

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
Some of us need more than 18 holes! ;D

I was diagnosed with Diabetes, Type 2 on Jan 22 of this year.  Bit of a shock, I must say.

Weighed 214 on that date, now I'm at 192 with a goal of 180 by May.  Putting in 3 - 4 miles on the treadmill 3 or 4x a week, plus working out on some weight machines - principally abdominals to reduce the size of my gut.  Also a good diet, lots of veggies and much much smaller portions.

The upside is that although i always walked, usually with a motorized trolley, I've bought a carry bag and look forward to carrying again.  Plus I should be able to manage 36 a day a hell of lot easier than previously.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »
I don't mind riding when I'm playing a so-so course.  If it's at all possible, I avoid it on a well-designed course.  The walk is an essential part of my appreciation of the routing and features.  If you're just going from tee to ball to green (hopefully), there's a lot of sublety you can miss.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
Just an aside: though it'd be a long drive for me to get there, I've been wanting to visit and play Angel's Crossing since the first time I read about it here.  I'm sure it's been said many times before, but it seems to me that AC does so many things right, and is just about everything a public course should be. Jim Thompson should be very proud of it.

Peter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 03:08:25 PM »
2006 Guest Fees

18-Hole Guest Fee                                             9-Hole Guest Fee

$44 Monday thru Thursday                                $25 Monday thru Thursday

$49 Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Holidays          $25 Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Holidays

Carts are complimentary...Just like our coffee!

I have to say the offer is a paper tiger that I really don't understand.  Carts are complimentary at all other times and then you get a $9 break on clearly off times.   Give a $9 break everyday all day and I might buy the sincerity of the effort....until then I call foul.

Please note that this continues my ongoing attempt to abuse my friends to the same degree as my enemies...I think Angel's Crossing is a must play for every member of this board.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »
So if I walk in the morning to take advantage of the cool weather, I get the great opportunity to subsidize the cart ballers. No Thanks!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »
I think I have a better "nudge".

Golf $35
Privilege to damage the course and your health with a cart. $65.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »
Yeah this seems a bit contrived...

Why wouldn't they offer this all the time?

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »
Garland,
I've often wondered how effective such a strategy would be.
You'd discourage cart use, and those that did take carts would at least be providing revenue to subsidize the maintenance budget.
Additionally you'd have to maintain a MUCH smaller fleet of cars and bag drop service and could probably get by with less paving, so ultimately your costs would be lower.

The question is would the public come and pay to walk for almost (say 90%) of the cost of another facility that included carts.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 08:12:35 PM »
Yes Jeff, but then all us diehard GCA members would have Angel's Landing to ourselves.  ;D      >:(

I of course was being a bit tongue in cheek, but the cart users do not pay their fair share! The USGA says that almost all extra charges made for cart use does not make up for the damage they cause.

But then life isn't fair. I recycle and use a garbage can 1/2 the size of my neighbors. What price break do I get? $.50 per month!
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

Jim Thompson

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 08:33:27 PM »
Let me help put the nudge in context for everyone.  When I was with Angels Crossing we made a very deliberate effort to avoid as much of the moving target golf rate as possible.  I think the "regular" golf playbook would have been to charge $49 to walk and $69 to ride or more.  In effect the riding rate is the walking rate when you consider the course and its conditioning.  The Nudge was and I believe still is an attempt to do a couple of things: 1. It was promoted through a local health provider, major hospital, as part of an ongoing wellness program and 2. It was an opportunity for those so desperate for some kind of deal to motivate them to play.  In Michigan there are so many courses that couponing and discounting have become a normal part of business practice.  Comparing the Angels Crossing business model to the rest of the industry is really apples to kiwi.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

JT

Edit:  We also considerd the fact that we had to pay for carts regardless of their level of usage so added that cost across the board.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:34:43 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 08:09:45 AM »
When I was with Angels Crossing we made a very deliberate effort to avoid as much of the moving target golf rate as possible.  

Say it ain't so...If you are gone where you at?

Jim Thompson

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »
John,

Sad, but true.  I can assure you that your level of shock is a bit lower than mine.  Anyway, I am now working out of Grand Rapids and have the challenge of revitalizing the mebership at an old Donald Ross course.  I'm sure this is for the best and will be a good use of my skills.  I think it will be fun too.  I retain my membership at Angels and would continue to welcome the chance to get any of you out there.  I think it is what many on this site would like to see golf become as we move into the future.  Any more details will require a few cocktails or can be done via IM.

Cheers!

JT

Edit:  I have also pulled my "My Home Course" page and am in the process of rewriting it to give the reader a better idea of how / why the design and construction process took place.  When finished, I will submit it to the site for safe keeping rather than hosting it myself.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 10:47:09 AM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
Jim,
Are you at the Highlands? If so, I have a big pile of research for that course that you would appreciate. Unfortunately, few if any others there did and I had no one to leave it with.
To stay on topic, that is a great walking course and I do miss it for that.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Matt Dupre

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
My wife and I detoured down to Angels Crossing during our annual summer visit to my out-laws in Grand Rapids.  No one blinked when we asked to walk, and it was a blast.  Aside from the quality of the golf course, the green to tee distances were minimal, and the property itself is gorgeous.  Plus, it was easier to check out some of the nooks and crannies around the greens :)

At the other end of the spectrum, I thought the starter at Thousand Oaks in Grand Rapids was going to have a heart attack when we showed up at the first tee carrying, along with my two sons (10 and 13) who were also carrying.  I don't think he sees much of that...

Jim, If you're at the Highlands, let me know.  My brother-in-law is a member.  Hope I'll be able to meet up with you and Joe next summer.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 11:16:41 PM »
Just want to take a moment and thank everyone for the kind thoughts I've recieved via IM.  I am truly blessed to have so many people who offer this kind of support.  For those in the area and in the know, I am at the Highlands and look forward to seeing you all.  Thanks again!  It means so much to me!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
Carts are complimentary...Just like our coffee!

I have to say, I've always had a big issue with courses that make this statement.  The following statement sums it up perfectly...

Edit:  We also considerd the fact that we had to pay for carts regardless of their level of usage so added that cost across the board.

There's no such thing as a complimentary cart.  A more accurate description is an additional charge to those that enjoy walking.

This was always my biggest issue with Wintonbury Hills in CT.  The guys in the pro shop would even go as far as to explain that one of the reasons they set it up that way was because the course was such a difficult walking track.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Fortunately, that's about the only thing they didn't get right there.

I agree with Kavanaugh.  As long as the standard is no differential in charge and only offering select times where the discount is applicable, the subject of this thread is a bit off base.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:20:10 AM by Tim Bert »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
The solution, as I have been saying, is obvious. Build more mountain courses, so you haven't wasted your money buying all those carts!  ;)

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back