News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Brancaster
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »
Donal - I posted a few as well from when I played last year, but alas I'm no photographer and my batteries went
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39885.0/

Jamie:

Too bad, but those pictures were good and it looks like you got a nice day for it.

Incidentally, how do people manage to take so many pictures during a round and avoid the dreaded "battery depleted" nightmare? Do any of you guys carry an extra battery? Can you imagine looking forward to your first round on a very special course (e.g. TOC) and suffering the agony of running out of battery mid-way through the round?

Jamie Barber

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Maybe although into the east wind I didn't feel like I had any options OTHER than treat it as a par5, I just couldn't see how I could get the ball on in GIR as a par4.

For me the 3rd and 9th are very different holes, although both dog leg. The 3rd has more elevation and you play up to the green. The 9th plays like "island" golf, with the tee, fairway and green being on 3 separate "islands", but there is little elevation change.

Although the 9th is something of the signature hole of the course, it wasn't really my cup of tea exactly (although I made a balls-up both rounds so perhaps that's why).

Donal - I took spare batteries, and left them in the glovebox! D'oh!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
I can't find anything to back it up, but I have a feeling that they lost some holes to erosion at the far end of the course which might explain the different numbering of the 4th and the change in length of the 9th.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
There was definitely some land lost on the 1st (the drive used to be over a bunker which no longer exists). What do you mean by "numbering of the 4th and the change in length of the 9th."? Did they used to be different?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »
I missed this thread the first time around.  One more region of England that merits a visit, it seems.

Tony,
Jet seemed to be having a good time.  Did he get charged a guest fee?  Still waiting to see that photo of him at TOC.

Jud_T

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »
Tony,

Thanx for the pix! Definitely on my short list of must plays!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
Tony - Jet seems to contain a bit of kangaroo. With those ears he doesn't miss his master's call very often, does he?

You can see where Pete Dye has gotten some of his inspiration in this course. One has to make a special effort to visit this course as it is not anywhere near the usual suspects. It's definitely on my short list.

Thanks Tony!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »
Tony thanks for the pictures. I have long dreamed of playing Brancaster and its delightful neighbor.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:29 AM »
Brancaster is charming and unique, a must for any GCA'er.

Tony you say revetting must be cheaper, definately not. Old railway sleepers can be purchased for around £50 each and will last decades unlike riveting at 8-10 years.

Finally RWN can field a full match team comprising entirely of Lords of the Realm. It must vie with Swinley Forest for the title of most connected membership.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back