News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

British Open Awards Ceremony
« on: July 22, 2019, 09:06:39 AM »
Did anyone else yesterday notice the awards ceremony was a bit different than in past years? The R & A has always as long as I can remember recognized not just the Champion Golfer of The Year but also the winner of the Silver Medal (the runner-up) and the low amateur. Since no amateur made the cut there was no low am to recognize but what about Tommy Fleetwood who won the Silver Medal?  No mention whatsoever. Thought that was sort of strange.
-John

Mark Pearce

Re: British Open Awards Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:43:35 AM »
Understand that this may have been due to the absence of Fleetwood, who was pretty gutted with his 74.  Whatever the reason, an oddity that struck me, too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:46:05 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:02:52 AM »
Ehm, the silver medal isn’t awarded to the runner-up. It’s what the low amateur receives.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Blain

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
Ehm, the silver medal isn’t awarded to the runner-up. It’s what the low amateur receives.
F.
Marty- You are correct, my mistake. The runner-up actually receives a silver salvar (tray). I knew it was something silver :)
-John

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
F.
Marty- You are correct, my mistake. The runner-up actually receives a silver salvar (tray). I knew it was something silver :)
-John

No worries, Long John!  ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
Understand that this may have been due to the absence of Fleetwood, who was pretty gutted with his 74.  Whatever the reason, an oddity that struck me, too.

So does he still get the Silver Salver?  Or is this one of those "must be present to win" kind of deals?

Inquiring minds want to know. 

Do they just FedEx it to you?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

James Reader

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
F.
-John

Silver quaich, if I remember right.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 01:36:42 AM »
No "Turboe"!

The Silver Medal goes to the amateur winner of the day and as there were no amateurs making the cut it becomes a non-issue ...so to speak!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:24 AM »
No "Turboe"!

The Silver Medal goes to the amateur winner of the day and as there were no amateurs making the cut it becomes a non-issue ...so to speak!

Cheers Colin

Where did "Turboe" mention "Silver Medal" ?

Cheers Brian

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 03:07:43 AM »
THere are normally three presentations.  Silver Medal (low am), runner up and champion golfer of the year.  On Sunday there was no low am and the runner up was not presented.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 03:47:52 AM »
Ah yes!

Sorry "Turboe"and Brian[size=78%].[/size]

I misinterpreted what "Turboe" wrote thinking he was alluding to the Silver Medal. Duh!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Anthony Butler

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
THere are normally three presentations.  Silver Medal (low am), runner up and champion golfer of the year.  On Sunday there was no low am and the runner up was not presented.

Since they moved up start times in anticipation of bad weather, I figured they cut the length of the presentation ceremony due to same.

With no amateur making the cut, that plan was much easier to execute.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:01:37 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 11:09:06 AM »
It looked like Tommy F wanted no part of the presentation ceremony.  Even the NBC crew claimed they had a helluva time chasing him down for a post round interview.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
^Still doesn't explain why he wasn't recognized at runner-up. On property, off property, upset or not, indisposed or...?After all, he DID do the interview.I was awaiting his name as well. Wasn't aware that no am made the cut.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 05:56:37 PM »
One of the better parts of the ceremony is the R&A having the champion take his hat off for all the photos with the Claret Jug - thus not turning it into an advertisement.
It's a pity they aren't so insistent with the manufacturers and their golf ball/frying pan drivers.

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:10 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to search the web and could not find anything. Even if gutted, in years to come it would be memorable to have taken part. It might be different if it was a last hole loss. The outcome was pretty clear for the last few holes.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 03:10:03 AM »
I really hope this wasn’t because he was gutted. That would be very poor form from one of my favourite players.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back