News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T.J. Sturges

Golf's most beloved electrician
« on: August 04, 2006, 02:57:02 PM »
Tommy,

I spent last weekend in Pinehurst with Ran and he told me you had posted something that said GCA.com would be better off if I started posting again.  I never found the thread, but I wanted you to know that your comments made my day.  I haven't posted in many months, and I'm certain GCA will be fine with or without me, but I will make an effort to jump back on this horse.  

Beating Ran in a golf match no longer represents the challenge for me it once did, so perhaps I can find that missing challenge within this cyber golf den.  Thanks for inviting me back.

Cheers,

Ted

Adam Clayman

Re:Golf's most beloved electrician
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 03:44:29 PM »
Ted, Great to have you back posting.
 I read your account on the other thread about the trouncing. Do you know that means you would easily handle Pat Mucci, by proxy?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:50:37 PM »
Ted -

Welcome.

Yes, I had heard from Pat and others that Ran was not much of a player.

Bob

brad_miller

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »
"Yes, I had heard from Pat and others that Ran was not much of a player."

How untrue. Ran is a stick and a bulldog of a competitor, he will use every trick in the book for advantage, including begging for too many strokes!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:52:06 PM »
"Yes, I had heard from Pat and others that Ran was not much of a player."

How untrue. Ran is a stick and a bulldog of a competitor, he will use every trick in the book for advantage, including begging for too many strokes!

Brad - thank you.  I was hoping someone would say that.

How he lives with himself after the insane number of strokes he asks for has always been a mystery to me.  Is there no such thing as a hollow victory in his world?

TH

ps - hello Ted - you pre-date me here, which is hard to believe given I've now made about 15,000 posts - and I always thought you were a fictitious, legendary figure.  I'm actually sort of disappointed to see you really do exist.   ;D ;D

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
Teddy- good to hear fm you,  man
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:56:48 PM »
Any anyone who understands and appreciates Yeaman's like you, is welcomed and needed on this site.

I too have heard, but not seen, that Ran's game is failing.  Maybe I should offer to pay his plane fare to the left coast.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

brad_miller

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
Lynn, you witnessed one of Ran's finer moments out at Riveria a few years ago. His game has gone south since then, thus his flirtation with Hickories and the relentless begging for additional strokes. He has even gone so far as to negotiate the number of strokes then request that he gets to pick the holes to use them as the match plays out!   :)

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »
Having been a witness to the recent match between GMBF and GMBE at the recent Kings Putter, I can only say that their games are on a pretty equal level.  Where that level is, I'm still not allowed to say as I do enjoy posting here. ;)

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 09:12:49 PM »
Brad,

How the hell are you my friend???  But...please...PLEASE, don't come to Ran's defense.  Witnessing the piling on is much more fun!!!

"I didn't quit golf...golf quit me."   -REM  III upon his adoption of hickories as his primary golf implement (circa 2005).

Tommy,  Where are you man???

TS

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 09:20:31 PM »
It was an ugly day that is for sure, but I will remind you who also came out victorious! Ted, what is it that makes beating Ran, feel so good?

Ted Sturges, Welcome back! (Access Version)
(Sung to the tune of the theme song for Welcome Back Kotter)

Welcome back,
Self-Realization was your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you used to laugh about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
Half of them are all access hounds.....

Who'd have thought they'd need ya (Who'd have thought they'd need ya)
Until they wanted on Yeaman's Hall you see-a! (Until they want on Yeaman's Hall you see-a!)

They'll bug you a lot cause because they want a foursome spot, welcome back,

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back......

Ted, It is truely a great day to see you post. Your knowledge puts most here to shame. That thread where I said that was here, post second from bottom:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=24266

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:20:53 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 09:31:22 PM »
Hi'ya Ted, it is nice to see you back in the cyberparlor.  

But, now that folks are speculating about missing GCA.com posters, and Dan Wexler hasn't written a research book yet inorder to discover where they have all drifted off to, I gotta ask the treehouse this question...

Has anyone ever actually seen Ted Sturges and the elusive Dr. Katz standing in the same room together?  Wouldn't it be curious if Dr. Katz comes out of the woodwork, just as Mr. Sturges has reappeared? :o

Ah yes the good old days... when therapy and analysis were freely offered on GCA.com.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »
Tommy,

Your song is too much!  

If Dr. Katz does come out of the woodwork, many will be convinced that he is indeed my alterego.

And Tommy...seeing all this piling on upon Golf's Most Beloved Figure is beyond my wildest expectations of returning to this site.  Had I known this Ran-bash-fest would have been the result, I would have returned long ago.

I can't match you in creative song lyrics, but I will offer the following poem as a homecoming gift to you and the original "GCA Ratpack" (term coined by Bruce Hepner for our original gang of diehard posters).

There once was a man from Pine-hurst
His golf game is now among the worst...
Yet still he marches proud,
"This is an outrage!" he cries outloud;
His legendary bubble sadly has burst.

-TS
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:19:10 PM by Ted Sturges »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 03:56:18 AM »
Ted,
You forgot to mention Robert Downey Jr. who I heard is out there in "Scoot"-land with Bruce., trying to get away from the evilness of Lotusland.... (Hollywood)

Little does he (RDJ) know that merry band is just is one step away from a 12-Step program themselves!

This is what Ran was heard singing shortly after his defeat in the desert. (Sung to the Flock of Seagull's tune, "I Ran")

....And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldnt get away.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
Ted, You must be the finest of men if Dr. Katz is your alter ego. I look forward to meeting you very soon.

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 12:18:21 PM »
Looks like the facetious tone of my post was not sufficiently clear. I will try to do better next time. ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 03:25:46 PM by BCrosby »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »
Bob,
If I went along with Ran being a really bad golfer, then I would finally have to admit to myself after just barely beating him in sudden death on Stone Eagle's 19th hole, that I am too a really bad golfer and frankly, I don't think I'm just not ready for that.

(with these dreams and delusions of the citizens of St. Andrews hoisting me up on to their shoulders and carrying me to my winning putt on the 18th hole of the famed Old Gal, and then embracing that silver jug filled with claret kissing it as if it was Eva Green)

On second thought, yes do better next time and do it just as facetiously. I need the reality check.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:47:50 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »
I have nothing to add to this thread, I just want to post again so that this stays on the front page of the discussion board.  It would be a supreme tragedy if, upon his return to the USA, Golf's Most Beloved Figure did not find this topic front and center.

TS

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 11:51:55 PM »
Oh trust me, he will......

T_MacWood

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 12:09:56 AM »
I really miss Ted Sturges too. What about Geoff Shackelford and David Eger. I used to enjoy the Morrissett brothers too.....does anyone remember them? What about man-about-town George Blunt. Curious JJ contributed to the greater good. I also miss By and Gib P. Our Canadian friends (Mingay, Andrews, Dewar, et al) must be playing more than posting, which is healthy IMO. Sandy Barrens was a voice in the wilderness. My friend JP Morgan. God bless Mark Brown. There are too many to mention.

On the other hand I think it is healthy for the regulars (who dominate) to take an extended leave from time to time to alow the newcomers to make their own impact.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 12:52:59 AM »
Tom,
 I completely agree.

If your still up, give me a call. I've got some information I think you might find interesting.

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
Golf's Most Beloved Figure is safely back in the country (spoke to him last night).  He's still on holiday and won't gain internet access until tomorrow.  We all look forward to his thoughtful reply to questions posed in this thread.

TS

ward peyronnin

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 04:01:21 PM »
Ted is indeed back in more ways that one. We even did some golf travel last week.

Could it be that Ran's game started going south from an identity crisis? I had always referred to his eminence as "golf's most loved figure" but now i find that even Ran has recently acceeded to add the revisionist "be-" to the equation? Of course a loved figure casts a wider and more provocative net then a beloved figure so now that Ran has a family...... Perhaps we can start a Ran lesson fund.

I have a feeling Dr Katz will be back too as i had an actual sighting of him this weekend and he professed to a certain lack of challenge currently. Trying to remember the welcome back Kotter tune is enough of one for this poor respondent.

Best
Ward P

Hi Tommy!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ward peyronnin

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
I promised Ted i would try to keep this thread on page 1. Perhaps we could pair Tom Huckaby with Ran in a fourball match against all comers. Who knows ; perhaps the Medusa swing exposure might sit with Ran and enable the hickory/cavity backed transition.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Egan

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 08:30:59 PM »
To Mr. Sturges, Mr. Morrissett, Mr. Naccarato, Mr. Paul, Barney, other of you WCFV's (Wily, Cagey, F-----g Veterans), and any of these new Hemingways I've been reading during my extended lurking phase:

Observations:

1.  Lurking without posting is dispicable but somewhat amusing, much like hands-free mastrubation.  It can be instructive but too much of it dulls one's more important skills.

2.  The quality of the posts has declined overall, due mainly to the reduced contributions of such geniuses as Tom Paul, Ran Morrissett, Tommy Naccarato, Lynn Shackelford, David Eger and the absence of Ted Sturges.  The disappearance of John Morrissett is especially distressing as his contributions are infinitely more profound than his brother's.

3.  The decline in quality of the posts is somewhat offset by a seemingly reduced word count by Matt Ward.  Every day without reading Matt adds 8 hours to one's life.  The often wrong but never uncertain Pat Mucci seems to have eased off on his activity, as well.  Be still my heart.  Maybe the toxicity of the water in New Jersey contributes to the bellicosity of these two.  Separated at birth?

4.  A positive development in the past couple of years has been the judicious and creative use of the "O.T." posts.  I believe most of have a broad enough love of golf to take us beyond just the grass and hills and sand and trees.

5.  I don't recall that there was much criticism of the USGA in the early GCA years; certainly nothing compared to the current situation.  When the increase in negativity began, I was distressed -- blasphemy against the good guys.  Over the past few years, especially on the point of the USGA cowardice in the I & B area, my feelings have done a full 180.  PLEASE STOP CONTRIBUTING TO THE DESTRUCTION OF THE GAME WE LOVE EVERY BIT AS MUCH AS YOU!!!!  When the USGA had an operating budget of about $5 million, the Executive Committee had the cojones to take on the issue with Karsten.  Whether they were right or wrong, at least they took a principaled position and stood tall.  Now, with ten or more times the financial security of previous years, they cower behind Grandma's skirts every time Uihline or some other Bozo clears his throat.  DISGUSTING!!!

6.  Finally, my extensive lurking has led me to several hypothases regarding the mental health of various categories of GCA posters.  I'm developing a marketing plan for my services.  You will hear more of this when I'm ready to share it.  There will be professional discounts for posters pro rated by your volume of posting and date of membership.

All in all, the site is still worth visiting.  Posting is more fun than lurking.  A major positive is the reduction in the volume of anonymous posts.  Posting under other people's name still happens from time to time -- witness many of the frantic "Mucci" posts.  Overall, though, it's good to be back with friends (and potential patients) who have common interests.  You'll be hearing more.

Dr. Katz

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back