News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Donald Ross Discovery in New Hampshire
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:09:55 PM »
Was talking to my father in law this weekend regarding the Mike Nuzzo thread on designing 'private' courses. He tells me there is an abandoned Donald Ross 9 hole course on an estate near Peterborough, New Hampshire. I guess the owner was either a relative or close friend of the Tufts family. Apparently the land hasn't changed that much and there are exisiting photos of the course. Search parties have been dispatched...

If I can locate the photos and I am able to scan and post them, I will go out to the property when the weather improves and take some photos from the position of the old tees. It will be as close as you can get to watching the development of a Ross course–except in reverse.

In the meantime does anyone know anything about this course?
Next!

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Donald Ross Discovery in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
Bump

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
July 9, 1932 Boston Globe -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
That’s awesome Sven! Great find.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Based on the location given in the article Mike linked to, it appears that the Currier course has long been NLE.  Although there is a 9 holer in Peterborough, its site doesn't match up with the article.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »

Looks like the homestead in the 18th green picture in the article still exists.

On google maps, it looks to be near the junction of Hunt and Currier roads a few miles north of Peterborough.  There's a big field with a pond next to the buildings which surely was part of the course, but nothing else remains when looking at the aerial.  Tough to imagine golf holes around/over the river as it looks very marshy, but it worked somehow!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
It's a bit inconclusive, but Historic Aerials has an aerial shot of the area from 1947 that appears to show what looks like hole corridors to the north and west of the home.

It's a bit hard to make out actual holes, but they may be there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back