News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Let's say Ran got a GCA interview with Tiger...
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »
I love to watch Tiger Woods play golf, and I've often wondered - if I ever got the chance - what would I ask him? How would I ask something interesting, that wouldn't be the same old crap that everyone has asked a million times.

I think I'd ask him what he thinks of the term "Tiger-proofing" as it relates to the design and re-design of golf courses, and what effect he thinks that this effort has had on golf courses - good and bad.

So let's say Ran got an interview with Tiger. What GCA-related questions would you like to ask him? What would we most like to know about the #1 player in the world's perspective on golf courses and golf course design?

Tim Bert

Re:Let's say Ran got a GCA interview with Tiger...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »
I'd love to hear his opinion on what design changes he thinks would put him at the most risk of coming back to the pack... of course, why would he share that?

I'd also like to know what courses in the top 50 in the world he has played that have not been associated with tournament golf, and which ones he enjoys the most (and why.)

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:24:13 PM »
I'd ask Tiger if someone were to design a golf course that would lessen his chances and favor the field, what sort of course design would it be.  I can't imagine with his short game what could be done, but it would be interesting to hear his take on this.

I'd also ask him if he would join a gathering of movers and shakers (USGA, PGA, manufacturers, etc) in golf to see what could be done to reign in the ball (more spin and/or less distance) and restore some order to the game.  I don't think reigning in the ball would hurt him, it might even separate him more from the field.  

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »
I like your thinking, Tim  ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »
Wayne, I think you and I are on the same page.

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
Doh!  How many consecutive posts can Wayne and I pull off simultaneously saying essentially the same thing.

We made it to two.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 01:15:50 PM »
I'd like to know if he thinks there will be a little Tiger cub/cubette soon, and if so, will he follow his Dad's model of introducing the tyke to the game.

Oh, GCA related... If he were to go out and play solitary, carry his bag, and just play for fun, name 5 courses he would do that on.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul Payne

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »
I'd like to ask him as a player what a has been asked a million times already on this site, and that is;

Can he envision a course that would play under 7200 yards which would still pose a great challenge to the long hitters yet still allow them to hit their drivers often enough to make the tournament exciting for them and the viewer?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 03:50:28 PM »
I'd ask Tiger if someone were to design a golf course that would lessen his chances and favor the field, what sort of course design would it be.  I can't imagine with his short game what could be done, but it would be interesting to hear his take on this.

I'd also ask him if he would join a gathering of movers and shakers (USGA, PGA, manufacturers, etc) in golf to see what could be done to reign in the ball (more spin and/or less distance) and restore some order to the game.  I don't think reigning in the ball would hurt him, it might even separate him more from the field.  

Wayne,
You probably saw this, but Tiger recently talked about capping club loft at less that 60 degrees; 56 was his proposed limit, I believe.  This is one of the few suggestions I've seen that would clearly penalize the better player more than the high handicappers.  I don't think he talked about the ball, but I agree with you that it would probably separate him even more.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 05:43:38 PM »
Thanks, A.G. I seem to recall he did say something about banning a wedge beyond 56 degrees.  I use a 52 and a 60 degree wedge.  What was his point for trying to get that effort started?  If the ball is reigned in, there'd be less opportunities to use a 60 degree wedge.  By the way, I love the 60 for greenside bunkers and shots 100 yards and in.  I need to get a different bounce for firmer fairways.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:26:28 AM »
A.G.,

In the same interview he talked about limiting loft to 56*, he also talked about mandating that the ball spin more, to fix length and straightness issues.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

peter_p

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »
Tiger - In twenty years you'll be eligible for the Champions Tour. Have you set any goals about how many of their majors you'd like to win?

You are one of the major forces behind the First Tee Foundation. Are these potential votes for you in the future?

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 04:27:34 AM »
The first question I would ask is if he wants a beer over a game of pool.

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 04:56:06 AM »
I heard say that St Andrews is one of his favourite courses and that he loves links courses. He says how they make you play lots of different types of shots and give greater options and that it is a shame that the Pros don't play enough of them.
Why then doesn't he make a point of playing the Dunhill Links tournament?
Are his hands tied by the sponsor of the alternative US tournament at the time?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Thanks, A.G. I seem to recall he did say something about banning a wedge beyond 56 degrees.  I use a 52 and a 60 degree wedge.  What was his point for trying to get that effort started?  If the ball is reigned in, there'd be less opportunities to use a 60 degree wedge.  By the way, I love the 60 for greenside bunkers and shots 100 yards and in.  I need to get a different bounce for firmer fairways.

I think his idea is that the 60 degree wedge allows recovery for better players to such an extent that missing fairways and greens isn't penalized nearly as much as it should be.  That combined with spin rate adjustments is about as rational a set of suggestions as I've heard.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 10:47:16 AM »
I'd ask if Elin's twin is available.

Tiger says that he enjoys courses that force the player to work the ball, and notes that a lot of players on Tour don't seem to have that ability the way they used to.  Are there any courses has he played that force the player to work the ball, that would also provide a Tour-level test?  And what courses on Tour right now best fit this description?

Also, off the record, what are the best and worst Tour courses both in his opinion and general player consensus?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:53:27 AM by JAL »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 10:57:18 AM »
Maybe his general opion about if moving away from a highly geometric style or any style can be attributed to the influence of the A&C movement?

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back