News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Sleeman

Monterey Golf Honeymoon - Part Two: CPC New
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26

Another slightly overcast morning that quickly gave way to sunny skies and warming temperatures.  We couldn't have asked for a better day for CPC, though *any* day in that sacred setting would be perfect.

What a beautiful set of par three's, beginning with this at the 3rd.  The club itself has done extensive work to restore their bunkers in recent years, and it shows.

You can't help but feel at least a little like you're in Augusta when you climb the dogleg-left, par five 5th - the first of two great shortish back-to-back par fives.  This green is at the very top of the course if I'm not mistaken, and the furthest away from the ocean.

Anna at the tee of the semi-blind 8th, a sharp dogleg-right clinging to the side of the dunes.  That's our caddie, Louie McIntyre, who was extremely helpful and fun and made the day that much more unforgettable. 

A look around the dogleg toward the green - at this point you're back in view of the ocean.  The more I reflect on it, the more I realize how much I'd forgotten about the back nine as we made our way through the pines and dunes on the front.  I wondered beforehand how difficult it would be to keep my mind on the hole we were on rather than let it stray too far ahead to the famous shoreline finish.  All I'd heard before our visit to CPC was pretty much focused on the back nine, but I could play nothing but the front nine here over and over for the rest of my life and be plenty happy.

This was taken from the same spot as the previous photo, but in nearly the complete opposite direction, at the 9th green.  I was educated immediately on the strategic options and risks that came with overly aggressive play there.

Anna and I on the tee at the 9th, with the ocean and the beautifully restored bunkers of the 13th behind us.

The group standing on the tee of the 14th really brings out the grand scale of the greenside bunkers at the 13th.  With the wind usually coming out of the right and into your face, it's extremely tempting to throw your approach out over the less-menacing bunkers to the right and hope that the wind takes it back.  As I would discover, that sometimes doesn't work.

The tee at the 14th, and the beginning of the oceanside finish.  The tree pictured in my previous post is in the right side of the fairway here.  But, as Anna would find out...

...the tree on the left side of the fairway is equally beautiful and challenging. 

Walking along the left side of the par three 15th, one of the most beautiful settings on earth.

With all the scenery to take in, the 15th can quietly wreak havoc on your score.  This shot of Anna chipping onto the green reveals just how narrow that front finger is.

This one's going on the wall.

Anna's 3rd.  Her tee shot went onto the 17th fairway and left our caddie, who had 29 years of experience at the club, at a loss for a yardage.  It was surprising to me just how loud the ocean is, and this was on a fairly calm day.

And when there is a lull in the sound of waves crashing on the rocks, these guys more than make up for it.

Anna's tee shot on the 17th.  We were advised to play left of the famous giant Cypress in the middle of the fairway, but we both missed our shots directly behind it, which left some serious decision-making.

The 18th, which, after all the negative things I'd heard about it in the past, was a pleasant surprise to me.  I've played far worse holes, and although this one fails to match the grandeur of its preceding few, it is a solid test of ball-striking and demands you get your head back into the game and away from the majestic scenery around you.

I took this photo a few days later.  Our caddie explained to us that MacKenzie had at one point wanted to use this rocky island as the back tee for the 18th, with a suspension bridge connecting it to the rest of the course.  I'm not sure what the rest of the story is, but it was the first I'd heard of it.

Olympic Club is next...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:04:43 PM by Brian_Sleeman »

Andy Troeger

Re:Monterey Golf Honeymoon - Part Two: CPC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:39:24 PM »
Brian,
  Looks like you had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »
Brian, I hope you get to go back there on say your 25th anniversary, and take those same photos with Anna. 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:56:20 PM »
That is absolutely beautiful!

Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations!!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 04:56:38 PM »
Congratulations!! My god, those are some beautiful pictures.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »
Brian,

Wonderful to see you made it to CPC.  

I'm not sure how it compared to the McCartney concert but it seems to have been a very, very good year for you.

Congratulations!
Mike

Paul Payne

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 10:43:35 AM »
WOW,

You are a fortunate man. The golf course looked pretty nice too. I would give might right arm to play CPC one day. Those are some outstanding photos.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »
Terrific pictures, very informative narrative.  I can only agree with Mr Daley's wish that you get back there for your 25th Anniversary, and your 50th as well!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »
Thanks all, it was a memorable day.  As I've mentioned in some of the other posts, I've got a few more photos I'll put online a little later if there's some interest.

Mike: You're right - Anna and I were blessed with a great year, from Paul McCartney to some great golf.  I should mention our first dance was to Paul's own "When I'm 64."  

Ed Tilley

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:06:36 AM »
Brian,

Great photos and congratulations. I went to Pebble Beach on my honeymoon in 1999. Beautiful place. Also, 'Here there and everywhere' by Macca was our 'first song' at our wedding. Two questions:

1. How did you get on CPC?

2. How on earth do you dance to 'When I'm 64'?

Ed

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:28 AM »
Brian -

Great shots and a great day to boot. The shot of you and Anna will look great at The Marquette Club.
Mr Hurricane

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:54:33 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Ed: Here, There, & Everywhere appeared later on in our reception music, as did several other Beatle songs and cuts from Van Morrison, Sinatra, and all our other favorites.  No polkas or chicken dances!

We did take one dance lesson a month or so beforehand, something called the Lindey Hop which we ended up modifying to suit the music.  That one dance got a standing ovation (and the rest of the night was improvised and got laughs)...it's fun but it's a good thing the song isn't more than a few minutes.

As for CPC, all I can really say is that I was extremely lucky - I had no expectations and I was very, very fortunate with some professional connections.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back