News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Is there a Mike Strantz book?
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »
I was just re-reading the September '05 GD article on the late Mike Strantz and was admiring the painting on pages 172 and 173.  Does anyone know of a book of Mike's paintings and drawings?  If there was one, I am sure that I would have seen mention of it here.  I think that I could look at and study that painting for a long time and would love to see more.  If there isn't a book that would be a great one to create.  

Mark_Fine

Re:Is there a Mike Strantz book?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:34:55 PM »
Brock,
I would buy it in a heartbeat if there were but I don't think there is one.  Forrest Richardson and I did what we believe was one of the last interviews that Mike did and included a number of his thoughts on design and on golf hazards in our just published book.  He was one of my favorite modern designers and I always sought out his courses.  
Mark
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:35:29 PM by Mark_Fine »

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »
A book showing the sketches that he did, and the results that followed on site would be absolutely fabulous!

I would literally run to get my copy at the store!

Someone out there must have access to all these drawings.... Proceeds from this book could go back to his family or go to cancer research.  This would surely be a bestseller... or at least in our field!
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Brock Peyer

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 10:05:06 PM »
Yannick, that is exactly what I was thinking, proceeds could either benefit his family or go to cancer research.  I think that it would be some incredible content and fascinating sketches and paintings.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:23:09 PM »
Anything that emanates from the Estate of Mike Strantz should go to his family... not to cancer research. He was not a wealthy man and I am sure his wife could use the money.

Bob

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 01:23:52 PM »
What a wonderful idea for a good cause; I'd buy copies of that book in a heartbeat.  Any chance anyone here can pass this idea along to someone who could see if it is feasible?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:38:25 PM »
AG....I have and its maybe a good maybe....still trying to determine if enough of the record exists.

not sure of how many of the 'working drawings' [no pun] survived the cab of a dozer....he really had a different way of conveying his ideas to the people who built them.

Forrest Fezler was his right arm for most of his courses and I passed along the idea....maybe it might take wings.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 09:01:16 PM »
Paul,
That would be wonderful; I'd like to think it could be done and would help the family.  Don't know how I could help, but let me know if I can.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 09:42:01 PM »
Right page drawings, left page photos would be great
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

paul cowley

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 10:07:13 PM »
Cary are you by any chance left handed or do you read japanese?  :)

Keith Williams

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 10:11:05 PM »
Cary,

I agree.  Tragically, and unfortunately, the list of courses crafted by Mr. Strantz will remain relatively short forever.  This, however, does lend itself to the possibility of a book that could encompass all of Mike's work with narratives about each course (hint - see Ran's reviews), insight into the design process, and of course photos and as many as possible of Mike's artistic sketches.  Toss in some plan view hole renderings and course routings and the product would be absolutely complete.

I feel confident in stating that any book published highlighting Mike's work would be an instant classic and a true must have for any fan of golf courses - and not just the hard core GCA crowd.  Not to mention it could serve as a monument in illustrating the blending of art and strategy in golf design.

Keith.

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 10:16:54 PM »
Yo...anyone with interest, time and money who might want to advance this to the next level, I am just a conduit in waiting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back