News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Castlerock in Ireland
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:51:25 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on Castlerock in Northern Ireland? Apparently has some Colt history, so I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth a visit. If not, what would one prefer to play in the area (other than Portrush)?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

David_Tepper

Re:Castlerock in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:17:40 PM »
Tom Huckaby is THE authority on Castlerock. I am sure you will hear from him here.

I played Castlerock as part of the Bushmill's Causeway Coast tournament in 1994. It was a pretty rugged day weather-wise, but I thought the course was pretty good. As I recall, the front nine was the more inland territory and the back nine was routed thru the oceanside dunes.

I would also recommend Portstewart and the Valley Course at Portrush, which were also part of the tournament. The front nine at Portstewart is especially good. The Valley Course (the #2 course at Portrush) was a pleasant surprise and is worth playing.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:26:49 AM »
Completely agree with David.  Portstewart and Castlerock are easy same day venues.  There are parts of each course where you can look over to the other.  I thought the outward half of Portstewart was as good as it gets in Ireland.  I'll be there next month to play it for a third time.  It's on my personal Irish "rota".

Portsalon and the Ballyliffin pair are also possible day ventures if you are staging out of Bushmills and the Portrush area (take the ferry - it cuts off some driving time).

JC

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 07:28:05 AM »
I played it a few years ago Robert. My main recollection is not so much the course as some fairly stern locals in the clubhouse. You felt if you said the wrong thing you might just end up becoming another victim of the troubles. ;)

I don't have a very strong recollection of the course; I would place it as a middling second division course. Authentic links and good enough, but not memorable. I would advise you play Ballyliffin instead - both courses, as I recall, are better than Castlerock.

In terms of distance, we managed to play Ballyliffin one morning, teeing off around 8am, had a snack for lunch and drove over to Portrush (there is a short ferry trip en route) and made a 4pm tee-off time quite comfortably.

I seem to be in a minority in not remembering PortStewart that well. Maybe you should listen to David on that one. I have not played the Valley course at Portrush, but I think it is one that Tom Doak speaks well of. Certainly you see some good looking holes from the main links.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:47:44 AM »
Thanks, David.  Oh, I am AN authority on the club, perhaps the best who frequents this forum, but in the end I am just a Yank with a cousin who's a member.  My cousin would be the great authority on the place... he loves it so much that when his work contract ended, he couldn't bear to leave... he's now a permanent resident of Northern Ireland.

And Philip, your words surprise and sadden me as I have NEVER been to a more welcoming club than Castlerock.  I have to believe you caught some of the members on a bad day - the losers of matches crying in their beer, the winners having gone elsewhere.  Oh, perhaps it is because I went there with my gregarious cousin, but man I just can't imagine Castlerock being any other way besides warm and welcoming and friendly.

As for the course, if it weren't right there in proximity to Portrush and Portstewart we'd all be singing its praises.  Oh, those two are superior I guess; but Castlerock is a gem in and of itself and I continue to believe it's well worth playing.  I have to disagree with Phillip's assessment:  it is far better than "middling second division."  Try it, you will like it.  Note I too played both Ballyliffin courses; my cousin is a member at both places.  His take is one I agree with:  Ballyliffin is wonderful, but Castlerock is home.

In the end, all of the courses up there are worth playing and in a perfect world one could spend several weeks up there and not tire of any of them.  Portstewart is wonderful, with the front nine being among the best nines in all of Ireland if not the world... the back nine is just a bit lackluster but is not bad by any means.  I have not played the Valley course at Portrush but it sure looks cool... and obviously the Dunluce is world class.  Both courses at Ballyliffen are well worth playing - and you want to talk about a welcoming club?  I felt like family there also....

But I know the world is not perfect and we have to make our choices.  I'd say if one only has a day, or two, err on the side of playing Portush Dunluce and Portstewart for sure.  But if time is available - even just a free afternoon - than Castlerock should not be missed.

Robert, if you do decide to go to Castlerock, let me know.  My cousin will show you around for sure and if there's one thing I can guarantee, it's that he will show you a good time.  To say he's a great guy is the understatement of the year.  He also owns a B&B there, run by his daughter... again I highly recommend that for lodging.  Send me an email as you make plans and I'll make sure you get royal treatment.

TH
huckaby@yahoo-inc.com

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 01:20:39 PM »
Huck - I feel like a curmudgeon in the face of such unbridled enthusiasm. ;)I am sure your experiences of the club are more representative - we did not have a bad experience; the people I am referring to were minding their own business, just looked like tough sorts!

As for "middling second division" - it probably sounds a bit harsher than I intended. Just to explain: for purposes of my classification, division one is the jewels - Dornoch, Muirfield, Portrush etc. Courses like Brora, North Berwick, Ballyliffin etc are second division - albeit great courses. And within that division, if courses like these are the top, and I prefer them to Castlerock, then it becomes middle of the second division....so it's all relative, and highly subjective!

Incidentally Robert, if you go west of Ballyliffin, you get to Portsalon and Rosapenna (two courses) which are both great destinations. I know you can't do everything, but just thought I would mention them.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 01:53:36 PM »
Philp - understsood completely.  Come to think of it, amongst my cousin's cronies there are some VERY tough chaps... seeing them without my cousin there would be daunting indeed.  But the club in general is nice and welcoming.

And the course does fit in as you say - it's not at the top with the real jewels, so how to describe is indeed all relative and subjective!  If Castlerock fits in with the others you list below the top jewels - and I think it does - then that's pretty darn good.

Gosh I do love the place, can you tell?  I envy my cousin big-time.

;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:54:09 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »
I played Castlerock and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember that the 8-11 stretch is excellent.

I didn't have time, but I wish I'd played the Castlerock nine-hole course. It occupies some wonderful duneland, and one of the holes is reputed to be one of the best in Ireland.

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 02:31:03 PM »
I didn't have time, but I wish I'd played the Castlerock nine-hole course. It occupies some wonderful duneland, and one of the holes is reputed to be one of the best in Ireland.

You and me both, Larry.  Man it looks really neat.  My cousin's take on it:  "it's wild....."

Gosh darn I need to go back.

TH

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »
Huck - I can tell!

So when are you coming to visit your golfing cousins this side of the water to indulge the passion? Don't forget - October 06 in Hoylake.

But you are welcome before then too. :)

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 03:21:22 PM »
I played Castlerock 3 yrs ago as the 2nd in a day that started with Royal Portrush.

Tom Huckaby truly provides the true story of this course - a poor 2nd cousin due to proximity to great courses, but certainly has merits of its own.

Given the chance to play it, take it.

That comment about the membership - i vote for super-friendly. Our group had a member as caddy, an older gentleman, he was fantastic. We were the 3rd group of 4 out, when we returned to the clubhouse, there was a tremendous "crack" conversation going on between members and us, the visitors. You don't see that every place (!) :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back