News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re:Pace of Play
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 11:25:52 AM »
Tom,

I was in the 3rd group off on Sunday morning and it took over 4 hrs 30 mins to get around and we were right on top of the group in front of us.  So while not 5 hours +,  it was still slow.  Your right though, that Saturday round was a killer.

I was also in the first group off at Pacific Dunes with JohnV and some others and we played at a brisk pace and it still took us 4 hrs 15 mins.

Some courses just don't lend themselves to fast play.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:26:17 AM by Craig Edgmand »

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 11:36:06 AM »
Craig:

I guess I was just lucky going off earlier on that Sunday morning... well at least in terms of pace of play... it sure wasn't any benefit hangover-wise.   ;)

In any case, you are oh so right that the layout of the course has a HUGE impact on how long a round takes also.  Barona has some pretty big green to tee hikes, particularly 9 to 10 - so it's always going to be pretty tough to play all that quickly there.  None of the courses at Bandon lend themselves to fast rounds either - 4:15 is quick playing at Pacific - Trails takes even longer.

I just want Shivas to put the blame where it correctly lies, and get over this "we always play slow when we get together" mantra as he has said this before.  Yes, we don't exactly tear things up in these gatherings, but a lot of that is due to socializing, picture-taking, etc and no real desire to go fast as we're having too much fun to rush it along.  I firmly believe that when each of us want to go fast - as Todd, Josh and I did that Sunday morning round - we certainly can.  Well, most of us anyway.   ;)

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 12:50:24 PM »
Throw some grass in the air, pace some yardage, ponder strategic lines that don't exist, contemplate pin position, factor in internal green contours that negligibly impact things because the ball stops like a dart and you've got a wedge in your hand, take two practice swings for feel, then one serious one, then tug at your shirt, play with your glove, grip, re-grip, right foot in place, left foot in place, replace feet, waggle, waggle again, take a deep breath, then another, double check alignment, oh, wait!  a gust of wind....back off...start process again because Dr. Bob says so.....I"m still waiting....BARF!!

You and me both, brother.  And I know you are the antithesis of this... but I have a friend who makes you look slow.  Good lord, the guy damn near runs to his ball and barely gets the club out of the bag before starting his swing.

In any case, there are examples of this all over, for sure... and this group is not immune.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back