News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re: Best Caddy Story?
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
Another favorite story of Rocky is on the 14th tee with a hole near the front.

Rocky thinks his man needs a 5 iron to reach while the player, looking down that large hill, is certain he can reach with a 6. As the player pulls the club out of the bag Rocky leans down closer to the ball and says to it..."Take a deep breath!".

Just perfect, clean and quick.

archie_struthers

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
 ;D :D ;D

I'll skip the PV stories and go way back to my early loops at Woodcrest CC , a nice Flynn course in South Jersey.

I'm about 13 and sitting In the caddy yard, which was attached to the clubhouse but was more akin to a cattle pen , with an eight foot stockade fence all around . It was early Saturday (about 7am ) and we had a decent group of guys sitting around reading the newspapers , playing cards and waiting to go out . The caddy master Ken had just stuck his nose in to see how many troops were available . . He was happy to have a full regiment ready to go on this nice summer morning.

Just then one of the older loopers said they had just spied Manny S. and Sid R. heading for the 1st tee. Oh my , Manny and Sid ,  two high handicappers with big Burton bags and a well deserved reputation as the most penurious members at Woodcrest . When Kenny walked back in    to choose a victim  he found just one lone guy and tumbleweeds , lol!  He didn't recognize the guy but Manny and Sid didn't tip him either , so off they went with the mystery looper.

I had followed all the others climbing out of the pen to make sure we missed Manny and Sid . It was amazing the dexterity some of the older caddies showed clambering over the fence , or under it. Quite  remarkable the evacuation was , silent and immediate.

We all watched from various vantage points as Ken sent the lone looper to the tee with Manny and Sid . He then returned to the now full yard and asked a couple of the veterans if they knew the guy he had just sent out. All demurred . No doubt the two didn't tip Kenny too well either, so he wasn't too concerned at the time.

About a half hour goes by and all of a sudden in come Manny and Sid , huffing and puffing and screaming to high heaven , all they had was their putters. . It seems the looper  went out  to forecaddie on number two , didn't leave drivers and just disappeared. Legend has it he  had an accomplice or a car  parked out on the street near the second and just took the bags , clubs and whatever else he could and never was seen again.

When Ken stopped yelling at all us for hiding he started laughing so hard he cried , as did all the rest of us !
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:51:02 PM by archie_struthers »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:21 AM »
Ran, this thread should be locked after that post by Archie.  No way that can ever be topped!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
Ran, this thread should be locked after that post by Archie.  No way that can ever be topped!

+1

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Two Parter

We had a fantastic caddy (nom de guerre B).  Was at the club for years. His brother is also an outstanding caddy.  B, notwithstanding his attributes as a caddy, struggled with certain other issues and it was not uncommon for him to be skating around the outer edges of the law.

A warrant was issued for his arrest in connection with the failure to pay something or other to the Court . . . one June afternoon, the police show up at the club and approach the assistant caddy master demanding to know if B is on the premises.  The assistant answered in the affirmative and the police instructed him to go out on the course and bring him in but not to alert B to their presence.

The assistant who understood warrants and the like nodded and went out on the course to find B.  Now, the property is 460 acres give or take and B was at the farthest spot from the clubhouse (in fact in a different municipality) about 4 miles away by car due to the nature of the topography.  He is carrying in his regular Tuesday afternoon game with "the Docs" and they are on their 14th hole of the round.  The assistant tells B that the police are up at the clubhouse and are waiting for him, should he want to come in and face the music.

B doesn't want to come in.  Instead, he drops his bags and gets in the cart with his now accomplice who starts to drive him to a spot on the property from which he can make his getaway.

The cart makes it 60 yards or so and spins around and heads back toward the group of Docs.  B hops back out and apologizes for abandoning the group and asks to be paid for the round!

After negotiating a settlement with the group, B turns and disappears into a cornfield never to be seen at LCC again . . . .(to be continued).

Of course,

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »
B- Part two

After B disappears, he goes underground.  For weeks caddies and members alike wonder where he is, has he skipped town, is he caddying somewhere else etc.  Our caddy master has officially declared him "DTR" (Down the Road =banned).  Rumors abound but no one has actually laid eyes on the guy except his brother the caddy who isn't talking.

After about three months, B gets picked up in the most obvious place possible, his house and is taken to "the Castle" -  caddy name for the County Jail. At this stage, B becomes a cause celebre (for those from PA, think Mumia Abu Jamaal) and informal discussions, typically fueled by post round consumption, commence regarding how to best help B.

It is decided that a lawyer and GCA poster - me - will go to court when B is coming through for his contempt hearing and attempt to smooth things over and spring him with a small contribution to the justice system.

The comings and goings of prisoners is fairly random and though I spend some time in court I'm not a criminal lawyer so I drafted B's brother to keep me apprised of B's status so that I could be alerted to his presence in the courthouse and make it there in advance of the hearing.

Eventually the call comes . . . "R, can you meet B? he's gone to the courthouse." "When did he go?" "I don't know" replies B's brother.

With that, I abandon my work and go to the courthouse.  When I arrive, I am told to go to courtroom 8 where the contempt hearings are being held.  When I arrive, the courtroom is empty with the exception of the Judge and County Attorney.

I know the County Attorney and ask them both had B been through already.  The Judge responds, "Oh yes, Mr. B was here and he's going right back where he came from."  I asked what had happened and they explained that B had refused to answer any question posed to him by the Judge.

With that I went into full grovel and finally prevailed on the County attorney to ask the judge to allow B to come back up for a second crack at it.  I assured them that this time, he would answer questions and arrangements would be made to pay his fine so that he could get out of jail.
The Judge relented and told me to be back with B in five minutes or she was leaving the bench.  A call was placed to the holding cell in the basement and I left the courtroom filled with optimism for our man's release.

I had never been to the holding cell before and when I arrived, I discovered a cell with no fewer then 20 guys standing around.  When they saw me the jeering started but B made his way to the door and got them to quiet down. What ensued is still the most bizarre interaction I have ever experienced.

"B, what the hell happened up there?"
B responded, "I'm sorry ROC, I just wasn't going to give them the satisfaction."
"What are talking about B?"
"They wanted to know what I did for a living and I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of an answer. It's none of their business. The Judge got mad and told me I was going back to jai."

Incredulous now I said, "B, no one gives a shit what you do for a living and they get no satisfaction from this. I've convinced them to give you another crack now let's get up there."

In the calm tone reserved only for martyrs, B said, "No, ROC.  I'm not giving them the satisfaction.   I appreciate you wanting to help but I'm going to do my ninety days and when I get out, I am going to bring a civil rights claim against the county."

I shook my head and left. B did his time.

I don't know if he ever filed suit but I am happy to report that he is back on the bag at a well known club in Delaware County where I see him on occasion. He is still a great caddy!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:38:03 AM by Rory Connaughton »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
A story from a former caddy:

I was in Grand Haven, MI for a week on a family vacation about 7 years back. I always bring the sticks and try and sneak out for a round or two. Earlier in the week I got away long enough to play Hawkshead Links in Southaven, but I was short on time this day....so I headed over to this little golf course with the fastest greens called Terre Verde GC. I am in the parking lot getting my bag squared away and a guy pulls up and asks what the deal with the golf course is. I tell him that I had played it 2 years ago, it was CHEAP, in pretty nice shape with fairly quick greens, nice layout for the small price. I asked if he would like to join me since I was alone. After the 3rd hole, "Jimmy" tells me that he wants to tell me a golf story even though he thinks that I will NOT believe him. I said go for it. Jimmy Gill was 67, I was 39 and he askes me about Arnold Palmer and if I am into golf history (I AM). Jimmy tells me how as a teenager he worked as a caddy at the Country Club of Detroit and in 1954 he caddied all week at the 1954 US Amateur. No big deal right? WRONG. He caddied all week for the winner, none other than Arnold Palmer! He said this win was characterized as the "turning point" of Arnie's career. He told me all about the last match and how Arnold never really spoke to him (had a real game face going on the whole week) and how Arnie kinda shafted him on the caddy fee for the week, compared to what the British guy (Robert Sweeney Jr, a very wealthy amateur and established Brit who lived in USA and GB) who was the runner up paid his caddy anyway. Jimmy made $100 from Palmer, Sweeney paid his caddy $400. Jimmy wasn't salty about it though. He was interviewed by the golf Channel and they asked how generous Arnie was back then? He replied with, Well, Arnie is a paint salesman and business must not be all that good, I think that he needs to sell more paint! Jimmy was a retired firfighter and an really easy going guy to play a round of golf with.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »
Couple years back I had the option of playing in a walking 5-some at a well-known national club in SC, but with about four hours of sunlight left and a half hour drive to a yet unseen hotel, I opted to jump ahead by myself.  This presented a problem for the caddies, who, apparently, had the game already handicapped.  Nonetheless, my assigned caddie broke off with me, and we had a very entertaining late afternoon.

Paul described himself as a scratch golfer who caddied to feed his gambling habits, which were, by then, under control and limited mostly to golf.  He played the local mini-tour circuit and other high-stakes games throughout the Carolinas, all the way down to FL.  He definitely knew how to read greens and did an excellent job of guiding me around the course while playing at a moderate pace that didn't push the members ahead of us.

As the round unfolded, we delved into various subjects of common interest- GCA was not high on his list, though he had strong opinions on how different courses tested his game- including our backgrounds, education, politics, etc.  Paul noted that his life experiences were unusual in that his dad was a well-known member of an organized crime family in the NY/NJ area, and that he grew up in the business.  He had married a Jewish woman from a reputable family on the good side of the tracks, both expecting that they had hit the jack-pot, neither realizing that both families were flat broke (his dad was on the way to jail for an extended period; his in-laws were nursing a longtime failing business).

A recovering alcoholic who had some past experience with drugs, Paul never completed high school and, allegedly, made a good living early in his life gambling and as a bookie-  horses, sporting events, cards, golf.  Though he claimed to never having ties to the mob himself or dealing drugs, he said his life changed for the better after being stopped by the police on a traffic violation in NJ and a search of his car yielded a paper bag with over $100k cash.  He said that he wasn't headed to a drug buy- that he had just won the money at a private poker game- but apparently he was being watched and they had enough evidence to put him in prison for a number of years (I gathered that it wasn't the first time).

Shedding much of his past life including his former wife, he was living with a local woman in a modest home nearby, golf and his new family providing the needed direction.  During his time in the Pen, he developed a love for books and particularly enjoyed biographies and learning about economics.  To my great delight, he was fully conversant on Friedman, Sowell, Hayek, Bastiat, and had even read Wanniski.  He knew all the Supreme Court justices, their proclivities, and how the Fed and the monetary system work.

About the only thing Paul said that I thought was suspect had to do with a pushed tee shot which barely rolled into a large lake flanking the right side of a hole on the backside.  Before I could rake the ball out of the water with an iron, he yells at me to leave it.  Apparently, a caddie had lost his forearm to a 10'+ alligator retrieving a ball near the same spot earlier in the year.  I've done a Google search and have been unable to verify his story, but I tend to believe him.

I have played golf with any number of individuals with post graduate educations and I can't think of a single one who left a more lasting impression in such a short time than Paul.  We had an amazing three plus hours together, and consider the $100 caddie fee a relative bargain.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »
This is an interesting thread.  Very enjoyable read.  I've got a couple...

1.  A good friend of mine who was a member at Crooked Stick in '91 held the event volunteer position that week of caddie hospitality.  He told me this story.  After round one, when 6th alternate John Daly had shot 69 and claimed a spot among the leaders, his caddie, Squeeky Medelin (Nick Price's normal caddie...Price had withdrawn so Squeeky was looking for a bag that week) was hanging out in the caddie hospitality area going on and on about Daly's prodigious length and take no prisoners style.  My friend was standing close enough that he heard Squeekly telling this story about round one, which illustrates Daly's "let's not overthink this game" approach.  Squeeky:  "He bombs it on #16 and he's got 172 left to the hole.  I get to the ball first, and have his yardage ready.  When Daly get's to the ball, he says 'whatta we got?'.  I say, 'you've got 172, it's either a big 9 or a smooth 8.'  Daly replies...'Well give me one of 'em".    LOVE THAT STORY.

2.  This one is my own story.  I'm playing at Whistling Straits about 15 years ago and my caddie is one of those guys (like others referred to in this thread) that is trying to be too much of "the show".  We've got 4 pretty good players and nobody is enjoying this guy's antics.  We get to the 10th tee and have a breeze in our face.  The 10th has a bunker right in the middle of the fairway.  I say to him "can I carry that bunker with my 3 wood" (he's been carrying for me for 9 holes, and he knows what I'm capable of).  He says "yes".  I nut my 3 wood, and it hits the steep grass slope above the bunker and rolls halfway down the grass slope, but does not go in the bunker.  I'm not happy.  When we get to the ball, it's unhittable, due to the steep slope.  I tell my fellow competitors that I'm going to proceed under the unplayable ball rule and I pick up the ball.  Note:  I was a USGA Committeeman at that time and had about a dozen years of tournament rules experience.  I decide to go back on the line from where the ball was connected to the flag and drop in the fairway at a flat spot about 100 yards from the hole.  The caddie says "what are you doing?"  Still angry with him over the tee shot advice, I reply, "I'm taking unplayable".  He said "well...you can't bring the ball all the way back here".  I said..."well...yes I can."  Not really wanting to discuss this with him, I take my drop and ask for a club.  He hands me my wedge and as I address the ball, under his breath he says "You're cheating".  It takes alot to get me to my breaking point, but he had achieved it...I tell him I am a USGA rules official and I know the rules, and if he wants to give rules information he maybe should study up a bit...I then said "you know what, I can see the clubhouse from here, you don't have a very long walk back...I'll take it from here, we're done."  Sent him packing.  I then hit my shot onto the green, two putted for bogey, and had to explain to my playing companions why I would be carrying my own clubs the rest of the way.  Needless to say, we all enjoyed the last 8 holes much more than the first 10.

TS

Ari Techner

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2013, 03:45:55 AM »
I can't post the whole story but has anyone else ever seen a caddy snort ritalin off a sprinkler head in the middle of a fairway at Pine Valley?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back