News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

The Tragedy of Links Club
« on: January 25, 2003, 07:06:49 PM »
I have finally gotten back to my reading of George Bahto's book on CBM (best $$ I've spent on a golf book in a long time, by the way), and have just finished reading about the "death" of Links Club.  

It is very tragic, because the way Mr. Bahto describes it, MacDonald was very personally involved in the constrution and the conditioning of the course.  But, I can't believe the secrecy of the membership.  It seemed almost cult-like in description.  The 3 pictures supplied (as well as a rare aerial) could perhaps be the only ones in existence.  

How could a membership be so closed minded to have only family members take the place of their decesed relatives? Maybe that is a little harsh, it is their right to admit who they wish, but not at the expense of the course. How could they let their membership dwindle to approximately 13 members before selling the property?  It just seems so senseless.  I understand and respect private clubs and their proper place in society.  But, my God, to let a beautiful CBM/Raynor gem die out is sinful, IMO.  

I guess since there was so much secrecy surrounding the club, there might not be too much discussion generated by this post, but I just had to get it off my chest how I hate to read of stories like this.  We need MORE courses like Links Club.  Even if no one will ever play it, just the fact that it exists is enough for me.  OK, back to my reading, you can see that I am having a crazy Saturday night!!!   :D :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

rpurd

Re: The Tragedy of Links Club
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 07:53:31 PM »
Sounds very interesting.......sort of a Deepdale situation with the number of members.  Where was the Links Club?  I presume on Long Island..........

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 08:06:54 PM »
I practically grew up with the Links Club, if you could call it that. It was always a most unusual golf club--not exactly the type of place any member went to every day or that much. The people who belonged to it belonged to many other golf clubs. The Links was a very specialized use golf club--certainly private, basically just a collection of never more than 100 very close friends and the play was always unbelievably light. If the rounds per year could be translated here it would probably shock golfclubatlasers.

The death of it was unusual, to say the least. The feeling of the Links club was almost like going to a friend's place for Sunday lunch and playing golf. What's been said on this thread is not really understanding the Links club or the time it existed in. It's tragic to see it a NLE but it was never a normal golf club because in a sense that's the way it was in those days.

It was also no NGLA--that's for sure. Some of the holes were pretty odd or even mundane but there were some that were very cool such as the old reverse redan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

Tom Doak

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 11:22:32 AM »
I'm at home and the book is at the office, so I can't recall exactly what George B. said about the club's secrecy.  But the pictures he used were mine.

I visited the club three times in the early 1980's.  The first time I went in and introduced myself to Joe Phillips the pro, and he told me to leave.  The second time I hung around longer, and eventually the superintendent came around and gave me a tour of the course, but asked me not to take any photos.  He told me that "Mr. Macdonald did not think photographs do proper justice to the contours of a golf course," so they never allowed anyone to take pictures.

Fortunately, before they plowed the place under, when I was doing the reconstruction work at Piping Rock, Jim Albus (who was club pro then) got a couple of the living members of The Links to okay my going out and taking some photos of it.  They agreed that Mr. Macdonald would not like to see the place pass into a housing development without any record.  I have about 50 slides of it, and gave them to George for use in the book.

I also got to play the course with P.B. Dye before it was gone.  Quite an experience.  We thought we might be the last ones to play it, but later I was told that Bob Ranum and Ed Butler used to go over there from Garden City G.C. all the time.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 11:54:51 AM »
Maybe The Links was super private, it sure wouldn't surprise me if it was. I always thought of it as just unbelievably sleepy. But for at least two non productive summers I played it all the time always with this one other friend of mine (just the two of us). Old Bert was still there in the clubhouse and someone could really write a small book about him alone. My Dad belonged to the Links for quite a time I think but he obviously was one of those who dropped out before it's eventual demise.

I do recall now him saying that two members basically kept the place going by paying all the bills. I know one was Bill Paley and I think the other may have been Jock Whitney. I also remember my Dad saying one time that the club was very concerned about vandalism occuring constantly on the course so they instituted a policy to allow any cops or firemen who felt like playing to do so. The last I heard about the Links they may have been about the only players.

It was definitely a very different place but you hate to see it gone--particularly a C.B MacDonald.

PS:

I could be wrong about this but it is a vague recollection. I think when the membership seriously dwindled, those remaining tried hard to give the course to the township just to save it, or maybe even the county but nobody wanted to take it so it went under to housing. This kind of thing very well may have happened to more golf courses around the entire New York City area than the rest of the world combined!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

ChipOat

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2003, 07:02:09 AM »
Tom Paul:

Not sure about your last paragraph above but the rest of your post is spot on.

Links Golf Club put together by the Whitneys with a few other close friends from the North Shore Gold Coast crowd.  Charley Payson was Jock Whitney's brother in law, Bill Paley tied in somehow, etc.

Legend has it that they acquired the property to prevent a Jewish cemetary from being built next to the family estate - don't really know how true that is.

Never had more than 50-75 members; very insular group - all friends and family of the Whitneys with a few "appropriate" others to provide just enough critical mass.

Even more private, quiet and informal than Deepdale.

Toward the end, Jock Whitney and Bill Paley were carrying a disproportionate share of the load.  When they died, the $$$ offered by developers was more than sufficient to deter the few remaining members (or JH Whitney's estate maybe??) from trying to build a 250+ member "real" golf club.

I said once in another thread that, if The Links Golf Club had survived another 10 years, you can bet there would have been enough money around NYC to make it a viable, self-sustaining club.

Lido and Timber Point would, one presumes, also still be great classics today if not for unfortunate economic timing.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 07:29:50 AM »
Chip:

I really don't know the particulars of the final years of The Links club. By that time I was out of New York and my father was too. Not even sure when it went NLE. But he talked about it sometimes and about what might happen to it. When I played there was probably in the late 1960s and I don't even remember when my Dad quit belonging but probably quite some time before its demise. My recollection is that whenever he played there it was always with the same group (I remember them) and it was always on Sunday. But for a few summers I played there alot always during the week days. I can remember playing there quite well and I cannot ever remember seeing anyone else around. There weren't even any other cars there. We'd go into that little old clubhouse afterwards and sit around sometimes and have drinks and it was almost always just me and the other fellow and Old Bert--that was it. Sleepiest golf club I ever saw.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 07:36:50 AM »
Tom,

Curious if you have any memories of The City Clubhouse for The Links Club, when it was tied to the golfcourse. I am tentatively scheduled to go to dinner at "The Links Club" this week, but my understanding is that there is not much memorabilia left from the golf club and that it serves mainly as a dinner and social club now.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 11:50:14 AM »
MikeS:

I do remember the Links club in the city too--went there a number of times for things like wedding parties and such but that's been a long time too. To tell you the truth I never even realized it was connected to the Links golf course on Long Island.

George Bahto

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 03:25:53 PM »
I was flattered to have been asked to speak at the Links Club in NYC last fall at at their Annual Golf Dinner,
set up by one of our posters. It was a wonderful affair attended by over 70 (more or less). It was a
wonderful evening at a very impressive club and I had a grand time.

This was the "clubhouse" for the course - members originally came here to change, have lunch or just
hang out before going to the course out on Long Island..

Interesting - they originally planned to have a driving range on the roof but those plans fell through.

Originally two townhouses were combined with a staircase up the middle (now also an elevator also) -
Four floors of artwork cover most of the walls.

They have a lot of "member" memorabilia but not too much from the course.

Thanks Tom D for the use of the pictures!

ChipOat

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 03:54:59 AM »
Mike Sweeney & George Bahto:

The founding of The Links (there's no "Club" in the name) in NYC predated the org. of The Links Golf Club by about 10 years, I think.  Although there may have been close to 100% overlapping membership before WWII, I'm not aware that there was ever any formal connection between the 2 entities.

Either way, both are/were wonderful places.  The city entity is a whole lot busier than LGC ever was, though.

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 04:27:20 AM »
Chip:

I think you have to be right about that connection or semi-lack of it between the Links club in NYC and the golf course on Long Island. Perhaps some people belonged to both but clearly there were many people who belonged to just one or the other.

My Dad, for instance, belonged to the Links golf course for quite some time but he definitely didn't belong to the Links club in NYC (or else he wasn't aware of it). Frankly, he loved the old Links golf course but if any of us ever tried to get him to enter the city limits of NYC there was practically no way to do that--he absolutely hated the city.

He once even told me he'd had a nightmare that he was naked in the city and there was no available door to open to do anything about his situation. Probably an absolutely classic paranoic Freudian dream if I've ever heard one.

The thing I really love about those days and those clubs and such is they really were populated with some true eccentrics. It created a much more interesting dynamic, in my opinion. More interesting really in the overall. Some of those people in those days had some very strong ideas and some very odd ones and didn't seem to mind expressing them!

George Bahto

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 07:14:37 AM »
After the course was built the club in the city - Chip has it right it was just "Links" - it was the offical "clubhouse" of the golf course according to their history. Many would have lunch in the city, change and go to the course.

The structure at the course was smalL.

CB originally owned the property in the city before it was converted. I think they bought the adjacent townhouse and combined them.

As years went on the function of the city "club" changed considerably.

Their founders were an astounding group.

ChipOat

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 07:42:22 AM »
George:

The club history would know better than I.  That's why I always include "I think, I believe, etc." in my discussions of the facts.  Never can be sure when my original source is a little misinformed.

Chip

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 08:38:26 AM »
Are you both saying that if someone belonged to the golf club they could also use the city club (clubhouse?) with no further arrangement? Perhaps that was so in the very beginning but I don't think it was enduring. But again, if you belonged to the golf club could you always use the city club? Maybe that's why my step brother's wedding party was at the City Links club, maybe it was done through my father but I find that hard to believe. In any case my Dad's performance that night was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen but at this point that too can probably be looked at differently and just more evidence of interesting eccentricities.

Now that I think of the Link's club golf course I really can't recall anyplace exactly to change and stuff. The clubhouse out there was just that funky old farmhouse (pretty cool to consider now) and the proshop, if you could call it that in the old farmhouse's barn. I must have always been dressed to play when I went there and I sure never have had any problem changing my shoes at the trunk of my car--something, I might add that often gets me in trouble today at some of these snooty golf and country clubs. They tell me doing things like that is a public golf mentality.

When I get my wrists slapped for that sort of thing in the future I'm gonna damn straight tell those people I was just a country mouse at the old Links club and I never really had the opportunity to change at the intown city club because I never happened to have been in the city when I went to the course and if they can't now accept that fact and upbringing at one of these snooty clubs today they can jolly well go f...themselves!

You see how connected old style golf (no matter where you were) was to all golf--to democractic principles in golf--to the spirit of golf at TOC! The Links club must have been very Scottish in spirit. Old Bert sure was Scottish. Knowing C.B. Macdonald, he would have endorsed that I'm sure, and would probably be very proud of me in the future if I tell some snotty country club today to f...off if they try to castigate me for poor manners when I march across the parking lot with my golf shoes on!

ChipOat

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 09:03:57 AM »
Tom:

Club history must have some detail on this.  Guessing that any formal connection was less complete post-WWII.  As of 1980, I know that members of LGC were not automatically members of The Links on 62nd Street in NYC, as well.

Probably plenty of reciprocal privileges between them until the demise of LGC, though.

CBM was either first or near-first president of The Links and my understanding has always been that he organized the city club so NATIONAL GOLF LINKS members would have a common gathering place in NYC (that he also presided over, BTW - what a surprise).

I defer to the The Links club history but I believe that Links Golf Club came along about 10 years after NGLA and 5-8 years after The Links.  George Bahto - come in.

Too many Links's and links to keep track of.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 09:09:11 AM »
Here here!!!  Good for you, Tom.

Hell, I just this Christmas got a shoe bag in which to store my softspikes.

The one time I played East Lake, I had no idea that the locker room attendant would shine your shoes while you played. I was very embarrased when I got back to my guest locker and saw my dilapidated hush puppies sitting there.  If I had known any better, I would have worn my church shoes!!!!  :) :)

Huh, and I didn't think this thread would generate any conversation.   ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2003, 11:04:48 AM »
Rob:

I agree with you. As contrary as I might be about some things I always did know not to wear my chartreuse suede shoes (and purple socks) to some snooty golf club and bring them into the locker room. As sophisticated as some of those seemingly uptown golf clubs think they are, I know not a one of them that would know what to do with my chartreuse suede shoes. Frankly, although I still have them I don't think I've worn them since my days hanging out with Fireball Roberts in Daytona Beach back in the late 1950s.

Actually, if I think of it I do wear to these snotty clubs some really first rate leather shoes from something like Mr Cleaverly or Lob's or Peal's and I tell the shoe shine guy I don't want him just fooling around with a simple shine, I want him to spend a good 90 minutes, at least, boning those shoes the way they're supposed to be boned so that when he's done those shoes look like melting butter and feel like they've just been through the latest wrinkle cure. Anything less than that I tell him is not deserving of my $1 tip and certainly won't get it.

But if I'm not wearing special puppies like that or I haven't thought about it, changing under an open car trunk lid will do just fine both ways--in and out!

These softspikes are great, I guess, but not because they're easy on greens but because you can wear them into clubhouses more easily today than you used to be able to wear your hard spikes in. But if you want to see one of the coolest old looks anywhere on some of these really stylish old golf clubhouses just look at the spectacular look of decades and decades of spike wear on the old wooden floors. There's little else better looking than that old patina and slightly concave look!

Even my own house has some of that! I did stop wearing spikes to bed decades ago, though, since I never did see anything that stylish about ripped up sheets and other things!

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2003, 11:09:40 AM »
Tommy

If I were you I'd forget about writing a book about Flynn, or any other dead architect.  An autobiography would suffice..........

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2003, 11:49:01 AM »
Rob:

I hadn't really read your first post that carefully but I can understand your feeling of the tragedy of the old Links going down the tubes.

But seriously, you are misreading it a bit, I think. The old Links Club was a fun little golf course but don't think for a minute it was anything like NGLA or Piping Rock--it wasn't. Some of the holes were very interesting and even very difficult but if it had never been altered (and I don't know it ever was) it would probably be somewhat of a curiosity today if it had survived.

But you should understand that those 100 or less members (never more than 100) belonged to so many other clubs, in a certain way because of that fact the Links may never have been destined to survive in that type of world.

It occurs to me, though, that that world of the early American so-called WASP had an enormous impact on the creation of much of the best of early American golf and its architecture and many if not most of those old clubs and courses that survive today (particularly up and down the East Coast) and that we admire so much today were from that very tight and very unusual WASP world.

It should be looked at more carefully, though, because it was a most interesting world and there is much historically interesting to know from it now.

I've always hesitated to talk about it much on here and I think others probably have too because there was much about it that would probably annoy and even incense some people today. But there was another aspect of it, that should be looked at on here, I think.

The reason we should look at it more closely is because this site and the contributors to it understand architecture, particularly a certain type and style of it. And mostly it was that that was the fascinating world of the early American WASP that many in that early era and maybe even somewhat still today considered to be the American aristocracy (although of course there never really was such a thing in America).

But I think I just might start a thread on it because they did have such an influence on early American golf architecture (and other things). Whatever they weren't--and they weren't a lot--such as inclusive--they really did have style--true style, and the kind so many of us enjoy today both in and about golf and that many today seem to want to see again, in many ways, in both the ethos of golf and the architecture of it.  

These people had immense amounts of money mostly, and if some from that class didn't have great amounts of money exactly they seemed to have real influence somehow in so many ways as a class--they were an extremely tight-knit class--and although they really weren't the kind of class or people to flash it like some with money do today they didn't hesitate to buy the best in the styles of their times--and mostly they even created those styles. And that very much included the architects of that time, almost all of the best architects.

The best architects plied that class bigtime, and it's so interesting to realize how the whole thing was amazingly interconnected. The reason it was is almost that entire WASP world of that time knew each other. That's incredible to conceive of today but too such a large degree they did. How and why they did is just as interesting.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2003, 01:24:20 PM »
Thanks.  That is why I "get my courage up" to post some topics every now and then.  Because we have well versed contributors like you that can add to the overall conversation.   I really appreciate it.  

And, that is a very interesting topic, because if you really think about it, back in the Golden Age, the only people who were playing golf and comissioning golf courses had lots of money.  Everyone else was simply trying to put food on the table.

Through my reading, I also was suprised that CBM was very well off financially, but I don't think it was primarily from his architecture work.  Compare to Dr. MacKenzie who reportedly died poor.  Something to think about.  

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2003, 01:54:51 PM »
There was one other little sidenote that may not be such a sidenote afterall. And that was the amateur vs the professional in golf architecture. As an amateur player, anyway, the line was apparently far less distinct back then in letter and more distinct back then in spirit than we realize today.

Some of the best of the early architects in America were amateur out of necessity and maybe also the continent, although after the creation of the USGA the Americans lived under their own system of amateurism. Many of the creative early architects almost had to be amateurs in the sense of not taking pay for their courses as they were hesitant to lose or have their amateur status questioned as it was a somewhat undefined affair in letter back then. Apparently the spirit of it was much different though. Travis was the one who sort of crossed the line and Quimet got into hot water too. Certainly the eventual question of Bobby Jones amateur status is interesting too.

But Macdonald came from a certain amount of money originally, made more in finance (Wall St, I guess) and also married it bigtime. And certainly his own ideas on amateurism in anything to do with golf should be looked at carefully. So far I find his ideas on that to be extremely practical and realistic but probably basically founded in the old world of just the spirit of the Scottish game.

But Macdonald really was the transporter of the game to America in the larger sense and in the organizational sense--and his ideas are fascinating. As time goes on we will all see just how central he really was in that way!

Some have called Charles Blair Macdonald the father of American architecture, sometimes even the father of architecture (since he might have almost coined the term) but it's certainly looking to me more and more like we all should call him the Father of American golf, period! We should never forget how early he was in a rather compacted and fast moving time for the game in America in that era.

Frankly, to me, if that's true, and it's looking more as if it is, to call him what he probably was the "Father of American golf" is even more significant by far than to call him the "Evangelist of Golf".

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2003, 04:52:09 PM »

I've always hesitated to talk about it much on here and I think others probably have too because there was much about it that would probably annoy and even incense some people today. But there was another aspect of it, that should be looked at on here, I think.

Tom,

Of your many threads, I have really enjoyed reading this one. As GCA has more face to face meetings like Alpine and more face to face golf outings, I think you should feel comfortable in talking about this. People will see that your interest is in the golf architecture, not the other stuff. Yes, there will be the occasional "guest" post, but who cares. In fact, I think you could bring it out in your Flynn book with Wayne. You touched upon it at the Alpine meeting, but why was William Flynn (Irish Catholic?) able to penetrate, make money from (I assume), and be viewed as the leading architect with the WASP society of his time ? Sounds like a chapter.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2003, 08:18:16 PM »
"You touched upon it at the Alpine meeting, but why was William Flynn (Irish Catholic?) able to penetrate, make money from (I assume), and be viewed as the leading architect with the WASP society of his time ? Sounds like a chapter."

MikeS:

Ahhh, but that's the question, isn't it? All we know at this point is that's the way it apparently was much more than one would think or believe. By that I only mean that his super powerful clients seemed to treat him like one of their own to an inordinate extent--which is very unusual for some of those people. They took him into their lives in some interesting ways, it looks like.

We think it might have just been simply his personality but that persona is so elusive to track this many years later. He left so little trace of his personality which has always been reputed to be very dynamic, maybe sometimes maniacally daredevilish but grounded in the effective work-a-day world which was quite unlike some of his Philly contemporaries.

We think he was just this little fireplug Irish guy who called a spade a spade maybe at times with equal degrees of ire or mirth and everyone sort of took to him--all the way from his most menial employees to both Rockefeller and Geist--particularly Geist who may have been one of the most demanding and eccentric human beings I've ever heard of.

I'm really getting a sense, though, that Flynn may have been the one natural link between the golden age of architecture and the modern age of architecture. He was definitely trying to get away from some of the "old" and innovate in what some then, like Tillinghast, called "modern" and even "scientific" ways in the burgeoning and uniquely American style of architecture.

He cut his teeth in the early days of the Golden age but we're seeing many things from him that are nuancy and even a number of things as time went by that many strict purists on here wouldn't like or really agree with in architecture.

But the latter is really interesting Wayne and me because it's the real evolution, we think, and, the truth about how things really were evolving. It's interesting.  

Rick Goodale made a really good observation on the match play vs medal play thread between NGLA and next door Shinnecock. Maybe only 22-24 year apart but huge differences in what they represent in super good architecture but of their particular times. They're very different and the reasons why are sort of what it's all about in the evolution of American architecture, to me, at this point!

However, you said he might have been the leading architect with that WASP world. I don't really see that at all yet. He certainly was one of less than even a handful of them but certainly Ross was ahead of him by far in reputation. Raynor may have been too, but in 1926 Raynor was gone. Mackenzie was certainly dominate in some circles but unbelievably peripatetic!

Just a very interesting time in architecture and the more we look at it the more interesting it seems to get. The most important thing about it all, in my mind now, is just not to look at that time through the eyes that we see things in our own era. We shouldn't look at that era through the prism of our own times at all. But for better or worse Flynn may have been moving towards the modern era faster than we think!

Stephen Britton

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »
Sorry to  bring up an old thread, I've been reading about Links Club recently. Does anyone have photos they could post? Especially of the reverse redan?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:50:07 PM by Stephen Britton »
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back