News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Radrick Farms (P. Dye, 1965)
« on: September 11, 2004, 02:02:40 PM »
I took a quick spin around Radrick Farms yesterday evening. Is this one of the most interesting, early (1965) Pete Dye designs that's rarely spoken of, or what? I'd be interested in comments from those who've played it.

There are some very tight holes, with trees in the way. The course seems to be pretty short these days as well. There are some big-time par 4s, but the par 5s are pretty short by today's standards. But the greens are wild. And several holes really intrigued me upon first sight, including 1, 4, 5 (awesome green site), 6, 8, 9, 11 (very unique par 3, uphill, to a blind green surface), 12, 15, and 17.

The bunker style at Radrick is pretty unique as well, featuring roll-over, steep, grass faces. I can't recall seeing similar looking bunkers anywhere, personally.

The course was in great shape, too, with the U of M Invitational being played there this weekend. I hope to return soon for a game... to actually putt those greens!

P.S. Ann Arbor golfers are lucky, with the U of M course, Barton Hills, and Radrick Farms all in town.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 02:03:40 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Doug Sobieski

Re:Radrick Farms (P. Dye, 1965)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:21:58 PM »
Jeff:

It is amazing that Radrick doesn't get more discussion since it was Pete Dye's first 18-hole effort (after the nine holes he put in at Urbana). The golf course is a wonderful walk, with relatively short green to tee hikes, and very few uphill slogs given the rolling topography. 20 years ago it was regarded as VERY difficult, but technology has made it not more than a very pleasant, solid test.

I also enjoy #1 as an opener. I'd like to see some tree trimming on #2 (short par four played into a blind valley, where your tee shot is played over the tops of some trees). #8 and #9 are back to back 330 yarders, with one uphill and one downhill. I was there a month ago, and #8 left me scratching my head. I'd driven it to the base of the upslope right in front of the green and had about 60 yards left that I couldn't figure out how to negotiate!! #9 is sharply downhill with a cross bunker right where you would expect a 3-wood to land. #14 was considered a long par four many years ago, but even with technology, it is still a difficult par, with a tee shot over a bunker at the inside corner to a reverse camber fairway.

Overall, I like the front better than the back, largely because the last three holes seem a bit out of character with the rest (sitting in a very low wetland area, as opposed to the rolling nature of the rest of the course). It is a treat, however, to see how Pete's first greens look, with some really fun rolls to them. I recommend that any fan of Mr. Dye's work visit Radrick, if for nothing more than a history lesson.

All the best,

Doug

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:53:35 PM »
Doug,

I say, you summed Radrick up perfectly. Your thoughts about the course echo my own.

I didn't realize the course was Pete Dye's first go at an 18-hole development. If true, that makes the course even more interesting than otherwise. Not a bad effort for a first... some 41 years ago, at that!
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:23:05 PM »
Thinking about Radrick Farms, I picked up Pete's book, "Bury Me in a Pot Bunker", tonite. Although there's not a specific chapter devoted to Radrick, I found the following excerpt interesting.

"While we were in charge of both design and construction at our previous courses, Radrick Farms was built by a contractor who was unable to implement many of the creative ideas I envisioned."

Hmmm...

Boy, I'd pay for a walk-around Radrick with Pete any time soon, to discuss the course as it exists now compared to his original vision.

How interesting would that be?
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back