News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Donnie Beck

Re:"Contest" The Future of Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2004, 07:17:10 AM »
Good Job Clay!!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2004, 08:26:58 AM »
Wow.  Those were all very good.

I'd like to copy the last part of Rich's essay to include in my responses to all the college students who write to us.

ForkaB

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2004, 08:35:39 AM »
Tom

Tom

I'd be delighted for you to copy me.  I ask for no fee other than that you continue to be as fine of a partner as you were at Painswick next time we get to play together.  Oh yeah, and keep on building great courses.......  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »
Check out the big brains on the winners!  Well done, gents.  

I am a bumpkin.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2004, 12:04:25 PM »
Congratulations to the winners!  Intriguing reading!  

I have one question about the entrants, not once is water mentioned as an issue in the future of golf in America or the world, should this be integral to any planning for the future?

Rick Baril

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »
W.H.,

See  post #37 - it was also curious for me.  I can tell you it's a SERIOUS issue today!  For what it's worth, I'm hoping the essay writers have some divine insight we don't know about...

Clay Huestis

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2004, 12:29:11 PM »
I have one question about the entrants, not once is water mentioned as an issue in the future of golf in America or the world, should this be integral to any planning for the future?

I think this is a question better asked of the real world architects, but certainly water is a massive consideration in many parts of the world.  500 words doesn't leave much space to meander, but I do think a general trend towards firm and fast courses can only help with respect to water concerns.  I would love nothing more than to see a wave of brownish/green courses popping up all over the globe in the coming years.

I'd love to hear from architects and agronomists about the advances in turfgrass made in recent years, and how much of an impact some of these new varieties have on water usage.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2004, 12:41:20 PM »
Golf would survive the water issue. While it has yet to create a buzz, the project in Dolores Co. using artificial turf ,is likely the first to side-step the issue.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2004, 05:32:21 PM »
Rick, sorry imissed your earlier mention of water.  

Water is and will be a growing issue.  Whether the solution lies in reclaimed water, more innovative natural water (rainfall) systems, improved genetics, artificial surfaces, a return to a time before irrigation or some solution unimagined, I have to believe that h20 may be the most important in the industry within the next few decades.  

Without a solution the game may return to a passtime for the elite.  If we haven't gone there already.

John_Cullum

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2004, 05:57:42 PM »
An excerpt from my T-4 essay:

"Looking long, I foresee only further obstacles and impediments erected by various environmental concerns. Golf courses are easily portrayed as space taking , water consuming, polluters that are infecting the soils and waters with fertilizer runoff. These portrayals are merely a ruse for the left wing “environmentalists.” Do not be fooled. Their hidden agenda is not to protect the environment; but to stop wealthy white aristocrats from enjoying life. The environmentalists don’t really care about second hand smoke or emissions from SUV’s. They just don’t want anyone to enjoy themselves, unless you are one of them. The upshot of the environmentalists obstacles will be the demise of future golf course construction in the United States. In the log run, Golf courses will have to be built elsewhere."

Raynor was a hack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back