News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

help re New Castle by Tillinghast
« on: September 23, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »
Please commment, info re terrain, greens, and  possible quirk will be
appreciated

JNagle

Re:help re New Castle by Tillinghast
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 08:58:22 PM »
Mark,

Give us a call!  Actually Brad Klein also spent some time at New Castle years ago while Ron was being grilled during a presentation.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 09:18:07 PM »
Jim, I recall that night (June 1997) that you and Forse were bound, gagged and pilloried in front of that membership mob at New Castle. They were brutal, and I'm glad they had enough respect for you and the fight you put up to hire you. I hope you cut out at least 1,000 of those conifers. And please don't dare touch the wild green - 11th or 12th?

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 09:25:21 PM »
New Castle is a very nice course.  The greens are very quick and steep in places.  

There is one par 5 (#5) that definitely is a little quirky.  It is a dogleg left where the second shot is played to the top of a cliff (or at least as close as you can hit it or dare.)  The third shot is to a green that is set in a valley just over a stream.  It is probably 30 feet straight down the hill to the stream and the green.  The entire green is blind to the golfer unless he could get his tee shot right up to the edge of the cliff.  Behind the green is a very steep hillside with lots of long grass.  You have to be very precise with your distance control on the third shot.

Some other good holes include #11 which has a wild green that slopes severely from right to left, #12 which is a par 4 where you can layup up to the right of a creek that splits the fairway or try to drive over it to a small fairway and #16 which is a good mid-range par 5 with a long second or short 3rd over a creek to the green.

One other odd thing about the course is that it comes back to the clubhouse at #7 which is a par 3, then goes away for 8 and back for 9.  The back nine heads out from the clubhouse and doesn't return until 18.  This means that instead of the usual 2 greens and 2 tees right in front of the clubhouse there are 3 of each.  I've noticed that Tillie did that on both of his other courses in Western PA with #2 at Sunnehanna and #2 at Nemacolin CC returning to the clubhouse.  I've often wondered if 8 & 9 were orginally 1 & 2 so that what is 7 would have been 9.  Also #8 is right next to the driving range so having it as #1 would have made sense.

All things considered, I'd put it behind Sunnehanna as it has a couple of mundane holes, but ahead of Nemacolin among the Tillie's of Western PA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back