News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Baril

"Contest" The Future of Golf Course Architecture?
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:40:57 PM »
GOLF CLUB ATLAS WRITING CONTEST

To all GCAers:

Rick Baril, Jeffrey D. Brauer, and Kelly Blake Moran, in appreciation of YOUR interest in golf course architecture, have decided to sponsor an architectural writing contest. Special thanks to Ran Morrissett for allowing us to conduct this contest on Golf Club Atlas. While we (shamelessly paraphrasing C.B. McDonald) hope that this elevates golf in America, we are not yet convinced that this contest is “perfect and beyond criticism.”  Nonetheless, it should be entertaining.  

ESSAY TOPIC
“The Future of Golf Course Architecture.”

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

Eligibility:

Participation is open to any registered Golf Club Atlas member, excluding professional architects.  The first 50 (eligible) entries, or (eligible) entries submitted before Labor Day, 2004, whichever occurs first, will be accepted and judged.  Entrants will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the essay and “entrant number”.  Note: Eligible entries are essays submitted by Golf Club Atlas members and accepted (see “Eligible essays” below) by judges.

General rules:

Write a 500 word essay on the topic above
Submit it by e-mail to rbaril@vonhagge.com by September 6, 2004.

“Eligible essays” will be judged on creative writing, ideas expressed and ability to communicate thoughts clearly.  The essays should be upbeat, insightful, comprehensive and (if you think it’s appropriate) eloquent. Architect bashing, thrashing and/or abuse, although entertaining to some, will not be tolerated.  Judges reserve the right to refuse or disqualify any entrant or essay for, but not limited to, blatant bashing.  Have Fun – and, like your momma told ya, PLAY NICE!

Judges:
Jeffrey D. Brauer
Kelly Blake Moran
Richard A. Baril

We really haven’t figured out exactly what our individual criteria are, or how we will mesh our opinions in case of dispute, although, I understand Kelly was a hell of an arm wrestler at one point…..We also don’t know what to expect from the entries, so we will, as we so often do in our designs, “Just Wing It.”  We anticipate it will require three (3) weeks to judge entries.  Therefore, winners will be announced on or about September 27, 2004.

Please remember this phrase – “The Judges Decisions, while possibly made on a whim, or under the influence of alcohol, and definitely biased in ways we don’t fully understand, but merely hinted at above, shall be absolutely, positively, 110% final.  The Judges shall have no liability to any person for their decision in this regard.  (You would think that we wouldn’t have to put in this cheesy disclaimer, but in this day and age…….well, you never know!

Prizes:

For those who may not have a complete library of golf design books, here is an opportunity to add one of them to their library AND to expound on your favorite topic – Golf Course Architecture.  Rick and Jeff have donated extra books from their collection, as prizes.

1st - The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses by Tom Doak, copyright 1996

2nd – The Golf Course by Ron Whitten, 1987 Revised Edition (autographed by several ASGCA members)

3rd - The Architects of Golf, by Whitten and Cornish, 1993 (autographed by several ASGCA members)

We reserve the right to award special booby prizes for really bad writing – like a round of golf with us on one of our courses…….

Winning essays will be posted on Golf Club Atlas and Cybergolf.com (thus, relieving Jeff of having to write at least one installment under the section of “Brauer’s Book”) at the end of the contest.

If you already own all of these books, we ask that you allow other members the chance to own them.  If you own one or two, you may gently suggest that you would only be interested in the other, and we may shamelessly arrange the winning order to best accommodate entrants, at our discretion.  Or, we may just let you guys swap books, sell them, or put them up on EBay and retire to Jamaica…

The books will be sent to the winners free of charge. (Finally, there is something for free!”)  Winners will be solely responsible for applicable taxes.

We will be glad to answer any questions via this thread on Golf Club Atlas, up until August 28th, 2004.

Good Luck!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 05:09:32 PM by Rick Baril »

RJ_Daley

Re:The Future of Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 01:16:26 PM »
hmmm...how's my start?

...it was a dark and stormy day oustide of the inside sterile office with walls painted in battle ship greys, were Rolf, the junior associate archie, sat at his CADD-desk working station, thoughtlessly importing block drawn ameobas bunkers and plunking them willy nilly on a topo rooting plan, while wundering what his hottie wife was planning fer dinner tonight, when he would bring home his world wellknown golfing boss and CEO of "Golfing's Us Design Associates" of greater Laredo, TX., who he's buttering up for a promotion to chief assisitant design associate, of the northern Ontario division of GUDA, when they open up there next year.

Or does this have to be nun-ficshiun... :P ;D

Oh Dan Kelly, could you help me edit this stuff? :o
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 01:17:21 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 04:29:07 PM »
No Respones Yet (RJ Daley joke response not counted)?

This needs to be re-titled!

Win Free Stuff!  Get Your Own Copy of Confidential Guide!  Or the Golf Course!  Or, the Architects of Golf!

All you have to do is have writing coherent enough to be read!  Again, RJ's first post doesn't count!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 04:59:44 PM »
Not so Jeff- I've already written mine. Of course, I'm shooting for the round with the architect prize.

Rick Baril

Re:"Contest" The Future of Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 05:18:58 PM »
Jeff,
Original title - my fault, made ..."on a whim, or under the influence of alcohol,"...  (thank goodness for disclaimers).

Hopefully, the title is better now - although the original title apparently garnered over 100 hits - seekers of the "holy grail".

Seems like 4th prize has sparked interest - are you still willing to include a hot dog and a bag of chips with that?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 05:21:29 PM »
Rick,

Did you not specifiy that writers should make their intention known?  I guess Adam counts, as he says hes writing.

Hot Dog, Hockey Game, anyone wants to play with me, we'll do it up right.....

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 05:27:59 PM »
Jeff,

I'd be happy to contribute one of my rambling pseudo-intellectual tomes to your fledgling competition, but I find the word limitation a bit troubling.

You see, I normally take at least 500 misspelled words to reach the point of the piece. After that, although it normally fizzles (slowly) into an incomprehensible jumble of brain-flatulence, I am experienced enough to conjure up a cutsie, quasi-relevant ending to obscure the total lack of focus and thoughtful content.

Is the point to take a stab at what is to come, or indulge in some wishful thinking about what we hope for?

If bashing of architects is vebotten, then is Tommy N. automatically disqualified? I might suggest a special category and award for the most toxic rant directed at  a deserving target. . . . . . . . .

I know the name of my designated Pinata' . . . . . especially now that I know he thinks I'm an as*hole.

Barring that, as  I already own all three books, maybe you can dig up an original auotgraphed copy of George C. Thomas' Golf Architecture in America.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 05:31:48 PM by Gib Papazian »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:49:16 PM »
Gib,

From your post, I see the problem you face.....Why don't you submit your usual stuff and take a chance.  Brain Flatulence gladly reviewed and accepted......After all, look at the IQ of whose judging this contest anyway! ;)  (Three modern architects! Got to be brain dead, no? ;))

BTW, there are smarter guys than me, but um....are you in or are you out? ;D  If you win, you would have the option of bequeathing said prize to a worthy recipient.......

Tommy is very eloquent, but probably will have trouble writing something within the rules, based on his posts here.....but he is certainly not DQ'ed on entry.  On the other hand, based on posts here, perhaps Rick was under the influence to suggest we would get 50 of these things..... :(

In all seriousness, this is Rick's idea.  He/we thought some of you would have fun with it.  

The title is intended to be just vague enough to allow you latitude in your writing, and we encourage that just to see where it will go.  It could be serious, comedy, with the loosest of ties to the future, or whatever. None of us is smart enough to dictate a topic too closely.  

Isn't it a writers axiom to write what you know, write what you feel?

I don't care if you wax poetic about returning to core values, suggest a new paradigm, or say it will be totally regulated by the King of Archtects critics - Tommy N!  However, as one judge, I think you should focus on the philosphies of golf design, and not the personalities.  In other words - "Deep Thoughts." in SNL parlance......

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 06:05:41 PM »
TE Paul should be ineligible as he is obviously a professional based on output.  Ditto for Pat Mucci.  Maybe Tom MacWood.  Perhaps there should be "professional" and "amateur" divisions!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 06:10:33 PM »
TE Paul should be ineligible as he is obviously a professional based on output.  Ditto for Pat Mucci.  Maybe Tom MacWood.  Perhaps there should be "professional" and "amateur" divisions!

Bill,

I presume TEPaul will have trouble with the 500 word limit.....

Tom MacWood should be capable of presenting something very philosophical, and since you brought up his name, I think he would be an early favorite in this competition!  Pat would request 1000 words - 500 from some tormentor, and another 500 for his rebuttal to each quote, but that isn't gonna happen......Unless he and Tom M work in tandem with their pieces, which would certainly net creativity points! ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 08:09:38 PM »
I think I will have a go at this. I already have my title...

"The Influence of Corporate IBG on Golf Course Design"

500 words ought to be all anyone can tolerate.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 11:52:12 AM »
Jeff,

I have to admit to being a trifle offended by your establishing a "favorite" in the competition. Particularly Tom MacWood. After wading unsuccessfully (with hip boots) through golf architecture's "War and Peace" essays, suggesting that another deadly serious, didactic recitation of divine omniscience from that pedantic Buckeye is enough to make me take up tennis. ;)

And it smacks of BIAS!

Yes, the dreaded "B-word."

So, now that you have thrown down the gauntlet, I shall take up the challenge. Tom Paul would be a formidable foe, but the word limitation virtually eliminates him. Patrick is a worrysome, but as long as I do not have to use logic, reason or a bibliography, my meandering drivel might have a chance.    ;)

All this stated, after having a look at Dick Daley's opening salvo, the Armenian might have to settle for the silver medal. What does that win?

If  you REALLY want to get 50 entries, my suggestion would be to allow the winner to design and build a hole on one of your courses.

It worked for C.B. Macdonald - and brought MacKenzie to  America.

How 'bout it guys? Got any guts?

T_MacWood

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 12:14:52 PM »
Gib
I wouldn't take offense...I'm sure the slight is simply due to your infrequent posts on GCA (comparatively). I'm thankful anyone (especially yourself) had the stamina to get through that entire big one. I probalby should have broken it out into fifty or so shorter snipits for easier digestion.

I look forward to reading your essay on Gib Papazian...errr...The Future of GA.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 12:33:14 PM »
Professor MacWood,

A *slight?* Pardon?  No my friend, just an example of professional jealousy. My editor has long suggested that my polysyllabic drivel is light, airy and invariably written off the top of my head. The essay will indeed be "on Gib Papazian," because what goes on the paper is usually little more than what falls out of my ear.

In other words, I was just giving you the dique . . . .    ;)

That stated, I like the idea of awarding the winner a shot at desigining a golf hole on a new course.

Brauer better not pick my essay as the winner, unless he wants a Redan-Cape-Knoll-Channel-Raynor's Prize-Punchbowl-Alps-Eden composite hole with five different routes to a green fronted by a Road Bunker.

I'm sure it will fit in with the rest of the course as long as they let me make a few modifications . . . . . .

P.S. My last contribution to "In My Opinion" was every bit as dry and grimly serious as the Arts & Crafts series.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:35:41 PM by Gib Papazian »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 07:22:10 PM »
Ahh....

Shamelessly bringing this back to the top, as very few seem to be signing up for the chance of a lifetime to win some great books.

I notice Kelly and Rick haven't exactly jumped in to offer someone a chance to design one golf hole.......I do have a project in the design stage in Kansas, with one hole troubling me.....do I dare?

If I did, it would have to be on the condition that I get to gently "edit" the concept to make it fit the overall style.  Of course, the winning peice going in cybergolf may be subject to the same criteria, although we are both limited to 500 words, so it should remain intact.

I'll accept input from the winner, but no guarantees that it can go in exactly as planned.  I do have a paying client you know!

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
I'm a little confused as to the whole "signing up" thing. I have some ideas about what I'd like to write, but you've given us a good bit of time, so I'd naturally like to flesh out my ideas a little more. Are you saying we need to notify you of our intentions to enter? I thought the whole point was that you were notifying us as to the contest, and entries are to be submitted in a couple weeks? The lack of posts to me simply indicate that people are thinking about the subject, not looking to comment on the idea of the contest itself.

Regarding the prizes, I have the books in question, but another copy of TD's book would be much appreciated, as we all know what it's selling for on ebay. :)

I wouldn't subject anyone other than myself to one of my hole designs. That's a little above and beyond for a fun contest, IMO.

I'd trade a bunch of my books for a round with any of the architects sponsoring the contest. Heck, Kelly's posts are among the most entertaining on the site - I'd be happy just to share a beer or three with him.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 08:49:21 PM »
George,

I think Rick wanted you to submit, either through this thread, or an email to him your intention to enter a piece.  Then, of course, the piece would be due labor day, via private email to Rick at the address listed.  We just want to know how much we have ahead of us in reading and judging, etc.

As to the hole design, I wouldn't let anyone do anything too goofy, but would accept a general concept and try to get it as close as possible.  Of course, since I am responsible for a middle range budget, things like the Sahara bunker would have to be modified, if proposed......
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 09:02:14 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 08:58:30 PM »
Rick Baril,

I think you've hit on a great idea.
One that should be continued in the future.

I'll be unable to make a meaningful post on the subject until after mid-September, but have every confidence that Gib, a reigned in TEPaul, Tom MacWood, Tommy Naccarato and many others can produce excellent work.

Again, it's a great idea.

Rick Baril

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 10:16:08 AM »
Sorry, for being quiet  – I was absent the past two days – 1 mentally and 1 physically.

Contest update - Today we have 1 eligible entrant.

Response to GCA posts:
•   Entries are to be e-mailed to rbaril@vonhagge.com  When I receive your entry it is reviewed to confirm it “fundamentally” follows the rules and guidelines.  Then, a reply is sent to the entrant which basically says, “thank you, you are entrant number “x”.  This reply is also copied to Jeff and Kelly – so they have a copy of the essay and the entrant number.  No need to make your writing intentions known – just e-mail your essay.  The only way to be eligible is to send your entry and receive an entrant number.  Stating your intentions, good, bad or otherwise, doesn’t count.
•   Every few days we will post the number of received essays so everyone will know how many entries have been submitted.  The contest ends when we receive 50 entries or on Labor Day, whichever occurs first.  
•   We thought the books would sufficiently entice GCA’ers.  It appears you want more meat.  So, I think we need to adjourn to the judges chambers and discuss increasing the stakes.  "Hole contest" is duly noted and will be discussed among the judges.
•   Regarding the essay topic – Jeff stated it perfectly – we wanted to provide direction or theme - but not training wheels.  

(Note: Any mistakes or confusion about the contest or rules of engagement are my fault. Jeff has, as usual, provided wise and reasonable counsel and Kelly has been suspiciously quiet.)

Response to phone calls and e-mails:
To keep the playing field even, I’ll post (to the best of my recollection) answers to questions received by phone and e-mail:

Why the judges:  
Jeff Brauer, by virtue of his diplomatic demeanor (also, I think I caught him at a weak moment.)  Swept up in the lunacy of the moment, he was even gracious enough to offer 2nd and 3rd prizes.  
Kelly Moran, by virtue of a long standing relationship and ongoing curiosity about his propensity for controversy.
Me, because I knew where to find a copy of TCG and rather than profiting in an obscene manner I thought some people on this site might enjoy an opportunity to own it.  Perhaps I was wrong.
Thank you, we don’t need more judges.  We are confused enough with the three we have but certainly appreciate your offer and interest.

Is the TCG autographed?
Not yet, who’s autograph would you like on it?

Sorry this TCG is not for sale – May I suggest you try used books stores in Texas.  This copy was languishing in one, unable to fetch the $7.95 price. (And yes, some would construe this - TCG for $7.95 - as additional proof that sophistication in golf, as in other things, may be conspicuously absent in Texas.) :o

Pat M.  Great to hear from you – hope you are doing well!!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 10:31:30 AM »
Rick,
Please let us know which bookstores your frequent.
As a Houstonian, maybe I can stuble across a few?
You have a very cool office.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 10:35:39 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why not post the essays as they come in on the site?  

It is not like anybody is going to be able to steal and ideas because we all think alike anyway . . . . .  ;D

Rick Baril

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 11:25:35 AM »
Mike,
Half Price Books - they buy books by the pound and sell them by the ounce - don't know what controls they have but volume seems to be their thing - so they may not investigate the value of an individual book.  Actually there were 2 copies - but I'm keeping one for my library- Sorry.

Gib,  
Re: posting entries - Judge, Jeff B. made a good point during the formation of the contest - It's better if the entrants work in a vacuum and don't have the benefit or disadvantage of seeing other entries.  The other point is;  seperating the "chaff from the grain", as we surmised there would be OT comments and we thought it would make our task easier if we gathered essays "off site".  We aren't trying to hide anything.  We anticipated that everyone may like to see all the essays and discussed doing this at the end of the contest.

Suggestions to improve the contest are always welcome - thanks for your input  

Rick Baril

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2004, 11:48:37 AM »
Mike,

Since you're in Houston - Are you up for some golf Friday?  We (Architects, Supers and Contractors) are having one of our sporadic golf outings.  We have an event scheduled for Friday at Magnolia Creek - tee times start at 12:30 I believe there is room for 2 - you game?

Let me know ASAP.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2004, 12:12:02 PM »
The problem is that I have already published several essays on the subject - further complicated by the fact that my thoughts have not changed.

However, given my secret desire to build (force) an Alps replica on Brauer, I will try to cough up something new and salient.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 04:26:49 PM »
And the actual prize....

Rick say keep 'em coming.

cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back