News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

The Craziest Links in the World
« on: May 18, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »
Cruden Bay?  Nah.  Ballybunion?  Nope.  Pennard?  No!

It's Perranporth in Cornwall (Braid).  I'll lable the pics later and add the back nine.

Wicked sloping green on 1st: 380 yds downhill, right-left canted fairway.

Blind par 5 second: 500yds uphill.

Most holes have a number sign...so many blind shots, nobody knows where the hell they are!

Double hollow green at 2nd

Panorama from 3rd: 360 yds-knob to knob.

Approach to pulpit green at 3rd (lots of these)

Semi blind par 3: 200yds  A really good one here...a running draw is the shot.

Looking back.

Crazy par 5 5th: 530yds.  Smack it on the number sign.

View over the brow.

You can see the post high up in the distance.  If you can carry the dune, a 350-400 yd drive beckons/

Short par 3: 130yds.

Looking back at lovely par 4 7th: 365 yds.

8th tee: 290 yds downhill and easily reachable in terms of distance.

Keep right at the 8th green.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:16:48 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

George Pazin

Re:The Craziest Links in the World
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 01:23:35 PM »
Wow. Thanks for posting.

How 'bout the yardage from the tips and the slope? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 01:42:53 PM »
Paul, some Painswickian touches there!

Mat Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:50:04 PM »
Georgie,
You forgot to ask for contact information.  A mea culpa on your part amigo, but PULEHHHHEEEEEEEEEZZZZ never forget contact information!

Paul, I need all of the information (slope, course rating, yardage) you have from the very tips. I'm not talking about the back tips, I'm talking about the very back of the back tips to the point you'll fall over into gorse and bramble. This all adds to the driving challenge.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 02:04:57 PM »
Paul,

Fantastic photos (as usual) and immensely helpful for next update of Times Guide (not currently in the offing).  It goes on my must visit list.

Mark.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 02:35:19 PM »

9th approach, 365 yds uphill.

10th approach. Cool green here.  350 yds uphill.

Long 11th 540 yds.

3 pulpit greens on view.  11th, 12th and 14th.  I tried the run up shot to the 11th, but the bank is really too steep for the shot.

Lovely 12th.  Hit a shot straight over the number; never saw it again.

Stunning 13th.  What a back drop.  It's driveable, 300 downhill, but you have to hit the perfect shot and be a bit lucky.

Lovely jubbly!

3 tier green here: low-high-low.

14th, turning left.  395 yard uphill.

14th green.

Super par 3 16th.  210 yards downhill.

Lots of crap on the right.  Green is severe.

18th. 280 yds, downhill.

Poser

No pics of 15, 17 but these are cool holes too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 09:53:07 AM by Paul_Turner »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 02:38:06 PM »
Paul said, "You can see the post high up in the distance.  If you can carry the dune, a 350-400 yd drive beckons."

How far is it to carry the hill you pictured?

Thanks ...

P.S. As George mentioned can you share what the yardage is for the course along with par.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 02:41:10 PM »
Matt

It's about 280 yds to clear the dune.  You have to be reasonably accurate to hit the narrow sward of fairway.

Course is about 6300 yds.  No hole starts with the number 4!  Plenty of tough par 5s though.  It's a ball gobbler too.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
par 72, SSS 72

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »
Paul -- Looking at these photos was the best part of my day today. Thank you.

Perranporth makes every other course I've seen or played seem ridiculously over-built.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 04:04:12 PM »
Best part of my day, too. Thanks, Paul.

Any chance you could annotate the photos a
bit? Tell us par, length, and a little about how they
play?

Thanks, in any case. Rick S. says this looks like just the
place for me. It does look like high fun.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 06:40:25 PM »
Paul:

Having played Pennard and given it's unique location and it's own particular style of quirk what in your opinion makes it a  second place choice behind the glorious pictures you posted?

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 08:12:17 PM »
Paul:

You're right---that probably is the craziest links in the world. The course looks hilariously fun to play but some of the stuff out there is just plain hilarious. Those hole number signs---what in the world are those things that look like cart paths doing on a course like that not top mention incredibly ugly trailers parked side by side next to the 18th and a water hazard the size of a toilet bowl? GeoffShac once wrote an article about humor in architecture and that course looks like it has a boatload of that. I think a local stymie rule should be mandatory there.

Thanks for the photos---you always come up with such interesting ones from over there!

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 09:37:48 PM »
Fabulous!! I think I have a new love!

Made my day, Paul, and thanks for sharing.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Doug Siebert

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 12:40:12 AM »
Nice....getting me in the mood for my trip to Ireland next month...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

SPDB

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 12:56:55 AM »
Paul - Thanks for the pics. Looks awesome.
Quick question, if you miss long on 18, how
much is the cab back from town?

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 06:01:54 AM »
Do you see that last photo Paul posted entitled "poser" (with the golfer in it)?

That single photo very well may be the most perfect combination of "line" tie-ins of every imaginable shape and angle all backdropped by the flat "lines" of the sea behind, that little green tucked in between and the lines of the ground in the foreground highlighted by those grasses. The flat-topped formation on the right and the convex mound on the left just says it all about the availability of all kinds of things useful throughout the evolution of golf and its architecture.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:02:57 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 06:06:39 AM »
Not to mention the little white ball conspicously in the foreground of that awesome shot. Paul, if you took that photograph it just might make you famous someday. That just may be one of the overall most interesting photos for a true golf architecture lover there's ever been!

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 06:09:45 AM »
Paul T

GREAT STUFF!!!

I hereby give up in my quest to find the craziest links in the world!  Painswick looks like child's play v. Perranporth.

T Paul

Paul T should have said "poseur", or even "Naffeur", but we got his point.........

NAF

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 07:26:54 AM »
Paul, you slack jawed English Beatle, where is my credit for demanding we go to Perranporth!!!!!  And I am not a poser in those pictures, you are such a spiteful fellow!

Without a doubt, Paul and my visit to Perranporth was the highlight of our recent trip.  The course actually was originally mentioned to me by my friend Russell Talley but we did not have the chance to visit it during a trip to St. Enodoc last year.

There is almost nothing in the world of golf and in the British Isles that prepared me for Perranporth.  Having seen so many quirky golf courses and loved them, this one does indeed make Painswick and Pennard look benign in spots.

The great thing about P-porth is you realize the sportyness of the course right from the get go.  The fairway at the first slopes right to left like the Titanic before it went down and during the summer I wonder how you hold the fairway.  The green is no bargain either and falls away from you.

The 2nd hole is in my opinion the craziest on the course and should be a compendium of ALL WORLD quirky holes.  The first shot is blind over the dunes and I reckon you need to hit a high cut about 270ish.  If you can hit it near 300 you'll have a shot at seeing the green. If not, then you have
another blind shot that must be hit with a draw to the green over another sand hill.. And the green?  As Paul Turner stated, it is double hollowed and looks right out of NGLA!  One of the best greens I've seen in the United Kingdom.

The 3rd has one of the best skyline greens on the course, but don't worry you still have about 10 more after you finish that hole.  It very much reminded me of the approach to Ballybunion #2.  It looks like you can never hit a ball that high to hold the green, it is like approaching a green in heaven.

Paul Turner, that slack jawed John Lennon lookalike, is too proud to admit it but he almost aced the 4th hole knocking it to 3 inches from 200 yards with a 1 iron-- where is Lee Trevino?- cause only G-d and Paul Turner can hit that club.. We never saw it though as the hole is semi blind and
Paul figured it had redannish qualities which it did and he hit the softest draw with a 1 iron I'll ever see.

The 5th is another crazy par 5 which is a way reminded me of #16 at St. Enodoc because a great drive will go almost 350+ yards with the fairway's borrow and roll.  The tee shot frame is awesome b/t some sand hills and over another hill in the distance.  

The 6th played into the wind and reminded me a bit of Doak's #11 at Pac Dunes as bunkers short can catch a short iron approach. Paul and I both could not read the wind and wound up in the bunkers. Same thing (being short) happened to me at Pac Dunes.

The 8th is reachable but during the summer you'd have to play the opposite strategy of playing a hard fade to hold the fairway. Right now the slope aids a draw with a long iron-see Paul Turner 1 iron to hold the green.

At the 9th you see one of the drawbacks of Perranporth..There is a caravan on the course, yes a caravan, Paul and I even saw some crazy bloke driving on the sand dunes!

The back 9 is no less quirky than the front but I'd like to highlight some things.

The great par 5s continue with the 11th where it is OB to the right and a hard cut is needed again.

The 13th reaches the closest point to the ocean (although like Pennard the course is in the sky albeit probably only 100 feet or so--again like Pac Dunes).  We played the 13th into the setting sun over Perranporth beach which is one of the most fabulous views in golf.  The tri level green is
another Braid special. Who creates all of these blind shots and then these crazy greens???

The 14th was when I realized Paul Turner was a sick man, a spiteful man!  He hit a hook that went over a sand hill and yet somehow despite being 50 yards left wound up in the middle of the fairway.  Yes, the middle of the fairway for a hole that asked for a fade.  Now, I don't know what
divine power was in control here, I mean I prayed at the Church of St. Enodoc earlier that day for my golf game was shite and was rewarded by an amazing eagle at the 16th at St.Enodoc but this was spectacular.  Paul Turner can tell the story but there was someone listening to me in that heavenly church on hallowed turf.

Yardage, slope, hell everything in modern golf is thrown out at Perranporth.  It is like golf in the old days in the books that show British links in the late 1800s/early 1900s.  Sporty, fun against nature.  We told Tom Doak to go there at Painswick, I wonder what he thought.  Perhaps,
even too quirky for him.  

James Braid should be considered the king of quirky golf--Perranporth, Pennard and St. Enodoc, what a resume!

One last thing, Perranporth has perhaps the coolest symbol in golf, very akin to the golf we played there.  In truth, it is a black shadowy saint with a halo and staff facing the sun with a shark below him.  In reality, it looks like the grim reaper.  Quite spectacular.

PPS-those are NOT cart paths, they are crushed sea shell paths.. I don't like the look either, but it is natural.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 03:26:09 PM by Noel Freeman »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 07:49:29 AM »
Thanks Paul and Noel, great photos. If the Polish Navy gives me a day off I will definetly being trying to get out there. The golf looks better than the cool shirts they sell there!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Paul_Turner

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 08:00:30 AM »
NAF

Good summary.  We need to get the logo up.

After a few days of nervous ticks and wanting to quit the game The NAFFER got on his knees at Betjamin's church...his golf got steadily better and then culminated with an eagle at the 16th.  Which might even convert me!

Matt

Perranporth beats Pennard in the wild category because its dunes are much larger and it still has the large elevation changes with the dramatic views of the sea.  

I do however prefer the castle ruin at Pennard to the caravans at Perranporth  :D

PS

Some of those skyline greens would become very difficult in a high wind (Pennard is a better course).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:39:59 AM by Paul_Turner »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 09:41:59 AM »
Noel aka the Poser did rave about this course over dinner so he deserved the explorer award for finding out of the way courses.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 10:18:19 AM »
Has anyone noticed the matching quirky and variable skies, apparently alternating sun showers with overcast and then sun light again as these intrepid golfers made their way around the course?  You can actually enjoy these pictures by looking at the sky and not the quirkfest of grounds.  Paul and the Noel, I can only imagine what a fresh spring smell this course has to compliment the walking game through its mysterious dunes.  I don't think it can get any better than that.  Variable sky plays over rolling ground... the only other place I feel this happens is in the vastness of Nebraska sand hills.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 10:27:47 AM »
RJ

Yes the light was atmospheric to say the least.  The change from the 13th to the 14th is going from into the sun to away.  The mist was rolling in from the sea.  My pics don't quite capture the beauty of the cliff/coastline, with the town and beach.  It's certainly one of the most beautiful courses anywhere.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back